Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Damn, that’s a nice payday for Ty. He’s earned it and I think Buffalo got themselves a damn good tackle. I wonder if we’ll consider Jonah Williams if he’s on the board? 

Good for Nsekhe. He’s played a lot for terrible money. Glad he got his payday. Geron Christian you better be ready 

36 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Good for Nsekhe. He’s played a lot for terrible money. Glad he got his payday. Geron Christian you better be ready 

And/or more investment in offensive linemen.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's hard to do much of anything if you're getting those kind of inconsistent snaps. You can't tell me that Anderson got consistent snaps or even knew he’d be in on certain packages like Galette did when he was here.

He got less snaps after Galette left. This is his season. Galette's long gone. Smith's gone. McPhee's (probably) gone. If he doesn't get it done this year, will you consider that he's a bust?

Or, what will happen if Washington uses a 1st or 2nd round pick on another edge rusher? Or signs another one year guy? Will it be that he didn't get a chance yet again? At some point, he has to beat out the other guys on the roster. If he cannot do that, then he's a bust of a pick. If the coaching staff cannot figure out to use him, he's still a bust of a pick (though it might not be his fault).

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal that I won't call Anderson a bust anyways. This whole argument is totally being blown out of proportion. Just bc I won't hate a young player like the rest of you, who I don't feel has gotten a true chance to play meaningful snaps at his best position, does not mean that I’m calling him some good or great player.

1. Because he was a 2nd round pick and in his first two years, he's done next to nothing. Most teams expect their 2nd round picks to be contributing in year one and usually starting in year two.
  2. Because most teams don't spend a 2nd round pick on a backup for a position where the incumbent starter got a major contract two years prior.
  3. Because you have a track record of selecting a player that everyone else is done with and deciding to die on that player's hill ... until it comes time to wipe them away.
  4. Because this attitude:

It just is what it is, and no one is changing my mind about it, so stop trying to.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe we should go after Perry or Houston? Both guys were cut so we wouldn’t lose a compensation pick signing either. 

Perry, I'm not sure I would chase after (the take from GB fans is "poor man's Jaguar" ... looks the part but always in the shop (and may not be as good as you expect when running)). Houston? I might be willing to spin the wheel on a reclamation/short term deal.

Justin Houston is no reclamation project, he’s got 18.5 sacks the last two seasons. Top 20 in the league, despite only playing 27 games. He’ll only be 30 this season, and he can still go. He’ll be a great addition for someone — probably New England, knowing how they operate, but maybe a team like Baltimore.

My thing is, what’s the point in a short-term deal for the Redskins? They have no starting caliber QB next season, so it’s a wasted year in terms of competing. It should be a building-up-for-the-future year and a losing-because-our-QB-stinks-but-gonna-get-a-high-draft-pick year. 

A short term deal for a 30-year-old player, even a good player, doesn’t help us with either. Unless we think he can play at a starter level for another 3 or 4 more years — and I’m a big Justin Houston fan, but with his injury history I’m skeptical of that — then I don’t really see the point. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Justin Houston is no reclamation project, he’s got 18.5 sacks the last two seasons. Top 20 in the league, despite only playing 27 games. He’ll only be 30 this season, and he can still go. He’ll be a great addition for someone — probably New England, knowing how they operate, but maybe a team like Baltimore.

My thing is, what’s the point in a short-term deal for the Redskins? They have no starting caliber QB next season, so it’s a wasted year in terms of competing. It should be a building-up-for-the-future year and a losing-because-our-QB-stinks-but-gonna-get-a-high-draft-pick year. 

A short term deal for a 30-year-old player, even a good player, doesn’t help us with either. Unless we think he can play at a starter level for another 3 or 4 more years — and I’m a big Justin Houston fan, but with his injury history I’m skeptical of that — then I don’t really see the point. 

Reclamation was a poor choice of words. Meant pick him up on a short deal, hope he balls out (and stays healthy) then let him walk in hopes of getting a compensatory pick out of him.

But you're right on the other parts.

I like a lot of the FA OLBs who are available, but I like Sweat, Ferrell, Polite and Burns more then them. I'd rather get a young stud whos best days are in front of them rather than a guy who hasn't shown much or is can't about past his prime.

Now that Preston is gone, I'm ALL IN on pass rusher in round 1!

It fills a major need, will be one of the BPA's and edge pass rusher is one of the top 5 most important positions on a football team. If we can get one of these guys and they can be a double-digit pass rusher opposite Kerrigan to go along with our stout pass rushers inside, look out, our D could be amazing.

18 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Man...We need a swing OT. Another need. You know either Trent or Morgan (or both) will miss time at some point. No way we can ride with Geron or whoever we currently have.

It’s going to be Christian.  We didn’t spend a 3rd round pick on him to just abandon him after one injured season.

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s going to be Christian.  We didn’t spend a 3rd round pick on him to just abandon him after one injured season.

Yeesh. Well he’s gotta improve immensely. I liked the draft pick initially, but he looked really weak. I guess you can always add functional strength, but he was getting moved with ease.

adding a veteran wouldn’t hurt either.

I find it a little odd that they were apparently so hot to trot to try and go spend tens of millions on CJ Mosley after getting Collins done, but now there’s crickets from beat reporters and Twitter about anyone else they’re looking at. 

I guess it’s good that they want to either go big for elite talent or wait it out and find bargains — but it’s not very Redskins-esque. 

Archived