Antonio Brown officially asks for trade - Bills trade falls through

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

You don't actually believe or want to see this do you? He'd make last years Bell Debacle look like childs play.

The AB 24/7 media circus/smitt show would be unreal. Something the Steelers simply cant allow to happen. Has to be traded, even for peanuts. 

He is delusional enough to believe this, yes. 

Just like Raiders fans were delusional enough to think they didn't have to trade Khalil Mack.

The relationships are clearly fractured to a point that they cannot be fixed. When your owner publicly states you are going to trade him, then meets with the player and tells him they are going to trade him... you really think that they aren't going to trade him?? Or that somehow holding firm to an asking price and saying 'we will just keep him if we don't get it' is really an option? 

13 minutes ago, August4th said:

if AB is inactive and away from the team, what could he do to actually impact the team on the field? doubt players will be thinking about a AB tweet while they are playing a game..

Taking up cap space at the very least.

Just now, freak_of_nature said:

Would PIT try to avoid a trade in the AFC?

I think the preference would be to have him in the NFC, but I dont' think that being in the AFC is a deal breaker or anything. You go where the offers are. And with a team like the Raiders, even with AB, you have to figure they are at least 2 years away from being meaninful competition, which is another two years on Browns career and easily sliding into the back end of his career, so not as big a deal. Outside of the Pats and divisional rivals, I don't think trading him within the AFC is an issue.

20 minutes ago, August4th said:

if AB is inactive and away from the team, what could he do to actually impact the team on the field? doubt players will be thinking about a AB tweet while they are playing a game..

So you think the Steelers are better off keeping him, having him inactive, than trading him for whatever they can get? How does that make any sense? Better to cut your losses and move on. 

In your opinion, was the Bell situation a distraction last year? He wasn't in the building either.. 

Steelers have played this about as poorly as possible IMO. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

So you think the Steelers are better off keeping him, having him inactive, than trading him for whatever they can get? How does that make any sense? Better to cut your losses and move on. 

In your opinion, was the Bell situation a distraction last year? He wasn't in the building either.. 

Steelers have played this about as poorly as possible IMO. 

I would still trade him. I just don't think keeping him would be worse thing either

only time I felt the absence of bell had a negative impact on the team was when conner went down for 3 weeks. The off the field "social media" stuff was just media fodder.. which I think it would be like if AB was inactive for 16 games.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What does them letting Bell sit out last year have to do with anything regarding Brown?

On top of that, you dont even know how much the Steelers are asking for.   

If Brown wants to sit out and forfeit his salary and his precious stats, let him.

Bell set a precedent with Pitt. He did not want to play and sat out. Now he is going to be signed by a team for a lot of money. Brown can do the same thing and get signed next year as well. So asking 2 firsts for him is out of the question. A late 1st/early 2nd with a mid round pick is the best they are going to get. If the raiders offer their late 1st and a 4th, I'd jump on it. 

Go Birds

Mastercheddaar

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the preference would be to have him in the NFC, but I dont' think that being in the AFC is a deal breaker or anything. You go where the offers are. And with a team like the Raiders, even with AB, you have to figure they are at least 2 years away from being meaninful competition, which is another two years on Browns career and easily sliding into the back end of his career, so not as big a deal. Outside of the Pats and divisional rivals, I don't think trading him within the AFC is an issue.

Yeah, I can't see them taking significantly less just for the sake of trading him to the other conference versus in-conference.  In-division would be another thing, but the Steelers know, probably as well or better than any team, that they way you make a star receiver on the opposing team considerably less relevant is that you get to the QB before he ever has a chance to throw the ball to said receiver.  If trading AB in-conference yields a pick that is more likely to avail them in getting to the QB, they're less worried about having to potentially play AB once or twice in the next couple seasons.

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Bell set a precedent with Pitt. He did not want to play and sat out. Now he is going to be signed by a team for a lot of money. Brown can do the same thing and get signed next year as well. So asking 2 firsts for him is out of the question. A late 1st/early 2nd with a mid round pick is the best they are going to get. If the raiders offer their late 1st and a 4th, I'd jump on it. 

Go Birds

Mastercheddaar

What? Brown is under contract for 3 more years. At BEST, Brown would be a free agent after 3 more seasons.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

There is something like $1M cap difference between him being traded or not. The dead cap space makes it so that cap space has pretty much zero effect.

Holy moly, $20M in dead cap is something else.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

There is something like $1M cap difference between him being traded or not. The dead cap space makes it so that cap space has pretty much zero effect.

but it would be an additional $11,000,000 out of the Rooney's pockets. That does matter.  I don't think fans realize how much this does matter. Cap space =/= actual CASH

would you want to pay someone $11,000,000 to sit at home if you were running a business? unlikely

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I can't see them taking significantly less just for the sake of trading him to the other conference versus in-conference. 

The only thing I can think of is if the owner mandates one and overrules the football minds. There has been some talk of it. 

Archived