NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread #WinItAll4theHAUL

Phire

my 3 worries are LB, OT, and S

I think Rasuul should move to Safety, McCleod is trash and needs to go. but could use a S to replace Jenkins, and hopefully trade jenkins and get some value

OT im not moving Lane from RT so i think we need to look hard at some LT's

LB IMO isn't our #1 need. Bradham will be resigned more then enough room for him after Torrey smith is gone. 

my top 3 that could be available for us whether it be a reach or trade down

OT:

Chukwuma Okorafor

Brian O'Neill

Kolton Miller

S:

#1 Deshon Elliott

#2 Justin Reid

#3A Armani Watts

#3B Marcus Allen

LB:

Tremaine Edmunds

Malik Jefferson

Josey Jewell

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

yeah but Howie 2.0 has to be sitting there watching the game and noticing that good LB play makes the defense really good. 

So you think he'll give up on Hicks, or you think he doesn't think he can resign Hicks after '18 for the low low? 

17 hours ago, Jeezla said:

And we really need to try and improve our backup QB situation with one of those picks. We need to stop shelling out 4+ mill a season for Nick Foles/Chase Daniels caliber bums, and groom a rook with some arm talent and athleticism to succeed should Wentz get hurt again, all while making about 600K a season.

I feel like I've been beating this drum for years now...that said we're stuck with Foles for another season so ya might as well just accept it for 2018 since he's making 7.6 mil and its 5.4 mil dead money to cut him :eye roll emoji:

That said....if he does well in this playoff run and or early next season his contract is set up as SUPER trade bait if any suckers think he's a starting QB. He basically has 3 more years of team option 6.1 mil which would be a bargain if he's your starter.

17 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I don't want Roquan. He needs to play WLB imo, and that's also where I think Hicks needs to be. We need a MLB with more size and ability to stack and shed, like Vander Esch or Tremaine Edmunds, then we can move Hicks to WLB where he will take less of a beating.

Eh...you're right he's not the biggest MLB but he's a MLB.

Also I really want to push this hard...I know we only have one pick in the first 4 rounds and I have always subscribed to the "don't worry about the Cap with Howie" but....

- We're OVER the cap by 4.2 mil for 2018

- We will have about 3.5 mil in rollover (note: We're normally consistently near the top of the league in rollover cap space)

- We have FAs that include Bradham, Sproles, Robinson and Beau Allen.

- We still need to sign any rookies

We will need to find a couple starters/important depth guys in this draft unless we do some serious shedding next season (read: cut starters). Torrey Smith gets us a little breathing room but that might not even be enough to sign our first draft pick.

27 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also I really want to push this hard...I know we only have one pick in the first 4 rounds and I have always subscribed to the "don't worry about the Cap with Howie" but....

- We're OVER the cap by 4.2 mil for 2018

- We will have about 3.5 mil in rollover (note: We're normally consistently near the top of the league in rollover cap space)

- We have FAs that include Bradham, Sproles, Robinson and Beau Allen.

- We still need to sign any rookies

We will need to find a couple starters/important depth guys in this draft unless we do some serious shedding next season (read: cut starters). Torrey Smith gets us a little breathing room but that might not even be enough to sign our first draft pick.

You should worry about the cap. But not tremendously. 

Here are the ways that money can be saved that makes sense to me:

1) Torrey Smith is cut. Saves $5 million

2) Brent Celek is cut. Saves $4 million.

3) Lane Johnson restructures. Because of his suspensions all of his guaranteed base salary turned to non guaranteed base salary. He has a really big base salary in 2018. A good chunk of that can be converted to signing bonus and spread across the remaining years of his contract to give him more guarantees and the Eagles a decent chunk of salary cap space. The  OTC thing I use I think freed up like 6 or 7 million from that move. There are other players who could restructure too but over restructuring can really damage future cap (see Dallas Cowboys this past offseason). Johnson is a pretty safe restructure candidate though.

4) Jason Peters is of course an interesting case. He is costing 11 or 12 million on the cap. Does he retire? Or do the Eagles cut him? Does he stay? If he retires or they June 1st cut him, that saves $8 million. I don't like the idea of cutting him with only Vatai to replace him though. 

5) Vinny Curry has an $11 million dollar cap hit. He could be someone that they can trade after a good season, open up about $5 million and possibly can get some good draft capital back. If they can't work out a trade that makes sense a June 1st cut designation will mean he saves $8 million against the cap. With Graham, Barnett and Long on the roster, I don't see how Curry stays with that price tag and the Eagles current cap.

6) You can also restructure Fletcher Cox and his 17 million dollar cap hit. I saved over $9 mill against the cap with the calculator I use. But once again restructures are a slippery slope. You don't want too many of those.

If all 6 of these things happen, Eagles would sit at around $30 million dollars of cap space. Are all these moves worth $30 million of cap space though?

