Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

I am going to bite my tongue until I see the contract, but I wonder if the plan is:

1. Use Peterson heavily in beginning of the season.
  2. Ease Guice into the rotation.
  3. Tail off Peterson's usage towards the end, giving more time/carries to Guice.
  4. Cut Peterson after the season (or, ideally, have the second year auto-void).

Considering our QBs suck, our WRs aren't much better, and our TE will be on IR by Week 3, I think the strategy will be to run the ball, run it again, then run it some more.  

Just now, Doc Draper said:

I like it. My only suggestion would be to keep Peterson as a player coach for the running backs next year as a coach we have now is bottom of the barrelI a 

Eh, not sure I agree with this.

For one thing, I'm not sure Peterson will be able to accept switching to coaching next year. I suspect he'll still think he can contribute to a team (and it's very possible he could). For another, when you are as instinctual as he is, I wonder if he'd be able to coach a young guy up. They've shown that true experts make horrible teachers because things are just obvious to them.

9 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Maybe but what I like about MVP is he won’t be a players friend or Patsy, or teet twisting buddy: he’d put a boot up your backslide if you aren’t being serious and giving 100%

Yeah. On the downside is we lose the 5th round comp pick

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

I am going to bite my tongue until I see the contract, but I wonder if the plan is:

1. Use Peterson heavily in beginning of the season.
  2. Ease Guice into the rotation.
  3. Tail off Peterson's usage towards the end, giving more time/carries to Guice.
  4. Cut Peterson after the season (or, ideally, have the second year auto-void).

This ^^. It's why I was in favor of re-signing him.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. On the downside is we lose the 5th round comp pick

Why? Re-signing your own player doesn't count against you in the compensatory calculation, only if you sign someone else's player.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Why? Re-signing your own player doesn't count against you in the compensatory calculation, only if you sign someone else's player.

Was just about the say the same thing and even if we did lose it, its just a5th round pick, not a big deal.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Was just about the say the same thing and even if we did lose it, its just a5th round pick, not a big deal.

Yeah, but you don't want to throw away draft picks if you can avoid it. Well, most franchises believe this.

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

Doh...you're correct! 

And I KNEW this too as I was just explaining it to a coworker

#Brainfart

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yeah, but you don't want to throw away draft picks if you can avoid it. Well, most franchises believe this.

So, we shouldn't sign a free agent and improve our team because we hope that we may get a comp pick in two years?

I'd take Peterson over one of the last picks of the 5th round every single day of the year.

We’re not talking about a 3rd round comp here. We're talking about a late 5th or a 6th round comp.

Just now, turtle28 said:

So, we shouldn't sign a free agent and improve our team because we hope that we may get a comp pick in two years?

I'd take Peterson over one of the last picks on the 5th round every single day of the year.

We’re not talking about a 3rd round comp here. We're talking about  a late 5th or a 6th round comp.

Flipside of that: if he were not already Washington's own free agent, we were talking about signing him for one year just to ease Guice into the starting rotation. That's not really worth dumping a pick over.

Archived