Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

God I love Max Scherzer

As do I but if someone offers you a bounty of prospects you almost have to consider it. The team, as currently constructed, doesn’t have much of a shot at the series and Rendon all but seems gone at this point. If it’s me, Doolittle, Rendon and Scherzer are all on the block and I’m fielding offers. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

As do I but if someone offers you a bounty of prospects you almost have to consider it. The team, as currently constructed, doesn’t have much of a shot at the series and Rendon all but seems gone at this point. If it’s me, Doolittle, Rendon and Scherzer are all on the block and I’m fielding offers. 

Having this conversation in the baseball sub. Honestly, Scherzer's value will never be higher and there is a dearth of TOR starters right now. I want him to go into the HoF as a Nationals. But on the other hand, Clint Frazier would be much better for the team, long term.

9 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Having this conversation in the baseball sub. Honestly, Scherzer's value will never be higher and there is a dearth of TOR starters right now. I want him to go into the HoF as a Nationals. But on the other hand, Clint Frazier would be much better for the team, long term.

When they made it clear they weren’t serious about a deal with Rendon the flood gates should’ve opened for Rizzo. Strasburg isn’t going to opt out and I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract with his injury history so Stras, Corbin, Sanchez and Fedde would be your four starters for next year and then the trades of Rendon, Scherzer and Doolittle could potentially bring back a young fifth starter. 

Kendrick and Dozier have to be dealt as well. I’d love to see this team make a run but the odds of them catching the Braves are so remote and really for what? So we can delay this another season? You have a good, young foundation and can add a substantial amount of talent by dealing away older players. They have to consider this route especially after letting Bryce walk for nothing. You simply cannot do that again with Rendon. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

When they made it clear they weren’t serious about a deal with Rendon the flood gates should’ve opened for Rizzo. Strasburg isn’t going to opt out and I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract with his injury history so Stras, Corbin, Sanchez and Fedde would be your four starters for next year and then the trades of Rendon, Scherzer and Doolittle could potentially bring back a young fifth starter. 

Kendrick and Dozier have to be dealt as well. I’d love to see this team make a run but the odds of them catching the Braves are so remote and really for what? So we can delay this another season? You have a good, young foundation and can add a substantial amount of talent by dealing away older players. They have to consider this route especially after letting Bryce walk for nothing. You simply cannot do that again with Rendon. 

I do wonder if Strasburg would opt out if he got traded some place he wasn't comfortable with. Like if they traded him to the Yankees, he might decide, no thanks, and opt out so he can sign with the Padres.

Honestly, if he finishes the season healthy (huge if), he can get the same deal he has now, if not more. He's showing that he can pitch with decreased velocity. That's huge for him. That's what separates him from becoming Felix Hernandez

Ironically, there was fan site article about this very topic:https://www.draysbay.com/2019/6/18/18682407/rays-trade-target-stephen-strasburg

Building a trade

The Nationals system has five 45 FV prospects or better, including two SS and three RHP. They could use a reload of the farm, and should be open to accepting most any position. As for the Rays version of Smoak, the very best pieces on the Rays will not be available — McKay (about to enter the Rays rotation) and Franco (the No. 1 prospect in baseball) are untouchable.

Instead, based on their system’s needs, I would think the Nats would be more interested in major league ready OF Jesus Sanchez for their opening in right field more than farther off second baseman Vidal Brujan to anchor the deal, although both are 55 FV prospects of note. Baseball America considers Sanchez the better of the two, although just by four spots in the Top-100 at No. 47 and 51 respectively.

From there, the Nationals would be wise to push for a 45 FV prospect from the Rays deep system, which for the Rays means between No. 10 and 22 from the system, which does mirror the Lee deal from nearly a decade ago. Outfielders Josh Lowe (Double-A) or Nick Schnell (Rookie league) could fit the bill as former first round talents, but the Nationals would likely be better advised to prioritize system needs over pedigree, perhaps bringing UTIL Nick Solak into focus.

Add two more fliers and you’re there. If the Rays do deal two of their top-100 prospects by including Solak, perhaps in the deal they could also procure their own Mark Lowein another expiring contract on DC’s books (Sean Doolittle, come on down!). Of course that complicated the entire trade scenario, but that’s half the fun.

