NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

4 hours ago, Fullback said:

I don't understand why there is no Kyler Murray to 49ers talk?!

Because we don't need a quarterback (yet)

Once the surprise effect was gone, he didn't look good at all. And that's after he had a full offseason in a very QB friendly scheme. The sample size is small, but it's still there

I mean, it was less than 3 games. Dear god. One year, he's going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league because of a nice 5 game sample, the next year they need to draft a quarterback because of a subpar three game slate. I mean, can we at least let him get a season's worth of starts before any decisions whatsoever are made? This is just silly now between last year and this year. 

49ers have been drafting very high in the first round ever since their Superbowl team crumbled. Yet they haven't improved. New stadium, but empty seats. Toxic atmosphere.

Huh? I mean, sure, under Baalke / Harbaugh...but we are 3 years into Shanny / LYnch. The atmosphere is far from toxic. Unless you're just talking about the smog in California. 

But can their fan base stomach yet another investment in their DL which consists of high 1st round busts and now high priced Dee Ford as well?

Since the fans are the ones still talking about Bosa and Williams with the 49ers, I'm going to say yes. You don't let prior "busts" dictate your draft decision. Those are sunk costs. We don't get those first round picks back if we select a position other than pass rusher or defensive line in this draft.

Kyler Murray would be a great fit in Shanahan's offense. Think of a more accurate and even shiftier Redskins RGIII (not the sad end, but the early glory days). Nobody loves the bootleg pass more than Shanny. In fact, they do more play action rollouts than traditional dropback passes. Their zone run scheme is always among the very best in the league. Pair that with Murray's athletic ability and accuracy on the move, it could be a deadly combination. It's still mostly a projection, but Murray did things from the pistol that are very similar to Shanny's bootleg concepts. He can throw it accurately on the move, and not just dumpoffs like Beathard and Mullens. Murray could move their offense consistently both with his arm and his legs. Probably the most important factor: He would fill the seats in Santa Clara! Imo Murray makes them better immediately. Much better than an elite DL prospect in a room full of 1st round DL could.

Every quarterback is a great fit for Shanny. He's got one of the friendliest quarterback systems there are. Let's remember though, he didn't really want RG3. He made it work because that is how they had to go. The guy he pounded the table for that draft was Cousins. He had CK when he came to the 49ers, instead he went with Matt Barkley and Brian Hoyer. His quarterback acquisitions through the draft and trades have been Jimmy, CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens, non of whom are threats to take off (though CJ is actually more athletic than you would think). He's also not hidden his desire to have more traditional pocket passers. In a year where the 49ers badly needed a quarteraback because our starter was Brian Hoyer, we skipped drafting mobile guys Trubisky, Watson, etc for Beathard. So yes, while Murray would be a great fit for the 49ers, because as I said, every quarterback is, that ability isn't something that Shanny himself actually craves in his quarterbacks. 

If I had to bet, my money would be on the 49ers selecting Murray if he's there at #2

If you're going to give your money away like that, you really should just donate it to a good cause or something. 

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I don't agree at all. I like his playbook options so much more with a guy who can is dangerous on the move. 

But shanny himself prefers pocket passers. Murray would be effective, no doubt, but every quarterback would be to some extent. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

But shanny himself prefers pocket passers. Murray would be effective, no doubt, but every quarterback would be to some extent. 

Yeah Shanny deff has a QB friendly offense

I think Jimmy is the perfect fit though

has mobility, quick release, and accuracy 

On 20/03/2019 at 11:42 AM, johndeere1707 said:

I went to buy draft tickets for me and my girlfriend. Venue seats are $3,000 a person... like WTF who has money for that.

That's completely absurd if that holds true.  If they end up with those sort of prices...they're going to end up killing all the energy and environment that make fans want to attend the draft in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's completely absurd if that holds true.  If they end up with those sort of prices...they're going to end up killing all the energy and environment that make fans want to attend the draft in the first place.

