Football Cards

waffles7

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't bought cards in 20 years but my dad and I always bought the big hobby boxes weekly from like '97 to '01. He must of spent thousands a year on cards those five years lol. If you were a rookie from '97 to '01 in Baseball or Football, he has you for sure.

He started getting back into cards again this year so I bought him a Football Prestige 2020 Box and Pre Ordered a Bowman Baseball 2021 Box as well. I guess Bowman is still the holy grail 20 years later after doing some research. I'll update if we get any cool rookies or autos!

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Haven't bought cards in 20 years but my dad and I always bought the big hobby boxes weekly from like '97 to '01. He must of spent thousands a year on cards those five years lol. If you were a rookie from '97 to '01 in Baseball or Football, he has you for sure.

He started getting back into cards again this year so I bought him a Football Prestige 2020 Box and Pre Ordered a Bowman Baseball 2021 Box as well. I guess Bowman is still the holy grail 20 years later after doing some research. I'll update if we get any cool rookies or autos!

I'm not sure about baseball, but Panini Prizm is the big one for football (at least for the rookies). If you see any of that sitting in Target/Walmart, scoop it up fast. 

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

I'm not sure about baseball, but Panini Prizm is the big one for football (at least for the rookies). If you see any of that sitting in Target/Walmart, scoop it up fast. 

Looks like they are going for $600+ a box third party, yikes. 

Considering a Panini Prizm Hobby Box is going for $1600 on the reseller market, and Panini Optic Hobby Box is going for $1000, it seems scalpers have completely destroyed the card hobby, the very first year I get back into it..... first they destroyed PS5/Series X and now this. Something needs to be done. 

With that said, I did decide to buy a Cello Pack of Panini Prizm and a Value Pack of Panini Optic, both of which were $40 each. I will never, ever pay more than $5 for a pack of cards again, but hey, gotta do it at least once right? 

I’ll let you guys know if I pull anything good. Crazy to see the money all these Herbert, Burrow, and Mahomes cards go for, if they are numbered and/or auto’d. 

I also purchased a Baseball Bowman 2021 Hobby Box for $300. Much more reasonable. Seems the Baseball market isn’t as affected as Football/Basketball with the scalpers. Baseball is marked up 2x while Football/Basketball is marked up about 8x. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Considering a Panini Prizm Hobby Box is going for $1600 on the reseller market, and Panini Optic Hobby Box is going for $1000, it seems scalpers have completely destroyed the card hobby, the very first year I get back into it..... first they destroyed PS5/Series X and now this. Something needs to be done. 

With that said, I did decide to buy a Cello Pack of Panini Prizm and a Value Pack of Panini Optic, both of which were $40 each. I will never, ever pay more than $5 for a pack of cards again, but hey, gotta do it at least once right? 

I’ll let you guys know if I pull anything good. Crazy to see the money all these Herbert, Burrow, and Mahomes cards go for, if they are numbered and/or auto’d. 

I also purchased a Baseball Bowman 2021 Hobby Box for $300. Much more reasonable. Seems the Baseball market isn’t as affected as Football/Basketball with the scalpers. Baseball is marked up 2x while Football/Basketball is marked up about 8x. 

Yeah man, scalpers really screwed it up. A lot of the other brands outside of Prizm and Optic don't really get marked up though (Contenders/playbook for low end and limited/P&P for high end). Select is coming out at the end of the month which will probably followed the Prizm path though.

Good luck with the packs. Even though Prizm is marked up like crazy, I love it this year. I'm going for the Aaron Donald rainbow, but found an AD super collector online which is going to make it basically impossible to get the 1/1. Some people can just afford to put crazy money into the hobby which takes the fun out of it for the others. 

Seems like it’d be smarter to invest in rookie singles from prizm and optic instead of buying any packs or boxes. Wouldn’t touch Lawrence cards as they will cost way too much. But getting at least one single (preferably an auto) of Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, JaMar Chase, Micah Parsons, etc would be a good investment. Just need one of those players to become Top 10 at their position to make the $ back. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, BayRaider said:

In May, the $19.99 Target Bowman Mega Boxes were going for over $100, eventually settling into $60-70 per box.  

When the Bowman set originally released with the first edition, which was a preorder on Topps.com, the scalpers had bots that Topps had an issue combating. 

Then, with first edition and then the normal set releasing, Jasson Dominguez base cards were going for $300, and in some cases more.  His autos were closing in on $1,000.  It was at that point where I said I had enough.  I've bought a few single cards since then, as I will still collect what interests me, but I am done chasing product and ripping product.  I've got seven 5,000 count boxes upstairs that I need to get rid of.  I'm thinking of pricing out what my "top 50" cards looks like, and offering the lot of them and see who bites.  

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In May, the $19.99 Target Bowman Mega Boxes were going for over $100, eventually settling into $60-70 per box.  

When the Bowman set originally released with the first edition, which was a preorder on Topps.com, the scalpers had bots that Topps had an issue combating. 

Then, with first edition and then the normal set releasing, Jasson Dominguez base cards were going for $300, and in some cases more.  His autos were closing in on $1,000.  It was at that point where I said I had enough.  I've bought a few single cards since then, as I will still collect what interests me, but I am done chasing product and ripping product.  I've got seven 5,000 count boxes upstairs that I need to get rid of.  I'm thinking of pricing out what my "top 50" cards looks like, and offering the lot of them and see who bites.  

I preordered the Bowman 2021 Hobby Box from SCC for about $300. Wouldn’t pay that much ever again, but have an itch for a hobby box, haven’t bought one in 10+ years. Comes out Mid April, hopefully I pull a Rookie Auto/1st Bowman card. Always good to go in with low expectations though lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, BayRaider said:

Baseball you have to stash to make money, Football and Basketball have immediate returns. Thats why Baseball resale isn't as bad.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Seems like it’d be smarter to invest in rookie singles from prizm and optic instead of buying any packs or boxes. Wouldn’t touch Lawrence cards as they will cost way too much. But getting at least one single (preferably an auto) of Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, JaMar Chase, Micah Parsons, etc would be a good investment. Just need one of those players to become Top 10 at their position to make the $ back. 

Singles definitely a better investment.