Pick a bust - 2019

BrownLeader

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

You try to lump him in and basically say its the system that is the cause of the success but if that were the case, JT Barrett would have been wildly successful in this offense as well, he wasn't. Also if you actually watched film, you would see the difficulty of throw he makes in that offense, which varies to short to deep which sets him apart. Also I notice that you didn't mention his completion % vs pressure that you so adamantly said he struggled at? Or how clutch even more clutch he was on 3rd down. And Alabama's WRs are twice the group of OSU's, that's common knowledge.

If you don't like the guy, just say it, but to try to just lazily throw him amongst a group of failed system QBs and make it seem as if he doesn't have the arm talent to set him apart is not right. Just make sure you keep that stance when he is successful

One of the best posts in this forum 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why?

I realize this isn't a particularly technical response, but I just see a really sloppy player who will lose concentration easily and not really learn the craft of how to be a technical route runner. He's gonna struggle with drops too IMO. I really liked him at first (with that physical and athletic profile, who doesn't?) but the more I watched, and in the drills at the combine, he just seems to be riding on that size and speed more than actual skill.

36 minutes ago, MergatroidSkittle said:

I realize this isn't a particularly technical response, but I just see a really sloppy player who will lose concentration easily and not really learn the craft of how to be a technical route runner. He's gonna struggle with drops too IMO. I really liked him at first (with that physical and athletic profile, who doesn't?) but the more I watched, and in the drills at the combine, he just seems to be riding on that size and speed more than actual skill.

I think he's a really good route runner actually. He does struggle with drops, but he's pretty darn quick in and out of his breaks. I could see the fear about his hands as he tends to body catch almost everything, but I'm not too worried about his routes.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

You try to lump him in and basically say its the system that is the cause of the success but if that were the case, JT Barrett would have been wildly successful in this offense as well, he wasn't. Also if you actually watched film, you would see the difficulty of throw he makes in that offense, which varies to short to deep which sets him apart. Also I notice that you didn't mention his completion % vs pressure that you so adamantly said he struggled at? Or how clutch even more clutch he was on 3rd down. And Alabama's WRs are twice the group of OSU's, that's common knowledge.

If you don't like the guy, just say it, but to try to just lazily throw him amongst a group of failed system QBs and make it seem as if he doesn't have the arm talent to set him apart is not right. Just make sure you keep that stance when he is successful

Calling the wrong individual lazy, last time I checked you rarely have information on anyone outside of Ohio State or a Defensive lineman.  You protect Ohio State prospects as if they were your own children and I am pretty sure that is what is called a bias.  You want to go back and forth though sure, but clearly we just disagree on it but if you want to call me lazy then well you better get to work...

Yes JT Barrett a pretty awful QB, but was wildly successful considering, especially his last season in this offense, for a player as lacking in overall arm talent as he was, yeah he played pretty well and won a decent amount of games.  Injuries caught up to him for sure and was probably asked to run more than he really should have because that beat him down physically which also hurt all the other parts of his game.  But he was successful in that offense with those weapons, no a real big surprise.  Haskins clearly took it to another level though and is clearly a better player and passer and it shows with better numbers.  

I also notice you do not mention how all of those apparently awful Ohio State WRs blew up the combine in terms of their physical numbers, yeah all three team captains on the team who are so bad to throw the ball too?  Ohio State had three players in the top 16 overall at the NFL combine regardless of position in the 40 yard dash.  Campbell 4.31 the 3rd best overall, McLauren 4.35 the 7th best and Dixon 4.41 the 16th best overall.  That did not help him one bit though right?  To say Ohio State with Ryan Day is not a system it is, it is similar to a Chip Kelly system of offense someone Day coached under, but last year they had hell of a lot more receivers than most passing offenses like that have. Haskins took full advantage of it and did great, does that mean he will be a first time great Ohio State QB in the NFL, time will tell.

Haskins did impress throwing the ball at the combine no doubt, has a nice touch.  But I feel he could physically balloon weight wise a little in the NFL which might become a problem.  I also feel he is a product of a great system a system which I have said a million times has a lot of damn talent at the receiver position.  He could spread the ball around no question because the options were numerous.  Will see how he does in the NFL.  You do realize though based on how much you protect him he will basically have to become Drew Brees #2, because that is the amount of faith you are putting with the kid, and that is a pedestal I simply do not believe he deserves to be on.   

