Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Most recently: pitched doolittle back to back in a 4 run game. Next night we were in a save situation and had to trot out a 42 year old to pitch.  We only won because of errors by umps. 

Not sure how that makes him “so bad.” The Nats don’t have many options to work the 8th and 9th. That’s not Davey’s fault, it’s Rizzo’s and the Lerner’s for not agreeing to pay more for relievers.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:52 PM, turtle28 said:

Not sure how that makes him “so bad.” The Nats don’t have many options to work the 8th and 9th. That’s not Davey’s fault, it’s Rizzo’s and the Lerner’s for not agreeing to pay more for relievers.

You can still misuse them. See example you quoted. And that's not the first, second, third, fourth, etc time he's done it. 

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You can still misuse them. See example you quoted. And that's not the first, second, third, fourth, etc time he's done it. 

He doesn't have a choice. Which reliever not named Doolittle would you have trusted with a four run lead in the 9th? The answer is none.

Martinez and the Nats are fighting to make the playoffs. As far as they're concerned, the postseason is now. Until Rizzo actually does something to fix the pen, this is the only play Martinez has.

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

He doesn't have a choice. Which reliever not named Doolittle would you have trusted with a four run lead in the 9th? The answer is none.

Martinez and the Nats are fighting to make the playoffs. As far as they're concerned, the postseason is now. Until Rizzo actually does something to fix the pen, this is the only play Martinez has.

If you're going to rely on Rodney to be your "backup" reliever, why not there?

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If you're going to rely on Rodney to be your "backup" reliever, why not there?

He's only the backup closer because there's no one else. Rodney has been awful this season.

Also, the 26th was a save situation. on the 27th, it was a save situation until the Nats scored. Doolittle was already warming up. Maybe you shut him down, but then you have to get Rodney up. He's 42. I'm betting that there are some limitations there.

Just now, Slateman said:

He's only the backup closer because there's no one else. Rodney has been awful this season.

Also, the 26th was a save situation. on the 27th, it was a save situation until the Nats scored. Doolittle was already warming up. Maybe you shut him down, but then you have to get Rodney up. He's 42. I'm betting that there are some limitations there.

I understand Rodney has been awful. I also could have sworn that Rainey was also warming up?

I just can't sit here and pretend like Davey is going to save us himself from a bad situation. Yes, Rizzo has screwed up. He screwed up a number of ways the past couple seasons. One of them was hiring this guy. There are plenty of issues still with the team, and Davey is still one of them.