Most talented teams that underachieved?

Elky

2004-2009 Chargers had Drew Brees and Philip Rivers as starting QBs and L.T was a MVP one season in the greastest season by a RB and made 1 AFC Championship(of which our most important players were battling injuries) Poor coaching and massive chokejob moments by knuckleheads ruined the most talented team of that six year run in 2006. 

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

That 2010 Patriots team had no business losing to freaking Mark Sanchez.

That Jets defense was really good that year. Not as good as 09 but still one of the best in the league that year with an improved running game.

17 hours ago, Malik said:

That Jets defense was really good that year. Not as good as 09 but still one of the best in the league that year with an improved running game.

True but his point remains. When you beat a team earlier by 42 you shouldn't lose to them at Gillette Stadium in the playoffs. The Jets had a terrific defense but when you were the best regular season team and go 1 and done that's underachieving.

The 1981 Eagles still had the roster that had made the Super Bowl and seemed poised to be even better this season. And for much of the year, they looked like the league's best team. But they faded down the stretch, going 1-4 and bowing out of the playoffs to the Scott Brunner-led Giants.

10 minutes ago, tom cody said:

In recent memory the 49ers. For a few yrs. early in this decade they looked like they were going to be a great Super Bowl team again. They make it 1 year and not much since. 

well they had a great 3 year run from 11-13. I don't think they underachieved because they came close each year. You could argue that they should have won the SB in 11 or 12 though.

2004-2010 Chargers.

Part of it was being in a pretty loaded AFC with the Pats, Steelers and Colts also being consistent powerhouses.

But those teams were way too stacked and talented to not have won it all at least once during that time.

1989 - 1991 Philadelphia Eagles

- Had one of the best defenses that featured guys like Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Eric Allen, Seth Joiner and Wes Horton

- Offense featured guys like Randall Cunningham, Keith Byars, Chris Carter, Keith Jackson, Mike Quick, and Fred Barnett (Not all together at the same time)

- I think they had enough talent to get at least one Championship, they had a top 5 defense and a top 15 offense, more than enough to get at least one

On 2/19/2019 at 2:09 PM, Blackstar12 said:

2005 Colts it was a much balanced team then 2006 Colts that won the Superbowl.

The 2006 Colts were such an enigma, I've never seen one player in my lifetime who mattered more to a defense then Bob Sanders did to the Colts.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

1989 - 1991 Philadelphia Eagles

- Had one of the best defenses that featured guys like Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Eric Allen, Seth Joiner and Wes Horton

- Offense featured guys like Randall Cunningham, Keith Byars, Chris Carter, Keith Jackson, Mike Quick, and Fred Barnett (Not all together at the same time)

- I think they had enough talent to get at least one Championship, they had a top 5 defense and a top 15 offense, more than enough to get at least one

They never had the coaching. Buddy just cared about the offense, Randall Cunningham's QB coach (Doug Scovil) died in 1989, and Rich Kotite was terrible.

In the 1990-91 off-season, they fired Buddy, and Belichick was available. If he goes to Philly instead of Cleveland (that wasn't rumored, BTW), that franchise may have gotten over the hump sooner.

21 hours ago, x0x said:

Chiefs 95-97

Actually, I would extend that to 1995-98. Their 1995 team wasn't that great, and they were picked by some to make the SB in 96 (but failed). In 1997, they may have been the second-best team in the NFL (but lost to Denver in a close game), and were a favorite by several people to reach SB 33 in 1998. I think the chemistry got worse, though (they signed guys like McGlockton and Wayne Simmons that may have worsened the locker room), and they were an utter disappointment, leading to Schottenheimer's resignation (which he regrets).

On 2/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

They never had the coaching. Buddy just cared about the offense, Randall Cunningham's QB coach (Doug Scovil) died in 1989, and Rich Kotite was terrible.

In the 1990-91 off-season, they fired Buddy, and Belichick was available. If he goes to Philly instead of Cleveland (that wasn't rumored, BTW), that franchise may have gotten over the hump sooner.

Explain how in 1998 NFCCG, Minnesota won the coin-toss in overtime but failed to score in two overtime possessions.

Cunningham had Randy Moss and Chris Carter. Don't tell me Dennis Green was a bad coach.

Belichick? his offense in Browns routinely scored 300 or lower.  What could he have done to make Randal Cunningham better?

You love typing with one hand while other hand is taking care of business, right?

23 hours ago, William Lee said:

Belichick? his offense in Browns routinely scored 300 or lower.  What could he have done to make Randal Cunningham better?

You love typing with one hand while other hand is taking care of business, right?

Who knows what he would have done? He probably would have found someone else because I don't see Cunningham being a Belichick-type QB.

And, as for Green, he is that bad of a coach. They should have went for it.

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Who knows what he would have done? He probably would have found someone else because I don't see Cunningham being a Belichick-type QB.

Are you saying that every coach in NFL since 1990 was moron, because I don't see a single coach can help your favorite QB score 20 pts against good defense in playoff?

Archived