NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

Just now, Speedyg said:

I believe he got there just after they had Shockey though, right? So having him precludes them drafting one high.

And iirc, he went after Bennett (who flopped in NYG).

He also spent big money to sign Kyle Brady to the Jaguars.

Not sure it's a given he takes one at 7, but at least I think it shows that he does value the position.

Bennett was great for us. Everyone was a little upset we didn't have the money to resign him. Coughlin absolutely values TEs.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Next years draft may be even funner when 3 QBs go 1-2-3 in Tua-Fromm-Eason (I think Eason is gonna tear it up at Washington). 

All three of which are better than any QB prospect of this class. 

You've clearly not watched Fromm at all if you think he's going top 5. But that's a debate for next year.

3 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I believe he got there just after they had Shockey though, right? So having him precludes them drafting one high.

And iirc, he went after Bennett (who flopped in NYG).

He also spent big money to sign Kyle Brady to the Jaguars.

Not sure it's a given he takes one at 7, but at least I think it shows that he does value the position.

Shockey left in 2008, and they drafted Kevin Boss in 2007 as his replacement (5th round). I'm not saying he doesn't value the position, just not first round/top 10 worthy. I've been wrong plenty of times though, so this means he'll absolutely be the pick at 7 now, lol

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

In terms of BPA, Need, Fit and Position Value how do you guys split the importance 

I got 40% Fit, 40% BPA, 15% Need and 5% Pos Value

Give me an Elite Talent that fits my team at any position over need almost every day. 

The more good players you have the better in my opinion. 

33 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fit might have to be even higher. The whole round peg/square hole thing. 

It depends on what tier of talent you are talking about IMO.

In the very top of Round 1, BPA wins out - look at Joey Bosa, who everyone said was a bad fit for LAC.  LAC changed their D to fit his elite talent.

The further you go down Rd1, the less elite/great talent you see - so the gaps between talent gets smaller.  Then fit really starts to make more of a difference.

Honestly, need should only be used as a tiebreaker until you are so deep down the draft that the talent evaluation is tough to see a difference.  I sometimes see this around late Rd 2, early Rd3, other years it's not until late Rd3.   Again, if you have very similar talents, need is absolutely ok.   

I should emphasize that need isn't the same as positional impact.  A QB, shutdown CB, EDGE or true island T that doesn't need help are the most impactful positions, partly because they are so expensive and harder to find, but also how the NFL works nowadays, although the needle is swinging back to interior OL play mattering more with inside rush/blitz in vogue again.   If you can get an impact CB Rd 2 vs. an impact RB, it's way more likely you can find a closer-to-Rd2 RB talent later. 

I think the greatest mistakes teams make are going need/fit in early Rd1 over elite talents.  It's why Derwin James fell last year.   It's crazy how the same theme repeats itself over & over.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

That worried? 

I feel like Denver is going to do the right thing and punt on quarterback at 10, even if they love Lock. Elway has to start thinking about putting out a winner for his own sake at some point, I would imagine. For better or worse, you have to just roll with Flacco at this point. I think that they'll take someone that they believe will and can contribute right away. White or Bush could make some sense, I think. 

It’s Elway. I’m always worried

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Falcons and Redskins both have plenty of needs, so selling multiple picks to move up would be dumb.

All their needs put together don't outweigh QB though. Falcons roster is pretty deep and talented I don't see that one. 

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

All their needs put together don't outweigh QB though. Falcons roster is pretty deep and talented I don't see that one. 

Assuming they can’t get Kyler Murray, there isn’t a QB in this draft who will be good enough (at least right away if we’re talking Haskins – probably ever with the other guys) to mask the gaps they won’t be able to plug through lost draft capital. 

Archived