Are the Saints overwhelming Super Bowl LIV favs? Saints window closing?

Championshiporbust

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Except that they weren't. Even if they were lucky enough to make it to the Super Bowl, the Patriots were going to spank them. I'd have taken the Chiefs over them in a rematch too, tbh.

Next year? Probably still a top 3 NFC team, but I wouldn't call them the favorites at all. I think the favorites will be the Chiefs and the Rams. Who knows about the Patriots though...they are seemingly unbeatable every off-season, so they'll probably surface as the favorites come playoff time if Brady is still around (likely to be).

They won't be one of the best teams in NFC and I'm confident they won't win the divison either. Brees looks done and I think Bucs and Falcons will be better than them

9 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Actually even though it’s way too early to make odds Vegas already has them out and they’re saying right now it’ll be an all L.A. invasion of Miami next year.

Chargers def won't make SB, they have the talent but they'll always gonna fold in the playoffs 

If the Patriots have confirmed anything this year it's that they should be the annual favorite every year until proven otherwise. 

Also, the Saints window is open as long as Brees wears the uniform. They're still a legit contender, but not what I would call the outright favorite. 

59 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

The field, and it's the NFC South. 

Plus the Saints were fortunate staying healthy this season. 

Actually, oline not staying healthy was a big reason(probably the biggest reason) the offense  went downhill at the end of the season.  You can point to many things, like maybe defenses selling out to stop short passes, but the oline was a lot worse with just about every starter injured.  Had they been healthy, the offense still would have produced at a very high level, even if not at the historical pace they were on.

The big names stayed healthy for the most part, but the oline and especially Armstead were a big part of the offense and did not stay healthy.

Nobody is talking about how downright dominant their O-Line was this year. If that unit continues to perform at that level, they will remain borderline unstoppable.

That said, gun to my head, the Falcons are really due to have phenomenal season next year.

14 hours ago, btfd16 said:

Offseason can change a lot, but I fully expect Chiefs to be favs with Rams and Pats close behind and Saints closely behind them. Like a 6-1, 7-1 and 8-1 respectively.

Probably. I haven't looked at the latest odds and they will remain fluid until after the draft but my guess is Patriots/Chiefs/Rams will settle in as the 3 co-favorites. Saints should be 4th because they won't have many draftpicks, not a lot of caproom.

I'd wait to see how much work Chiefs do on their defence before putting money on them, they were second bottom last season with the most yards allowed per game. It just shows what an incredible job Mahomes did whilst not seeing that much of the field. Let's face it, if they can formulate a defence then they will be difficult to stop. I would make them favourites at the moment knowing what they need to add and focus on is so obvious. 

If I had to pick one team to win it next year, I would personally go for the Chiefs providing their front office and DC does their job. 

Rams, Texans, Bears, Colts, Pats, Saints & Cowboys will all be there or thereabouts in the POs. I'm confident about the Rams chances as I trust McVay and our front office to do what's needed. We also have Donald, Goff & Gurley. It will be interesting to see what we do in free agencies. 

2 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

I'd wait to see how much work Chiefs do on their defence before putting money on them, they were second bottom last season with the most yards allowed per game. It just shows what an incredible job Mahomes did whilst not seeing that much of the field. Let's face it, if they can formulate a defence then they will be difficult to stop. I would make them favourites at the moment knowing what they need to add and focus on is so obvious. 

If I had to pick one team to win it next year, I would personally go for the Chiefs providing their front office and DC does their job. 

Rams, Texans, Bears, Colts, Pats, Saints & Cowboys will all be there or thereabouts in the POs. I'm confident about the Rams chances as I trust McVay and our front office to do what's needed. We also have Donald, Goff & Gurley. It will be interesting to see what we do in free agencies. 

In my mind, the Chiefs are absolutely going all in next year.

I expect the offense likely to take a very small step back and the defense to be quite a bit better.

There's already some good talent on the defense but their GM Veach knows he needs to go big this offseason. Spagnuolo is an unknown but he can only be better than Sutton at this point.

I expect the Chiefs next year to have their best team in the foreseeable future, including this year, before they have several top players nearing the end of their prime but who should still be pretty good next year (Houston, Fisher, Schwartz, Kelce, Ford on the tag, Berry, etc.).

The Saints were supposed to be the favorites this season based on what happened in the Minnesota with the miracle play. Brees and the Saints offense wasnt the same after that Dallas game late in the season. Has father time caught up with Brees? Idk. If we are going to get late in the season in 2019 and get the same Brees and the Saints offense like we saw this season then certainly no the Saints arent winning the Superbowl. They will always have a chance as long as Payton and Brees is on the team but Im not going to say they are overwhelming favorites. Im looking at the Falcons in the NFC South. They get back healthy and the got rid of their offensive coordinator Sarkisian. Those are big pluses right there. Then we look at in general in the NFC is going to be tough again. 

My thing is with the Saints too is when Payton says that missed call is something you can never recover from. They better not have that mindset. The Raiders never recovered from the "tuck rule". The Bills never recovered from 4 straight Superbowl losses. It took the Rams until now just to recover from losing to the Pats in the 2001 Superbowl in the manner of what us Rams fans and those Rams players strongly believe really happened. So if the Saints want to get back to the NFCCG, they have to move on from what happened this season. If not then it could be awhile before they get back to the NFCCG again. 

I wouldn't say overwhelming favorites. I think they are on a short list if Brees doesn't regress anymore...Would think right now that KC is probably the favorite as I think the upgrade at DC will make a difference. I also believe they have some cap space to make moves but that might be incorrect.

12 hours ago, tom cody said:

They should be a favorite but we have the offseason yet, plenty of people to be signed and drafted. To soon to say something like the statement in the heading of the thread. 

this

if i had to pick a favourite i’d probably say the saints but it all depends on the draft and FA

especially what the rams do in FA

bc they could be one year wonders with the dream team splitting, or maybe if guys like suh get a ring they might take a pay cut to stay and get more

Archived