Most talented teams that underachieved?

Elky

2014 Bills comes to mind for me. 

4th in total defense and 4th in PA per game. Held Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers to 358 passing yards combined with 0 touchdowns and 4 INTs.

Had an offense of Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, Marquise Goodwin and Freddy Jackson. They won 9 games but with 6 of them being against teams with a losing record and a 7th coming against a resting New England team. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Every Packers team since 2011

On 2/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, Calvert28 said:

I know people are gonna say homer alert. But I am a firm believer that Dallas could have made and even possibly won this years Super Bowl and others in years past if we were not held by by extremely poor game day coaching.

It's weird because in the overachieved topic I would put Dallas there too because it was the talent and will of this team that gave them a better record then what Garrett could scheme up.

This team should have it's picture next to the word Paradox in the dictionary.

I'd say those teams overachieved, not under. 

2002 Rams. Coming off that Super Bowl with a loaded roster, they plummeted the next year. Warner wasn't the same, and was injured as well. Same with Faulk. I think they started 1-5 or something. Marc Bulger came in, and they finished 7-9. I think Faulk came back midseason as well. 

2000 Jaguars as well. Went 14-2 the previous year, and made it to the AFC Championship. The next season they finished 7-9. They played in a hard division though to be fair. The Ravens, Titans, and Steelers twice a year. All finished with winning records. 

49 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

2002 Rams. Coming off that Super Bowl with a loaded roster, they plummeted the next year. Warner wasn't the same, and was injured as well. Same with Faulk. I think they started 1-5 or something. Marc Bulger came in, and they finished 7-9. I think Faulk came back midseason as well. 

2000 Jaguars as well. Went 14-2 the previous year, and made it to the AFC Championship. The next season they finished 7-9. They played in a hard division though to be fair. The Ravens, Titans, and Steelers twice a year. All finished with winning records. 

I was about to say the Greatest Show on Turf Rams definitely underachieved. Arguably/possibly had 4 future hall of famers on that offense and they only managed 2 playoff appearances. Granted they both ended up in the Super Bowl, but it feels like those teams should have had much better longevity. Marc Bulger getting a longer leash than the Super Bowl winning QB that was also an MVP is still bizarre.

The 1991-93 Oilers are tailor-made for this type of thread. They had Pro Bowlers all over the place, but no heart.

During a 1992 episode of NBC's NFL pre-game show NFL Live, they mentioned something about DE Ray Childress's comments. Basically, Ray said that they had a few paycheck collectors on the team.

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

I was about to say the Greatest Show on Turf Rams definitely underachieved. Arguably/possibly had 4 future hall of famers on that offense and they only managed 2 playoff appearances. Granted they both ended up in the Super Bowl, but it feels like those teams should have had much better longevity. Marc Bulger getting a longer leash than the Super Bowl winning QB that was also an MVP is still bizarre.

The Rams made the playoffs 3 straight times from 1999 to 2001. SB win, WC loss, SB loss.

Warner was playing horrible from 2002 onward. Apparently he hadn't let a hand injury heal properly. Whatever the case, he was holding the offense back at the time. This continued into the very next season in 2003, when Warner looked extremely bad in qn opening day loss to the Giants. Bulger played well the previous season. Martz couldn't sacrifice the season hoping Warner would find his magic back. I understood the move at the time.

11 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The 1991-93 Oilers are tailor-made for this type of thread. They had Pro Bowlers all over the place, but no heart.

During a 1992 episode of NBC's NFL pre-game show NFL Live, they mentioned something about DE Ray Childress's comments. Basically, Ray said that they had a few paycheck collectors on the team.

I think they just weren't that good period. Especially on defense during that 7 year playoff run.

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I think that SB loss really killed their confidence. They were the Greatest Show on Turf and that game was going to be their stamp of the beginning of a dynasty.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, NFLExpert49 said:

I don't know if I'd call any team that made it deep into the playoffs an "underachieving" team. In the end, when it comes down to one game...that's just the way it goes sometimes.

How about the 1990 Vikings? Talent out the wazzu, 6-10. 

I agree, I don’t think a deep playoff run should be considered an underachievement.  A one and done with a stacked team sure, but a championship game or super bowl appearance shouldn’t be an underachievement.  

20 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The Rams made the playoffs 3 straight times from 1999 to 2001. SB win, WC loss, SB loss.

Warner was playing horrible from 2002 onward. Apparently he hadn't let a hand injury heal properly. Whatever the case, he was holding the offense back at the time. This continued into the very next season in 2003, when Warner looked extremely bad in qn opening day loss to the Giants. Bulger played well the previous season. Martz couldn't sacrifice the season hoping Warner would find his magic back. I understood the move at the time.

He injured his hand in a game against the Chiefs.  For the next few years he couldn't grip the ball like he used to.  Somebody suggested he try wearing gloves and viola, he drags the Arizona Cardinals to the super bowl.  He retires and they immediately go back into a tailspin of futility.  

Archived