Football Cards

waffles7

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really looking to start pairing down the new collection I started.  I had enough of the "race" for things, when I would spend so much money to buy the boxes for a chance at the card instead of actually buying the cards I wanted.  I also got into Topps Now and Bowman Next, so I really want to take advantage of some of the duplicate cards I have to make money to go after cards I want, as well as make more room in my house.  I also have my old collections of 80's and 90's stuff still at my grandparents to work through, which might all be garbage.  

So @devils1854 how do you sell?  I noticed you said eBay and a card Facebook group.  How did you start?  What's involved in it?  I've only done eBay as a buyer, and I'm really hesitant to get into it.  I know I will likely avoid Twitter as there are too many scammers.  I've also thought about doing something at an antique mall- having some Orioles and Nationals stuff (a few autos, rookie cards and cheap team bags) as well as team bags of All-Star and HoF players for cheap.  I know that I likely need to have some up front money to get some cards graded as well. 

@MookieMonstah does Goodwill take opened boxes of cards?  I have multiple 5,000 count boxes of base cards that I know won't get much money unless I do the team bag idea above.  If they take those, that might be the best route for me.  That would be the easiest and simplest way for me to get rid of them in bulk after I sort through them for anything worth selling.  

If you have good cards, its worth getting them graded. I don't think its worth it if the card is worth under $100 though. A high grade can bring a $100 card to $4-500.

I sell on eBay, its super easy. They take a cut obviously but there is way less risk involved and its easy to see what the cards are selling for and price appropriately. I believe you can bring opened cards to Goodwill. If not I'd just post them on craigslist and see if some parents want to pick them up for there kids, you could also hand them down if you have any nieces/nephews. I will say, the 80s and 90s aren't super valuable but you never know if those values will increase 50-60 years from now.

My best friend is a bit of a dingus at times and he recently went and got a pack of football cards and was like this is a great investment cause I can instantly flip all these for a dollar each. In what world would the contents of a $4 pack of card yield at least double the reward every time? If that were the case then buying out an entire store would make you rich before long lol

27 minutes ago, Tyty said:

My best friend is a bit of a dingus at times and he recently went and got a pack of football cards and was like this is a great investment cause I can instantly flip all these for a dollar each. In what world would the contents of a $4 pack of card yield at least double the reward every time? If that were the case then buying out an entire store would make you rich before long lol

Yeah, definitely not happening. Most base cards have 0 value.

• 1 month later...

Gave away that graded gem mint colt mccoy rookie card (lol) I posted here a while back... (edit: must’ve been a different thread) and a couple Shaun Alexander jersey cards, and a Jeryd Bayless autograph card 

gave it to my wife’s coworkers son, who is 6 and getting into cards.

Cards were only worth a couple bucks total, but he’s just been opening vanilla Walmart 12 packs for the last few months, plus he’s six years old lmao... to him this may as well have been a Pat Mahomes autographed jersey.

his mom said hey was “beyond stoked.”

Reminded me of when I was first getting into the hobby, your first couple serial number cards or auto/jersey cards felt like huge pulls regardless of who it was.

when I first really got into cards the guy at the local card shop hooked me up with several hundred card sleeves, a divided cardboard storage box made specifically for cards, and a signed (in person signing) Tim Brown card for free, just to get me a jump start. 

Im gonna give the kid a thousand cards this weekend, his mom says just a few cards keeps him busy for hours on end, so that should keep him busy for a while. I’ll slip some good ones in there for him.

these are all cards I have had in a box marked “eBay” for the last 10 years lol... Apparently that was never gonna happen.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

It really is. That card would've been absolute gold if Trubisky didn't freaking suck.

The funny thing is that Trubisky was unable to beat out an XFL back-up at North Carolina. And while most Tar Heel fans ironically have no idea of who Trubisky is, they pretty much all remember Marquise Williams as their best QB of the past decade.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:40 PM, Dome said:

Gave away that graded gem mint colt mccoy rookie card (lol) I posted here a while back... (edit: must’ve been a different thread) and a couple Shaun Alexander jersey cards, and a Jeryd Bayless autograph card 

gave it to my wife’s coworkers son, who is 6 and getting into cards.

Cards were only worth a couple bucks total, but he’s just been opening vanilla Walmart 12 packs for the last few months, plus he’s six years old lmao... to him this may as well have been a Pat Mahomes autographed jersey.

his mom said hey was “beyond stoked.”

Reminded me of when I was first getting into the hobby, your first couple serial number cards or auto/jersey cards felt like huge pulls regardless of who it was.

when I first really got into cards the guy at the local card shop hooked me up with several hundred card sleeves, a divided cardboard storage box made specifically for cards, and a signed (in person signing) Tim Brown card for free, just to get me a jump start. 

Im gonna give the kid a thousand cards this weekend, his mom says just a few cards keeps him busy for hours on end, so that should keep him busy for a while. I’ll slip some good ones in there for him.

these are all cards I have had in a box marked “eBay” for the last 10 years lol... Apparently that was never gonna happen.

This is probably what I'll end up doing with the cards I have. The potential money isnt anything compared to how thrilled you made that kid feel. At Christmas we usually get some crummy small things in our stocking that aren't much but I get a few packs of football cards which despite their lack of real value give a nostalgic feeling that makes it worth the $3. Hell, I would be fine if they sold the original 150 Pokemon cards in regular packs to have that to collect with my son someday(that had an end to the collection unlike the hundreds they have now) They dont have value but it was something fun I did with my Dad

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 8:46 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This is probably what I'll end up doing with the cards I have. The potential money isnt anything compared to how thrilled you made that kid feel. At Christmas we usually get some crummy small things in our stocking that aren't much but I get a few packs of football cards which despite their lack of real value give a nostalgic feeling that makes it worth the $3. Hell, I would be fine if they sold the original 150 Pokemon cards in regular packs to have that to collect with my son someday(that had an end to the collection unlike the hundreds they have now) They dont have value but it was something fun I did with my Dad

Here you go!!

https://toywiz.com/pokemon-base-set-booster-pack-shadowed/