NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Link or anything?

He made some cryptic tweets yesterday about snakes in the grass and now he removed something from his twitter about being on the Cardinals or the birdgang.  I'll take him with Rosen

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I cant help but LOL everytime I see a packers fan say this, knowing that Ted Thompson isnt their GM anymore.

I mean, they probably wont trade up considering they have two FRPs and its a pretty deep draft, but acting like they would never because their former GM never did just makes me laugh.

In fact, Id argue that Gute deliberately went out of his way last year to do something that Thompson never did, which was spend money on a FA... the only problem was he did it for a washed up Jimmy Graham (who was never all that talented anyways imo just happened to be tall and able to catch and played in the perfect offense with the most accurate QB of all time in Brees)

Teams who feel like they should be competing for SBs might try and go get a guy they like. I dont anticipate them trading up with their initial first round pick, but I could absolutely see a scenario where they move up from #30 a few spots after there is a run on a certain position, especially considering that a lot of people think this draft is deep in the middle rounds and are therefore more willing to move back initially for 'less than market value' that still nets them a nice mid round pick. 

Its just funny as hell and now one of the things I'm rooting to see on Thursday (a packers trade up).

That Jimmy comment is next level messed up but agree on the Thompson Gute stuff 

34 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Thompson is gone, but they all come from the Ron Wolf school of front office philosophy, so that's the reason Packer fans say this rather consistently. GB might move up from 30, but chances are very slim they move up from 12 and even slimmer that they'd do it for a TE/WR/OG/ILB.
Those are philosophical tenets of the organization and the change at the top isn't likely to alter those strategies. Thompson's aversion to FA was an outlier, Ron Wolf used it extensively as have all of the others that come from his tree.

Glad to provide some added entertainment on Thursday night and if I were foolish enough to bet on any draft day trades from Titletown - I'd lay my cash on a move back from 12 and/or a move back from 30.

I remember Packers fans saying Green Bay would never draft a sub 6ft corner as it's not Ron Wolf way and yet Jaire Alexander became the first pick of the Gutekunst era. Could it be that this fabled philosophy stuff is a little overblown? Especially as you admit, Thompson was his own man from a FA perspective. 

Disgusted by @SouthwestAir policies & their unwillingness to admit fault when their late flight caused my mother to miss connection & spend the night in a strange town. THEN had to nerve to make her pay her own hotel! SWA will NEVER have my business again. #FakeLOVE

From four Days ago. Maybe he is still venting haha

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Man, Lynch was had some decent praise for Bosa during his pre-draft presser, but was gushing about Quinnen. 

Oh, I think Lynch legit loves QW. And there is still a shot we go that route (85/15 haha). But guys like King, MM.. They are just usually pretty reliable with us, so I'm really just putting my trust in them

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Could it be that this fabled philosophy stuff is a little overblown?

Most certainly.
It may also suggest that as the game changes, so does the philosophy. Back in Wolf's day, the reason they wanted the taller/larger CBs is because Ron said
" You can't win with little people up here in December/January"  But now there isn't as much contact allowed as there was prior to the 2004 WR rules changes. So the value of the taller, more stout CBs has changed - both because the of the rules and because the NFL has become more of an indoor league, with 2 of 4 NFC North teams playing inside. However, the Packers still favor premium positions in round 1, even if the players' profile changes to adapt to the modern game

17 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I remember Packers fans saying Green Bay would never draft a sub 6ft corner as it's not Ron Wolf way and yet Jaire Alexander became the first pick of the Gutekunst era. Could it be that this fabled philosophy stuff is a little overblown? Especially as you admit, Thompson was his own man from a FA perspective. 

I think Randy Moss affected that "philosophy". Moss gave Wolf bad dreams all his final years.

(And Wolf's first draft pick was Terrell Buckley.)

Archived