I think the only returning player that NEEDS to be resigned is Bradham. Resigning Robinson would be my second priority. It is pretty much a certainty to me that Burton, Allen and Sproles are gone. I wouldn't be concerned about the Eagles not being able to sign picks, but don't expect many free agent changes either.

14 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

You should worry about the cap. But not tremendously. 

Here are the ways that money can be saved that makes sense to me:

1) Torrey Smith is cut. Saves $5 million

2) Brent Celek is cut. Saves $4 million.

3) Lane Johnson restructures. Because of his suspensions all of his guaranteed base salary turned to non guaranteed base salary. He has a really big base salary in 2018. A good chunk of that can be converted to signing bonus and spread across the remaining years of his contract to give him more guarantees and the Eagles a decent chunk of salary cap space. The  OTC thing I use I think freed up like 6 or 7 million from that move. There are other players who could restructure too but over restructuring can really damage future cap (see Dallas Cowboys this past offseason). Johnson is a pretty safe restructure candidate though.

4) Jason Peters is of course an interesting case. He is costing 11 or 12 million on the cap. Does he retire? Or do the Eagles cut him? Does he stay? If he retires or they June 1st cut him, that saves $8 million. I don't like the idea of cutting him with only Vatai to replace him though. 

5) Vinny Curry has an $11 million dollar cap hit. He could be someone that they can trade after a good season, open up about $5 million and possibly can get some good draft capital back. If they can't work out a trade that makes sense a June 1st cut designation will mean he saves $8 million against the cap. With Graham, Barnett and Long on the roster, I don't see how Curry stays with that price tag and the Eagles current cap.

6) You can also restructure Fletcher Cox and his 17 million dollar cap hit. I saved over $9 mill against the cap with the calculator I use. But once again restructures are a slippery slope. You don't want too many of those.

If all 6 of these things happen, Eagles would sit at around $30 million dollars of cap space. Are all these moves worth $30 million of cap space though?

I think the only returning player that NEEDS to be resigned is Bradham. Resigning Robinson would be my second priority. It is pretty much a certainty to me that Burton, Allen and Sproles are gone. I wouldn't be concerned about the Eagles not being able to sign picks, but don't expect many free agent changes either.

1) I accounted for Torrey, I'm pretty sure he's the easy goner off the top

2) We've said this for Brent for a few years now and in spite of that they keep upping his contract. That said you're right, this could be the year he gets the suggestion about retirement.

3) Lane Johnson restructure is a good one. I didn't really get into them because they don't happen often but I think with his suspension and removal of guaranteed money there is a case to be made here.

4) Peters....definitely the interesting case. That said if we cut him we need to find a new LT with either draft picks or the cap space created by his cut.

5) Curry has had a bullseye on him because of his high cap number but are we really ready for Barnett full time? It hasn't been something the Eagles have done historically.

6) Fletcher won't get restructured. he just signed it last year and his contract still has 38+ mil guaranteed left and doesn't expire until 2023. Generally you give player more money or more years in a restructure and I don't think he needs either right now.

That said I don't think we go into this offseason with anywhere near 30 mil and I believe it will be much closer to the cap than that without any major signings.

16 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

1) I accounted for Torrey, I'm pretty sure he's the easy goner off the top

2) We've said this for Brent for a few years now and in spite of that they keep upping his contract. That said you're right, this could be the year he gets the suggestion about retirement.

3) Lane Johnson restructure is a good one. I didn't really get into them because they don't happen often but I think with his suspension and removal of guaranteed money there is a case to be made here.

4) Peters....definitely the interesting case. That said if we cut him we need to find a new LT with either draft picks or the cap space created by his cut.

5) Curry has had a bullseye on him because of his high cap number but are we really ready for Barnett full time? It hasn't been something the Eagles have done historically.

6) Fletcher won't get restructured. he just signed it last year and his contract still has 38+ mil guaranteed left and doesn't expire until 2023. Generally you give player more money or more years in a restructure and I don't think he needs either right now.

That said I don't think we go into this offseason with anywhere near 30 mil and I believe it will be much closer to the cap than that without any major signings.

You don't give more money or more years in a restructure. You just convert unguarenteed base salary into guaranteed signing bonus and spread that through out the remaining years of that contract. In doing that you decrease the players cap hit for that current year but increase it (and make more guaranteed money) in future years

Pros for restructuring Cox is that he has a lot of years left to spread it out and you know he isn't in danger of getting cut. Cox's contract runs out of signing bonus after 2020, so a restructure gives him more guarantees later in the contract. 

Cons his cap hit for 2019 is 22 million and 20 million for 2020. A restructure will make those numbers go up.

So he is by no means an ideal restructure candidate for that reason but it is possible and not crippling if the Eagles wanted to go that route.

As far as Curry, I'd be more than comfortable Barnett and Long splitting reps. I think the Eagles like Stephen Means and think he can be a pretty effective 4th DE or you can pick up a guy on the cheap to fill that role. I'd have no problem moving on from Curry. I do like Curry a lot but it just doesn't seem to make sense to keep him.

Archived