Jump to content
x0x

Has Julian Edelman punched his ticket?

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

  1. 1. For playoff performance

    • Yes
      28
    • No
      131


Recommended Posts

I know most people are saying no chance, but for anyone who is giving him a shot...

Edelman in 9 years 499 receptions for 5390 yards and 30 TDs

Antonio Brown in 3 years 375 receptions for 5031 yards and 31 TDs

AJ Green in 4 years 350 receptions for 5114 yards and 38 TDs

Denadre Hopkins in 4 years 361 receptions for 5063 yards and 34 TDs

Dude is producing at a rate of about 1/3rd of the best WRs in the league.

His playoff production is just a matter of who he plays for, there are dozens of WRs who would have surpassed his playoff yardage totals if they had been drafted by the patriots. Hell, Larry Fitzgerald could very likely have surpassed 3000 by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Fred Dean was a 2 time first team All Pro, and 4 time Pro Bowl selection. He also had a year in which he had 17.5 sacks. He was a vital force on the defensive line, and his importance was immediately felt for the Chargers when he was traded, and their defense started to crumble in 1981. Edelman has never had that kind of impact as a WR among his peers. 

Floyd Little I haven't seen play, but again first team All Pro, and 5 time Pro Bowl selection. 

Both of these guys were at least thought of among scribes as among the best in the NFL in comparison to their peers when they played. Edleman never has been. 

Life isn't fair. Rings give you a massive bump. Henry Ellard hasn't even gotten on a finalist ballot and yet Swann got in. That's as insane a disparity as it gets.

I don't see a 4-time Super Bowl champion who has a playoff career record for something and SB MVP being kept out forever. 

That's my scenario because I see at least 2 more seasons of Brady-Edelman contending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bulk Stats don't matter. 

It's the same reason Frank Gore won't be in the hall of fame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bulk Stats don't matter. 

It's the same reason Frank Gore won't be in the hall of fame.

But Frank Gore was a better RB in SF than Julian Edelman has been at WR at any point in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

But Frank Gore was a better RB in SF than Julian Edelman has been at WR at any point in time.

Except the playoffs. 

If Bulk stats were what we went off of. Andrew Luck would have been #2 in the MVP race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bulk Stats don't matter. 

It's the same reason Frank Gore won't be in the hall of fame.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_rushing_yards_leaders

If you reach 12,000 yards rushing, you're getting into the Hall. Edgerrin James was a semifinalist this year. Edgerrin will get in, meaning Gore is a lock. The ability to play this long as a RB and be as productive as he is means something.

As for those still arguing Edelman is a HOFer, stop it. Just stop it. This isn't the NBA where everyone gets in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bulk Stats don't matter. 

It's the same reason Frank Gore won't be in the hall of fame.

Frank gore will be, in my opinion. Theres a point I think where they do come into play (negatively and positively)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Danger said:

Except the playoffs. 

If Bulk stats were what we went off of. Andrew Luck would have been #2 in the MVP race.

I don't know that you can say that Edelman was better in the playoffs than Frank Gore was. He has the bulk stats, but Gore also has over 100 yard from scrimmage per game to Edelman's 82. Gore also has as many TDs (5) in about half as many games. They're different positions, but it isn't like Edelman has been Superman in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I know most people are saying no chance, but for anyone who is giving him a shot...

Edelman in 9 years 499 receptions for 5390 yards and 30 TDs

Antonio Brown in 3 years 375 receptions for 5031 yards and 31 TDs

AJ Green in 4 years 350 receptions for 5114 yards and 38 TDs

Denadre Hopkins in 4 years 361 receptions for 5063 yards and 34 TDs

Dude is producing at a rate of about 1/3rd of the best WRs in the league.

His playoff production is just a matter of who he plays for, there are dozens of WRs who would have surpassed his playoff yardage totals if they had been drafted by the patriots. Hell, Larry Fitzgerald could very likely have surpassed 3000 by now.

I agree that he shouldn't have a shot but let's look at playoff stats, with your own special way of selecting what games to count*: 

Brown in 10 games, 51 receptions for 837 yards and 4 TD
Green in 4 games, 18 receptions for 232 yards and 1 TD
Hopkins in 4 games, 22 receptions for 238 yards and 1 TD
Edelman in 6 games, 47 receptions for 730 yards and 1 TD

Dude is producing at about double the rate of the best WRs in the league. (!!!)** 

* Unfair selection is unfair, just found it funny and this shows how silly it is. 
** Well, except for TDs where none of the guys are particularly impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

I agree that he shouldn't have a shot but let's look at playoff stats, with your own special way of selecting what games to count*: 

Brown in 10 games, 51 receptions for 837 yards and 4 TD
Green in 4 games, 18 receptions for 232 yards and 1 TD
Hopkins in 4 games, 22 receptions for 238 yards and 1 TD
Edelman in 6 games, 47 receptions for 730 yards and 1 TD

Dude is producing at about double the rate of the best WRs in the league. (!!!)** 

* Unfair selection is unfair, just found it funny and this shows how silly it is. 
** Well, except for TDs where none of the guys are particularly impressive. 

What kind of logic is this?

Selection regular season stats =/= selecting optimal post season stats for your argument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

What kind of logic is this?

Selection regular season stats =/= selecting optimal post season stats for your argument

Enlighten me how did you select your stats? How do you think I selected mine? 

Actually, I just checked how you selected at least Brown's and it turns out it was even worse than what I first thought, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, evilflamingo said:

Enlighten me how did you select your stats? How do you think I selected mine? 

Actually, I just checked how you selected at least Brown's and it turns out it was even worse than what I first thought, LOL

First of all, I said nothing about Brown's stats. His point, however, was to show that a top WR COULD match Edelman's career numbers within 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

First of all, I said nothing about Brown's stats. His point, however, was to show that a top WR COULD match Edelman's career numbers within 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.

Sorry dude, wrong Steeler :) Agree about the broken logic of it and that was mostly the point I wanted to make by showing that Edelman could match a top receivers career playoff numbers within 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. 

And the fact that while most people shrink under pressure, Patriots in general and Edelman in particular seems to thrive on it and I think that's impressive. 

Edited by evilflamingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, x0x said:

Life isn't fair. Rings give you a massive bump. Henry Ellard hasn't even gotten on a finalist ballot and yet Swann got in. That's as insane a disparity as it gets.

I don't see a 4-time Super Bowl champion who has a playoff career record for something and SB MVP being kept out forever. 

That's my scenario because I see at least 2 more seasons of Brady-Edelman contending. 

The backlog list of great players, especially WRs wasnt nearly as long back when Lynn Swann got in.   Swann would have never gotten in today.

SBs could give him a bump if he were close otherwise.   He isnt.

Hines Ward has 2 SBs, a SB MVP, and had a much better INDIVIDUAL career than Edelman despite playing with lesser QBs in running offenses most of his career, and he doesnt have a chance of getting in....and neither does Edelman.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×