The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I would have expected more coaches call the defense

I tried looking up a history of who calls the defense around the league.

Most recent examples I can find is an article from when Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith and Rex Ryan were hired in 2009.

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I would have expected more coaches call the defense

Definitely interesting he was the "lone-wolf" calling defensive plays. Bored so I looked into it...

Defensive head coaches:

ARI - Steve Wilks (1st year as HC - DC is Al Holcomb, 1st year as a DC)

Says Wilks will NOT call plays: https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/31/coach-steve-wilks-will-not-call-defensive-plays-for-cardinals/

ATL - Dan Quinn (4th year as HC - DC is Marquand Manuel, 2nd year as a DC)

BUF - Sean McDermott (2nd year as HC - DC is the one and only Leslie Frazier)

CAR - Ron Rivera (8th year as HC - DC is Eric Washington, 1st year as a DC)

I will speculate that Rivera will let Washington call the plays this year.

CIN - Marvin Lewis (16th year as HC? - DC is Teryl Austin, 5th season as as DC)

DEN - Vance Joseph (2nd year as HC - DC is Joe Woods, 2nd season as DC) 

DET - Matt Patricia (1st year as HC - DC is Paul Pasqualoni, 4th season as DC)

Pasqualoni to call plays: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/3/27/17167804/detroit-lions-defensive-coordinator-paul-pasqualoni-calling-plays-not-matt-patricia

NE - Bill Belichick (23rd year as HC, including CLE days - DC is currently vacant)

Interesting: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-reportedly-wont-hire-defensive-coordinator-with-brian-flores-calling-plays/

NYJ - Todd Bowles (4th season as HC - DC is Kacy Rodgers, 4th season as DC)

PIT - Mike Tomlin (12th season as HC - DC is Keith Butler, 4th season as DC)

SEA - Pete Carroll (9th season as HC - Ken Norton Jr., 4th season as DC) 

TEN - Mike Vrabel (1st season as HC - Dean Pees, 11th season as DC)

Looks like he very well could be "lone-wolfing" it again. I'm ok with it but I do think Edwards is very capable of calling the defense. He did so against the Cowboys when Zimmer was out for his eye issue.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe this wouldn't be a bad time to give up play calling with a fairly inexperienced OC

It depends upon your definition of inexperienced.  He did do it by himself for 1 full year.  Either way, I think Zimmer does let Edwards do most of the formulating of the defensive game plan and he just calls the plays on Sundays since he's so good at it.  I think Edwards would do fine calling plays, but he certainly isn't going to be as good at it as Zimmer.  He's so good at it, I'd make the opposite argument...you need Zimmer to call defensive plays to make up for the OC's inexperience.    

• Like 1

Zimmer: “I’ve been with teams that have been really good and don’t play good, for whatever reasons — everybody’s telling them how great they are. The Philly game in the NFC Championship might be a perfect example of that. All week long, human nature, everybody’s telling us how great we are. It’s the greatest play ever, and we don’t come off the field for two hours after the game, whatever. And now Stefon Diggs is a celebrity. That’s really not who our team is; they’re not a bunch of celebrity kind of guys. But it’s hard to do. I understand how hard it is to win a Super Bowl and I think our players understand.

“I’m not going to change. The first time I have a chance to a have a meeting with the players, I’ll talk to them about all those things, just about, ‘You want to say you’re as good as your last game? OK, let’s put the tape on. This is who we are; this is what we’ve done.’ No one gets to start at 13-3 or 14-4, whatever it was. We get to start at 0-0 just like everybody else. We’re going to have all kinds of adversity we have to overcome throughout the next season, just like we do every other season. It’s all about how we prepare and how we go about our business, and usually, the team’s pretty good about that.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-Harrison-Smith-Listed-as-Top-Vikings-Draft-Pick-of-Past-10-Years/5b31482c-0cad-4b4d-be42-e52dcb0647cc?sf186299756=1

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Zimmer: .

“I’m not going to change.

Yes.  I realize I am taking this quote out of context.  However, I hope something in Mike Zimmer changes.  Truth is, HIS defense got schooled by Philadelphia.  Zimmer was completely, and utterly out-coached by Pederson.  So, yeah.  I hope something with Zimmer changes.  I hope that he learned something personally from getting blown out in the NFCCG.  If he refuses to change...then I hope he gives calling plays over to the DC.

34 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I hope that he learned something personally from getting blown out in the NFCCG.  If he refuses to change...then I hope he gives calling plays over to the DC.

Zimmer: “Probably the last four games of the year we didn’t rush as good as we had probably the entire season. Griff was dealing with his plantar fasciitis; we were probably playing Tom Johnson too many plays and he probably ran out of a little bit of gas. I think we should have rotated players more. I didn’t do a good job with that so it’s another lesson learned.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Mike-Zimmer-on-Minnesota-Vikings-defense-67-good-quarters-5-bad-ones-to-end-117052746

59 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Zimmer: “Probably the last four games of the year we didn’t rush as good as we had probably the entire season. Griff was dealing with his plantar fasciitis; we were probably playing Tom Johnson too many plays and he probably ran out of a little bit of gas. I think we should have rotated players more. I didn’t do a good job with that so it’s another lesson learned.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Mike-Zimmer-on-Minnesota-Vikings-defense-67-good-quarters-5-bad-ones-to-end-117052746

I don't think Zim would complain if Rick drafted 6 DL 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't think Zim would complain if Rick drafted 6 DL 

I think DL will end up the focus of the draft early on, with an OL sprinkled in at some point. DEs did not get after it as well as they could have during the final stretch and UT was generally an issue all year long, hopefully Richardson and Johnson teaming up at UT fixes the problem. 

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

It's a start.

Look, I love Zimmer!  However, I don't think he's above criticism.  Not only didn't he manage his defensive players, he didn't come up with a very good defensive game plan against the Eagles.  Dare I say, it was pretty atrocious.  I haven't heard him acknowledge that (maybe he has and I missed it) but it seems he needs to shoulder a good portion of the responsibility for that loss.

27 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Look, I love Zimmer!  However, I don't think he's above criticism.  Not only didn't he manage his defensive players, he didn't come up with a very good defensive game plan against the Eagles.  Dare I say, it was pretty atrocious.  I haven't heard him acknowledge that (maybe he has and I missed it) but it seems he needs to shoulder a good portion of the responsibility for that loss.

Could not agree more with this VV. I think him admitting he needs to rotate players more is a big thing and a step in the right direction. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 6:53 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Yes.  I realize I am taking this quote out of context.  However, I hope something in Mike Zimmer changes.  Truth is, HIS defense got schooled by Philadelphia.  Zimmer was completely, and utterly out-coached by Pederson.  So, yeah.  I hope something with Zimmer changes.  I hope that he learned something personally from getting blown out in the NFCCG.  If he refuses to change...then I hope he gives calling plays over to the DC.

That's what I've been thinking too.  Zim has a great scheme, but everything gets figured out eventually.  He needs to zig before they start to zag.  I think his scheme is flexible enough to do that, but he needs to be flexible enough to keep opposing OC's on their heels.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:40 AM, Virginia Viking said:

It's a start.

He does have a lot of responsibility for the loss, but the players had a horrible game too.  Harrison Smith got beaten on a play in a way that was totally uncharacteristic of him all year.  The same can be said of others too.  It was just a bad game all around for the entire team.