NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I wish the 49ers were in the AFC. Would be one of the teams I wouldn’t be worried about in the future because their decision making is dreadful. How do you lock in so hard on a player you just can’t have any foresight to do what’s best for your team. 

Generally, I agree. I've been an outspoken critic of this regime's decisions. Specifically in free agency. This is not one of those situations. The team doesn't need QW. Not now, or in the immediate future. Defo is one of the best 3 techs in the NFL. He's not going anywhere. Thomas is under contract 3 more years. 

This isn't a situation where the niners are bypassing the number one player in the draft for the twentieth best because of need. QW and Bosa are generally considered 1 and 2 in this draft in any order. One fills a need, another doesn't. How is QW best for the team? If you think he's the best player, that's fine, but to me, and most, there's not a significant enough difference to be critical of going with Bosa in this situation

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Thomas. Deal with it. 

Thomas has been playing LEO in the base defense and goes inside in the nickel. Ford now will be playing LEO and Armstead is really good at big end against the run. Solid chance Thomas doesn't start in the base defense. But with how much teams pass in two WR sets and on first down, wouldn't be surprised if Thomas gets run from the interior in the base. 

But no way one can say we are set at the edge. We needed multiple edge rushers not just one. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Williams over Bosa but would like a trade down the most. If we do go Bosa then that is perfectly fine as well and one can only hope we have a top 3-5 pass rush in entire league. 

27 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I wish the 49ers were in the AFC. Would be one of the teams I wouldn’t be worried about in the future because their decision making is dreadful. How do you lock in so hard on a player you just can’t have any foresight to do what’s best for your team. 

Again, I'm a Williams over Bosa guy myself just because I think Bosa is very good while Williams is special. But you are not being very open minded here. Edge is by no means set even with Ford. Thomas will be an interior rusher in the nickel. Our outside rusher opposite of Ford will be Blair, who is solid, but not someone you consider yourself set on the edge with. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, I'm a Williams over Bosa guy myself just because I think Bosa is very good while Williams is special. But you are not being very open minded here. Edge is by no means set even with Ford. Thomas will be an interior rusher in the nickel. Our outside rusher opposite of Ford will be Blair, who is solid, but not someone you consider yourself set on the edge with. 

And I'd take Bosa over Williams, even though I do agree that there's a slightly better chance that Williams is "special", just because I think that's the biggest net gain here. But I've said since the start, I'm perfectly okay with QW as well. It's really hard to mess up the selection, tbh. 

Just now, DirtyDez said:

Trade down is what I expect atm.  Gettelman likes Haskins who would sit behind Eli for a year.  They have the capital to trade up.  The Cards could still get a front-7 piece at #6 (Oliver, Allen or Burns).

If they make that move, I think that team would continue to seem utterly rudderless. Because to make that move, they are going to have to give up 6 + 17 (they'll probably get something back, but they aren't making that move without #6 and another first rounder at some point going to the Cards), and that's just optically going to make that OBJ trade look even more absurd. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

If they make that move, I think that team would continue to seem utterly rudderless. Because to make that move, they are going to have to give up 6 + 17 (they'll probably get something back, but they aren't making that move without #6 and another first rounder at some point going to the Cards), and that's just optically going to make that OBJ trade look even more absurd. 

Could they move up without giving up #17?  I’d value their 2020 1st over #17 because it will be top-10 again, maybe top-5... #37 has value.  That would probably be a trade with the Jets.

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I'd take Bosa over Williams, even though I do agree that there's a slightly better chance that Williams is "special", just because I think that's the biggest net gain here. But I've said since the start, I'm perfectly okay with QW as well. It's really hard to mess up the selection, tbh. 

Sure, getting Bosa sures up our edge and then our interior rush could still be very effective with Thomas/Buckner. 

Main point was our edge is not by any means set even with Ford. The FO could be killed for a lot of reasons, even a lot of their draft strategy with all the unnecessary trade ups, but they shouldn't be killed for taking Bosa. That's a perfectly fine choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, getting Bosa sures up our edge and then our interior rush could still be very effective with Thomas/Buckner. 

Main point was our edge is not by any means set even with Ford. The FO could be killed for a lot of reasons, even a lot of their draft strategy with all the unnecessary trade ups, but they shouldn't be killed for taking Bosa. That's a perfectly fine choice. 

