NFC North Rivals 2019 Talk

dll2000

One issue that's almost always overlooked is quality over quantity.  No team with as few picks as we had will be ranked as high or thought to have "won".

But based on drafting early to fill needs, and taking into consideration the players "bought" in 2018 with 2019 picks who did any better than the players I've mentioned?

A once in a decade Edge Rusher we badly needed, a versatile RB we needed, and two very talented WRs one of whom has already paid dividends as a rookie and still has terrific upside.  All four will be contributors in 2019 some more than others but there are no misses period. 

IMHO that's a score.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

One issue that's almost always overlooked is quality over quantity.  No team with as few picks as we had will be ranked as high or thought to have "won".

But based on drafting early to fill needs, and taking into consideration the players "bought" in 2018 with 2019 picks who did any better than the players I've mentioned?

A once in a decade Edge Rusher we badly needed, a versatile RB we needed, and two very talented WRs one of whom has already paid dividends as a rookie and still has terrific upside.  All four will be contributors in 2019 some more than others but there are no misses period. 

IMHO that's a score.

OH, but the Packers drafted an underachieving college DL with a torn labrum at 12, but I’m sure everything is fine. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Rashan Gary is double and tripled EVERY play is something I keep hearing. 

So i went to youtube and typed Rashan Gary vs and played first video that came up.  No cherry picking. 

Count the double and triples.  

That’s an awesome find. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soulman said:

He's happy because he thinks GB "won the draft"?  OK, no problem.  He can play draftnik all next fall while the Bears win games.

I'm thrilled with Mack and Miller as our 1st and 2nd round picks a year early and with Monty who could easily have gone a round sooner AND with Ridley who was a gift that late in round four.  I think even Duke Shelley can become a stud Slot CB.

It's nice to be in a spot where your team can strategically fill a handful of positions for depth while your main rival is in a "we hope quantity equals quality" spot in the early phase of a rebuild GB fans won't easily accept.

"Mack is a negative" was the comment that cracked me up. Dumbest damn thing I've read in a while. An All Pro HOF player is a negative at the 2nd most important spot on the team. 

I'm sure he'd have that same, completely unbiased opinion of Mack if GB had been the ones to land him. 9_9

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

"Mack is a negative" was the comment that cracked me up. Dumbest damn thing I've read in a while. An All Pro HOF player is a negative at the 2nd most important spot on the team. 

I'm sure he'd have that same, completely unbiased opinion of Mack if GB had been the ones to land him. 9_9

Like I've said before some GB fans create their own realities and they will rationalize like crazy sometimes.  That poster sounds very young.

Rodgers makes $10 mil a year more than Mack but Mack is a negative only because he's a Bear.  He'd be their modern day Reggie White if Oakland would have dealt him GB instead.  Mack is a negative but for Rodgers and their offense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So i went to youtube and typed Rashan Gary vs and played first video that came up.  No cherry picking. 

I said it in the draft thread, I'll say it again--Gary was an absolutely horrible pick for them. So many proven guys on the board, including all those O-linemen (when they pumped up the OLB corps in FA already) and they gamble on a guy? Absolutely stupid. Surprised at Gutekunst there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

OSU looked like they were handling him pretty well.  The guy also take some plays off.  I don't see a high motor player.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Just in the first minute alone, I'd consider the following to be double or triple teamed: 0:19, 0:37, 0:44, 0:50.  We could keep watching the game, but I'd venture a guess that the Buckeyes didn't start double teaming him from the get-go, and then magically stopped.  And that's taking arguably the worst game for that Michigan defense.  There's more to impact than just sacks.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just in the first minute alone, I'd consider the following to be double or triple teamed: 0:19, 0:37, 0:44, 0:50.  We could keep watching the game, but I'd venture a guess that the Buckeyes didn't start double teaming him from the get-go, and then magically stopped.  And that's taking arguably the worst game for that Michigan defense.  There's more to impact than just sacks.

I'd say there is probably 4 or 5 that I saw on the whole game, but does the dude EVER get off a block.  If an OSU lineman got his hands on him it was over.  I've never seen a player just stay blocked like that in arguably the biggest game of their career.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'd say there is probably 4 or 5 that I saw on the whole game, but does the dude EVER get off a block.  If an OSU lineman got his hands on him it was over.  I've never seen a player just stay blocked like that in arguably the biggest game of their career.

I found four in the first minute of that game alone where you could legitimately say Gary saw double teams.  Maybe not double teams the entire time, but he was often having a second OL chip him or help out to block him.  And you're clearly not watching him if you don't see him getting off a block.  I'm hoping it's just an exaggeration to prove a point.  He's not your twitchy pass rusher like Brian Burns, which is why I think part of the appeal of Gary lags behind.  He's arguably the best run defender of the EDGE, and his measurables matched up favorably to Bradley Chubb.  But let's look at this objectively, if the production (i.e. sacks and TFL) were there, we'd be talking about a top 3 pick.  Not someone who is even close to sniffing the 12th pick.