These are QBs I have noticeably disliked over the years tried to rank them in order of dislike, now I kind of like Alex Smith now as a pro but did not like the system he came out of in college, so was wrong there.  Also with Derek Carr he has turned out to be an ok QB but still is a little on the overrated side but at least is better than his brother.  Goff sure has had success but that is mostly thanks to where he is at currently and who is his coach, I think he was just overrated coming out of college and is more limited than people think.  So where Haskins ends up and what situation will tell a lot about what kind of player he might become like with many QBs.  

Sam Bradford
Johnny Manziel
Josh Rosen
Tim Tebow
Brandon Weeden
Vince Young
Christian Hackenberg
Jake Locker
David Carr
Alex Smith
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Quincy Carter

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Calling the wrong individual lazy, last time I checked you rarely have information on anyone outside of Ohio State or a Defensive lineman.  You protect Ohio State prospects as if they were your own children and I am pretty sure that is what is called a bias.  You want to go back and forth though sure, but clearly we just disagree on it but if you want to call me lazy then well you better get to work...

Yes JT Barrett a pretty awful QB, but was wildly successful considering, especially his last season in this offense, for a player as lacking in overall arm talent as he was, yeah he played pretty well and won a decent amount of games.  Injuries caught up to him for sure and was probably asked to run more than he really should have because that beat him down physically which also hurt all the other parts of his game.  But he was successful in that offense with those weapons, no a real big surprise.  Haskins clearly took it to another level though and is clearly a better player and passer and it shows with better numbers.  

I also notice you do not mention how all of those apparently awful Ohio State WRs blew up the combine in terms of their physical numbers, yeah all three team captains on the team who are so bad to throw the ball too?  Ohio State had three players in the top 16 overall at the NFL combine regardless of position in the 40 yard dash.  Campbell 4.31 the 3rd best overall, McLauren 4.35 the 7th best and Dixon 4.41 the 16th best overall.  That did not help him one bit though right?  To say Ohio State with Ryan Day is not a system it is, it is similar to a Chip Kelly system of offense someone Day coached under, but last year they had hell of a lot more receivers than most passing offenses like that have. Haskins took full advantage of it and did great, does that mean he will be a first time great Ohio State QB in the NFL, time will tell.

Haskins did impress throwing the ball at the combine no doubt, has a nice touch.  But I feel he could physically balloon weight wise a little in the NFL which might become a problem.  I also feel he is a product of a great system a system which I have said a million times has a lot of damn talent at the receiver position.  He could spread the ball around no question because the options were numerous.  Will see how he does in the NFL.  You do realize though based on how much you protect him he will basically have to become Drew Brees #2, because that is the amount of faith you are putting with the kid, and that is a pedestal I simply do not believe he deserves to be on.   

These are QBs I have noticeably disliked over the years tried to rank them in order of dislike, now I kind of like Alex Smith now as a pro but did not like the system he came out of in college, so was wrong there.  Also with Derek Carr he has turned out to be an ok QB but still is a little on the overrated side but at least is better than his brother.  Goff sure has had success but that is mostly thanks to where he is at currently and who is his coach, I think he was just overrated coming out of college and is more limited than people think.  So where Haskins ends up and what situation will tell a lot about what kind of player he might become like with many QBs.  

Sam Bradford
Johnny Manziel
Josh Rosen
Tim Tebow
Brandon Weeden
Vince Young
Christian Hackenberg
Jake Locker
David Carr
Alex Smith
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Quincy Carter

I just can't anymore....

Apparently you need to do more checking

DK Metcalf would worry me depending on what you are expecting.  Would a Torrey Smith type career be disappointing? If so, then DK would be on my bust list the higher he is taken.

27 minutes ago, Naz said:

DK Metcalf would worry me depending on what you are expecting.  Would a Torrey Smith type career be disappointing? If so, then DK would be on my bust list the higher he is taken.

If people are expecting Calvin Johnson they will be disappointed.  I think he could be closer to Breshad Perriman.

13 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I've seen Parris Campbell mocked in the 1st round. That has disaster written all over it.

Fair, all depends on where he goes. If he gets a chance to develop, he could develop into something special but also he could be a Cordarrelle Patterson/Ted Ginn type of journeyman who sticks around and has a decent career because of his speed.

Archived