Clowney gets Franchise Tag

mse326

This is stupid. I don't care what numbers say, Clowney makes this team better. His disruption in all facets of the game alone is enough to warrant his payday. This idiot conglomerate of a franchise refused to just pay the man his money and they will regret whatever flatter organization ie O'Brien trade they come up with. For a team that pretends to be a pass rushing threat they sure don't execute like it. 

• Like 5

I hope they can figure something out to keep him in Houston.

There is no way the Texans get back anything close to his worth if they trade him. The only way I don’t come out of this extremely disappointed is if they can get a franchise LT out of this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Clowney has fired his agent. Reports are he wasn’t happy with how this entire thing has gone down. 

Will be interesting to to see what happens. We should trade BOB. 

So, Clowney (with no agent) and the Texans (with no GM) are negotiating right now.

This... should be a disaster. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Just look at the numbers. Clowney wants to be paid like a top 5 defensive players. He’s a former #1 overall pick who has 29 sacks and 4 forced fumbles and 0 INTs in 5 seasons. He’s never recorded over 41 solo tackles  

he makes big plays and a few times a season has a monster game  and then will have games where he is completely unnoticeable.

We have plenty of money so I’m not even opposed to just paying the guy but the only thing he’s top 5 in is most over rated players.   

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s obvious that you have some irrational bias towards Clowney, so we really can’t have this conversation. 1 TFL doesn’t mean he wasn’t absent most of the game. I’m glad you looked at box score numbers though because that tells the story. 

I have been plenty critical of Clowney before and I do NOT think he is a top 5 defensive player.  I do think he is a top 5 OLB and absolutely critical component of this defense.   I don't think Matt Stafford or Kirk Cousins are the two best players in the NFL this season either, but their paychecks say they are and it's hard to argue that the Lions or Vikings would be better off sticking some 4th rounder or UDFA in their spot.  Again, Kalil and Colvin take up as much cap space as Clowney - it ain't about the money!!!  When you are 26 and entering free agency in 2019 cap dollars, that earns you $100 million and that is why there are dozens of teams lining up to cash in on O'Brien making Clowney a distressed asset.   The only discernible reason he is being shopped is another completely irrational personal beef between management and player which completely sabotaged us with Duane Brown and we seem prepared to throw away an incredibly marketable asset for pennies on the dollar again. Why would anyone support us following a Raiders/Redskins management model unless we are happy lumping ourselves in with the worst run organizations in sports for the past 2 decades?

This is about ONE man, Bill O'Brien, who is the one with an irrational hate for Clowney and has since day one.  His bullying and shaming and the NRG turf were directly responsible for Clowney's knee injury that caused his career to get off to a slow start and now because he is stubborn mule who refuses to admit that his buddy Mike Devlin is woefully incompetent at his job in nearly every aspect, but seemingly wants to acquire more assets for him to squander. There is no planet where the objectively mediocre Bill O'Brien who I do not believe is qualified to be an OC in this league better yet an all powerful HC/General Manager is not more replaceable than Jadeveon Clowney. 

If you say Clowney is NOT a top 5 OLB, let's see your list, then throw out that list and give me your list of players or draft picks that are actually available to replace him with or how you better spend his $16 million or the extra $36 million of cap dollars we just flush away. Texans ownership is either so clueless, apathetic, or profit focused that they refuse to see that we are yet again repeating the pattern where we support coaches or GMs with poor track records franchise dismantling choices on their way out the door instead of standing up to them and recognizing that star players are harder to find than mediocre coaches and GMs and telling them to dance with who brung em, or the next coach/GM will. You don't dismantle a top 4 defense, because your "offensive guru" can't field an top 20 offense despite having one of the best WR/QB tandems in the NFL and multiple other 1st rounders. You admit that 5 years of watching him pound an outside runner up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, never incorporating a slot receiver, forgetting that TEs matter, or scheming anything to get the ball out faster that your "offensive guru" was simply the beneficiary of Tom Brady and Gronk and if anything is holding Deshaun Watson back.

BTW - Let's not forget that Justin Houston did not reach his 22 sack potential until after Romeo Crennel was shown the door in KC (and Tamba Hali's sack totals spiked as well) so perhaps Crennel's outmoded bend dont break, don't cause turnovers system is a contributing factor as well.

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Just look at the numbers. Clowney wants to be paid like a top 5 defensive players. He’s a former #1 overall pick who has 29 sacks and 4 forced fumbles and 0 INTs in 5 seasons. He’s never recorded over 41 solo tackles

Over the past three seasons only Chandler Jones and Aaron Donald have more TFLs than him and he’s the only player to have finished in the top 10 for TFLs in the past three years besides Cam Jordan.