Well they sold out tickets so obviously some people have money for it. You can still go for free, just have to be outside the venue and watch on a big screen. 

15 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Well they sold out tickets so obviously some people have money for it. You can still go for free, just have to be outside the venue and watch on a big screen. 

Outside watching on a big screen is gonna be the place to be then, sounds like.  At those prices, inside is probably just gonna be a bunch of "suits" on their best behavior golf-clapping along in their "corporate seats" like it's a business meeting.

17 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Everything I've seen points to going to the draft being free. You just need to download the app. The money is for VIP access and I couldn't care less about that. I'm going to Nashville (from CA) so I hope I"m right lol.

Kind of depends.  If they structure it similarly to how they did the drafts at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, then there will be "free" spots available to fans, but it's going to be like trying to get into panels at Comic Con, you're going to have to be standing in a line that will start forming 6+ hours in advance of the doors opening and unless you're in that first 500 people, there will be no guarantee you'll actually get in.

If/when they do it in LA, if I can't get a press pass through one of several friends who work in the media, I'm probably going to end up spending to get a hotel room in Inglewood near to the venue and trying to go sleep sometime in the afternoon the day before so I can be up and in-line as early as possible.  Postmates or Uber Eats is also going to make a killing off me that day.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, he's also not a very good prospect.

This year's CB class is almost as bad as this year's RB class.

I think he's a clear starter at the next level. Why don't you like him as a prospect? He shuts people down. It may not always look pretty, but he's very effective.

1 minute ago, reamer said:

I think he's a clear starter at the next level. Why don't you like him as a prospect? He shuts people down. It may not always look pretty, but he's very effective.

I mean, he's OK.  I'm not saying he's a UDFA, but I wouldn't touch him til the second half of round 2.

His tape certainly isn't bad.  It's pretty good.  He just doesn't look elite in any category to me, except maybe ball skills, which for me are pretty low on the CB evaluation priority list.  He doesn't have the speed or movement skills to keep up with fast receivers, doesn't have the size or jump skills to compete with big physical ones, and doesn't have good enough read and react skills to be a crazy good zone corner.

He's pretty good at everything, only great at one, and has red flag athleticism IMO.

Honestly, Rock Ya-Sin and maybe Byron Murphy are the only first round corners in this class to me.  Iman Marshall at the very end, maybe.  Greedy and Deandre are overhyped IMO.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, he's OK.  I'm not saying he's a UDFA, but I wouldn't touch him til the second half of round 2.

His tape certainly isn't bad.  It's pretty good.  He just doesn't look elite in any category to me, except maybe ball skills, which for me are pretty low on the CB evaluation priority list.  He doesn't have the speed or movement skills to keep up with fast receivers, doesn't have the size or jump skills to compete with big physical ones, and doesn't have good enough read and react skills to be a crazy good zone corner.

He's pretty good at everything, only great at one, and has red flag athleticism IMO.

Honestly, Rock Ya-Sin and maybe Byron Murphy are the only first round corners in this class to me.  Iman Marshall at the very end, maybe.  Greedy and Deandre are overhyped IMO.

He's not scheme-proof, this is true.  But that's a statement that can be made of a vast majority of CB prospects in any draft class.  That includes a guy like Ya-Sin whose feet are a mess and severely limit his being able to fully utilize his otherwise-smooth hips.  Those are honestly the two most important factors for scheme-versatility (and dare I say "success") transitioning from college to the pros.  He's been able to cover it up at Rutgers because he was allowed to play more physical than referees are likely to allow him to in the NFL.  If he's put in a scheme where he's not allowed to be up on the line and the receiver from jump, he's going to struggle because that takes away his best asset (his crowding and lean) and puts him in a position where his weakest asset (his feet) stands a greater chance of being exposed.

Baker is a zone-corner, through and through.  To a team that runs a majority zone, he's definitely a 1st round pick if all the intangibles check out.  He compares pretty favorably to a not-so-poor-man's Peanut Tillman.

Archived