I agree. You and I are in lock step, we just come down on different sides of Bosa v Williams in regards to what we would do personally, but both of us are fine either way

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Thomas isn't an end for pass rushing purposes. That's the problem. So you're saying what? Keep him in a position he's bad at to draft a guy who would play the one tech in our scheme as opposed to drafting a guy perceived as one or two in the draft, who plays the end spot, which allows you to keep thomas in the position he has a chance to actually be good at? What 49ers fans are trying to tell you is that there's a chance that Thomas is a quality interior pass rusher moving forward. He's not when he's on the edge. He's horrific (and now we are moving to more wide 9 concepts, which is even worse for him). But he's performed fairly well on the interior when he's been given the opportunity. We don't really see the other interior spot opposite Buckner as a problem right now if we are going to keep Thomas there for good. 

So I'm really just curious how QW is better for the niners. You're saying that, but not offering anything up to really support that. You talked about the division, but I would actually argue the complete opposite. If the Cards go with Murray, we have two of the three quarterbacks in the division that are highly mobile and able to break containment. In that situation, I'd rather the pressure come from the outside to try and keep him contained within the pocket and have to navigate through a scrum of bodies before breaking out, giving your linebackers time to adjust and come down hill. If you get good interior pressure against a mobile quarterback and they can see it coming (which, they can, given that it's right in front of them), and they break containment to the outside of the pocket, you're screwed. That's going to be a 15 yard run just about every time for a guy like Wilson and Murray. I actually think that having great interior pressure is more beneficial in the AFC East where the quarterbacks aren't particularly mobile outside of Allen (Fitzpatrick and Brady being the other two), and Brady's ability to unleash passes so quickly (meaning the best manner with which to get to him is going to be the shortest distance possible and in a straight line - IE, interior pressure).

Sorry man I ain’t reading all that. 

QWill makes the most sense considering their division. 

Knowing you’re essentially locked in on Bosa and then spending a premium pick and salary cap space on someone who plays the same position after drafting another DE two years ago and hilariously stupid. Now factor in a gaping hole at DT and one of the best DT prospects in YEARS sitting in your face while your division boasts Gurley, Johnson and Carson. 

Let’s see. I’ll take the DT who’s going to stuff the run AND get me 10+ sacks and reke havoc. 

Acting like the 49ers are so above drafting QWill is hilarious. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Your fan base is locked into Bosa and I’m not being open minded when I’m only going based off the rumor mill. 

Think about this way, I want Bosa and still mocked Allen to the Jets because of rumors. RUMORS. 

None of us have any say of this anyway, we’re all just speculating mostly. QWill and Buckner up the middle creating 1v1 opportunities for Ford and Thomas is damn good. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Knowing you’re essentially locked in on Bosa and then spending a premium pick and salary cap space on someone who plays the same position after drafting another DE two years ago and hilariously stupid. Now factor in a gaping hole at DT and one of the best DT prospects in YEARS sitting in your face while your division boasts Gurley, Johnson and Carson. 

Let’s see. I’ll take the DT who’s going to stuff the run AND get me 10+ sacks and reke havoc. 

We drafted a DT two years ago. Thomas ain't a DE and every 49er fan has seen that for the past few year. Besides that we have no gaping hole at DT we have Buckner, Thomas, Armstead and Jones where at DE we have Ford and nobody else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Solomon Thomas is only a end in the base defense though. He's proven he can't rush from the outside. That's why by late last season he was rushing primarily from the interi or. Are the 49ers above Williams? Of course not, but no one is saying that. You're just being super stubborn here and not listening to what anyone else is saying. Thomas rushing from the edge is a failed experience. When we go to nickel, this is our front right now Blair-Buckner-Thomas-Ford. Bosa doesn't overlap with Ford at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Your fan base is locked into Bosa and I’m not being open minded when I’m only going based off the rumor mill. 

Think about this way, I want Bosa and still mocked Allen to the Jets because of rumors. RUMORS. 

None of us have any say of this anyway, we’re all just speculating mostly. QWill and Buckner up the middle creating 1v1 opportunities for Ford and Thomas is damn good. 

Considering I'm a Williams guy you can't say I'm locked in or set on Bosa. But Thomas can't rush from the outside. And guess what? He couldn't rush from the edge in college either as he did his best work from the interior. The argument for Bosa over Williams is a front of: 

Bosa-Buckner-Thomas-Ford would trump a front of Thomas/Blair-Buckner-Williams-Ford. 

Thomas had success late last season rushing from the interior and I believe there is another level he can reach there if given more snaps there. He just has no advantage from the edge. From the inside he can use his quickness to beat interior OL. He pretty much gets stone walled from the outside. 

• Like 1