• Like 3

We would be a better team if we traded Clowney for an above average LT. That says everything we need to know about paying him like crazy. 

Cousins and Stafford were brought up, I can’t tell if it’s serious or not but comparing an OLB to over paying a QB is such a terrible comparison. 

I read a rumored deal is to send Clowney to Miami for Tunsil and Kenny Still. I’d go there. I’ve also read that Miami won’t trade Tunsil. 

But just for argument sake, that would complete our offense and make us deadly. Our WR depth would be great, especially considering Fuller and Coutee can’t stay healthy. Our line would be young but have some solid guys to build with. Howard can play LG, probably his better long term spot anyway or him or Tunsil can kick to RT next year. 

Im not trading Clowney to the dolphins without Tunsil coming back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I read a rumored deal is to send Clowney to Miami for Tunsil and Kenny Still. I’d go there. 

I'd kill for that deal. I don't want to lose Clowney, but if I am losing him - it's for a deal like this. I'd probably throw in a comp 3rd to sweeten this deal (we should get one for Mathieu, might even get one for Kareem Jackson).

Jets have a glaring need at edge rusher for a long time and have cap space. What "realistically" will it take to trade for him? Keep in mind he could just be a 1 year rental for whoever trades for him being he cant sign long term with whoever trades for him, so that should bring down his value a bit too.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Jets have a glaring need at edge rusher for a long time and have cap space. What "realistically" will it take to trade for him? Keep in mind he could just be a 1 year rental for whoever trades for him being he cant sign long term with whoever trades for him, so that should bring down his value a bit too.

Reports were that it could be as little as a second, according to Albert Breer from what he heard from other teams. Add in a maybe a little sweetener, and I think that could be it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Yeah Clowney is a real "lazy" player ¬¬

Here's a clip of Clowney trying to prevent a TD on a mistake made by Quentin Demps.

If he had stopped on this play, nobody would have faulted him. But, he hustled as hard as I've seen anyone on any team hustle.

(We're not going to even go into how a 6' 5" 270lb LB has the foot speed to keep pace with a WR who runs in the 4.4s. This is an inhuman display of athleticism, there are maybe five people on the planet at this size, who can run like this).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000768992/article/jadeveon-clowney-is-a-terrifying-athletic-genius-man

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I read a rumored deal is to send Clowney to Miami for Tunsil and Kenny Still. I’d go there. I’ve also read that Miami won’t trade Tunsil. 

But just for argument sake, that would complete our offense and make us deadly. Our WR depth would be great, especially considering Fuller and Coutee can’t stay healthy. Our line would be young but have some solid guys to build with. Howard can play LG, probably his better long term spot anyway or him or Tunsil can kick to RT next year. 

Im not trading Clowney to the dolphins without Tunsil coming back. 

I am so glad garbage like this is out there to help sift thru the obvious blind speculation by people who know absolutely nothing about this organization.  Stills is a Kaepernick supporting kneeling "activist" who just got done publicly ripping his owner over his Trump support.  He is at best on the roster bubble as any 37 catch / 553 yard receiver making $9.7 million should be.  His base salary is $8 mil which we would still be on the hook for which is why he will be released and clear waivers before anyone touches him.  As for Tunsil, I'd be all for it if I thought it made any sense for the Dolphins at all to ditch top 3 young LT for one year of Clowney when they are clearly rebuilding.

The simple fact of the matter is that it makes no sense for either party to trade Clowney right now.  If we weren't going to resign him then we would be in a far better position to leverage the tag into a sign and trade since we have boatloads of cap space to eat the bonus to maximize our return vs. teams assuming the risk that he just walks next year or holds out to force a distressed asset trade on them.  For him, Houston is a known quantity with a rock solid front 7 to draw attention away from him, so just play it out and if you still want out, force the trade next offseason when all 31 teams can bid for your services vs. risking signing and being dealt to an undesirable location (sorry the Dolphins are no where near South Beach, play in a humid half empty stadium, and are staring at a full rebuild with a ton of 2nd halfs where teams are just running out the clock on them). If it's personal with Bob, then just hang with RAC and wait Bob out as if we don't have a playoff run in us this year, he's gotta be out, right? If it's personal for Bob, then why on earth would you let Clowney "win" by sending him to a contender for pennies on the dollar or draft picks you may not be here to use. If Clowney holds out for the season, then he holds out and we go thru this whole exercise again while saving $16 million and having full "sign and trade" leverage again.  Grown men should be able to work this stuff out or to me it's clearly another nail in O'Brien's coffin as "does not work well with others" is a tough tag to overcome when looking for a new job, especially when you've gotten two GMs fired.

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1