Let’s acknowledge that contract one more time. Tampa Bay will need to negotiate in some protections in case Strasburg does not elect to opt out of his contract, at least to offset the poison pill in the final year. Those safeguards should not matter too much though, as that opt out is coming in 2019 and 2020. One of those gets picked up.

First off, it would seem he's more valuable if he opts out. I actually could see that happening. Trade him to a SD, St Louis, or a Colorado, and I don't think he'd opt out. But a Tampa? yea, he'd want out of there.

Second, I don't consider Sanchez ready. I also don't think Robles is ready this year, but that's another topic. Sanchez is raw still. But he's not going to be ready by the start of next season, Which, honestly, would be fine if you weren't planning to contend next year. But if they're giving us a choice of the two, I'd go Brujan. I like the speed. I like the idea of Brujan, Robles, and Turner in the lineup. All three are 30+ steal candidates. Not that stealing bases is that valuable, but it would at least be fun to watch. Solak's ceiling isn't much more than Difo. While Schnell or Lowe have much greater floor collapse probability, I think you gotta take a shot at one of them developing.

So yeah, that looks really, really good on paper. And who knows, if he opts out, maybe you can convince him to come back to DC. Doubtful, but maybe.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

I do wonder if Strasburg would opt out if he got traded some place he wasn't comfortable with. Like if they traded him to the Yankees, he might decide, no thanks, and opt out so he can sign with the Padres.

Honestly, if he finishes the season healthy (huge if), he can get the same deal he has now, if not more. He's showing that he can pitch with decreased velocity. That's huge for him. That's what separates him from becoming Felix Hernandez

Strasburg is a strange bird bro. He loves it here and if he’s not traded, which I don’t think he will be, I don’t see him opting out. Maybe he goes back home but he had the chance to try that before and elected to work out a deal early and stay in DC. 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:08 AM, lavar703 said:

Consider it, maybe, but you have to account for the fact that you have a sure-fire Hall of Fame pitcher under control. You do not want to be the next generation Mets trading away Nolan Ryan. Yes, I understand that it looks bleak right now, but I'm not sure I would be ready to blow it all up (and I suspect the Lerners are not either, if for no other reason than to justify their big investments in these guys).

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

Ironically, there was fan site article about this very topic:https://www.draysbay.com/2019/6/18/18682407/rays-trade-target-stephen-strasburg

First off, it would seem he's more valuable if he opts out. I actually could see that happening. Trade him to a SD, St Louis, or a Colorado, and I don't think he'd opt out. But a Tampa? yea, he'd want out of there.

Second, I don't consider Sanchez ready. I also don't think Robles is ready this year, but that's another topic. Sanchez is raw still. But he's not going to be ready by the start of next season, Which, honestly, would be fine if you weren't planning to contend next year. But if they're giving us a choice of the two, I'd go Brujan. I like the speed. I like the idea of Brujan, Robles, and Turner in the lineup. All three are 30+ steal candidates. Not that stealing bases is that valuable, but it would at least be fun to watch. Solak's ceiling isn't much more than Difo. While Schnell or Lowe have much greater floor collapse probability, I think you gotta take a shot at one of them developing.

So yeah, that looks really, really good on paper. And who knows, if he opts out, maybe you can convince him to come back to DC. Doubtful, but maybe.

Now, trading Strasburg? That makes some sense, due to his injury history (and contract), given that you could still field a fair amount of talent back for him.

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Strasburg is a strange bird bro. He loves it here and if he’s not traded, which I don’t think he will be, I don’t see him opting out. Maybe he goes back home but he had the chance to try that before and elected to work out a deal early and stay in DC. 

Strong possibility he would opt out at 2020 (especially if the team is teetering) after collecting $25M.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Now, trading Strasburg? That makes some sense, due to his injury history (and contract), given that you could still field a fair amount of talent back for him.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Strong possibility he would opt out at 2020 (especially if the team is teetering) after collecting $25M.

His trade value won't get any higher. It's highly unlikely he opts out after next season, simply because of the injury history and guaranteed money.