Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

That should have been a sweep. You can't score 9 runs against the Braves and lose. You can't lose a game in which Soroka exits after the second inning.

That simply can't ******* happen.

The moment Rosenthal walked the first batter he should’ve been removed. That wasn’t the time to tinker around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The moment Rosenthal walked the first batter he should’ve been removed. That wasn’t the time to tinker around. 

Davy looked like a deer in headlights. 

Is consistently NOT building a bullpen a fireable offense for Rizzo? I've been pro-Rizzo in the past... now I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Davy looked like a deer in headlights. 

Is consistently NOT building a bullpen a fireable offense for Rizzo? I've been pro-Rizzo in the past... now I'm not so sure.

Not really. Frankly, it's pretty difficult to consistently have a quality bullpen. Relievers are often volatile.

And honestly, who saw the bullpen being this freaking bad? Sure, Rosenthal was a bit of a gamble, but a bunch of other teams wanted to sign him. And Rosenthal looked good in ST. But Suero, Grace, Miller, Sipp, and Barraclough all had at least some proven track record of being decent/serviceable. If they had even performed to their career or last two or three seasons average, we'd be a handful of games over .500.

Rizzo has always had decent bullpens and waited until the deadline to improve them.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, lavar703 said:

If Davey Martinez uses Rosenthal again he should be fired on the spot. DFA the guy already. Christ. 

Don't think that was his call. I think that was a Rizzo call who, by the way made an awful signing! 

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Huh? Rizzo doesn’t pick who comes out to pitch and how long they stay out there. 

I think it was the plan they had as an organization and I think the plan to give Rosenthal one last shot came from above Davey. If Rizzo was involved in the decision of everything that went on with Rosenthal this year from how he was handled after he first bombed early in the season to when he got sent down to the majors to the plan to have him come back and get one more chance to pitch in the majors, I’d be the most shocked I've ever been in my life.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Sadly, the $7M contact, Rizzo gave him, dictated Rosenthal getting another shot. 

This. And honestly, that wasn't even a bad contract given his workout and spring training performance. But they did everything they could to get Rosenthal where he needed to be. He couldn't do it.

Payroll is tight now. Nats probably have ~3 million before the luxury tax threshold.

• Like 1