Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Give it to me straight on Preston Smith, please. 

I honestly think he’d only been starting because we had no one else to put there. I have no idea what the rest of the league sees that makes him that valuable? 

Nick Perry was cut  by the Packers after they signed Preston Smith. He didn't live up to the deal that the Packers signed him to a few years ago because of injuries.

With Anthony Barr returning to Minnesota, it's been rumored that Everson Griffen is a likely cap casualty. Yes, he had his mental issue last year, but it seems since then he's had no more issues.

Then, as Lavar has said, Shane Ray will be out there too to be signed.

On top of that, there are some good edge pass rushers who should be available when we pick at 15.

It seems to me that they should be able to fill the hole at ROLB through a cheaper signing in free agency or through the draft.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Give it to me straight on Preston Smith, please. 

Lol lol you’ll see him getting close when rushing the pass, soft and supple in the run game hence I’ve called him Nancy . He’d not terrible but not very good. Oh terrible in pass coverage with tight hips. If he toughened up he’s a good option as interior rush guy but he’s limited physically 

just saw you guys signing Ty at tackle. A few years ago he was our second best tackle but our genius HC never played him. Our LG has been garbage for years and they never played him there either saying he was too tall- getting s flavor why we suck?  I think he’s getting old now but can still be a depth guy but may be injury prone 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Preston Smith came in as the third edge rusher in 2015, behind Kerrigan and Murphy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitPr00/fantasy/2015

Took 12 snaps Week 1, then 17, in Week 2, then 27 in week 3, then 30 in Week 4. Over the back half of his rookie season, he averaged 39 snaps per game. You find a way on the field if you're producing. 

Or you play fullback.

Different situation. Preston Smith is more of a fit at ROLB than Trent Murphy was. Smith was the better athlete with the quicker first step.

And, get this, Preston Smith is a better fit at ROlB than Ryan Anderson because Preston Smith is a better athlete with a quicker first step then them, and that's what you need out of a ROLB.

The guys who are more power guys with less athleticism are better fits for LOLB. Like a Ryan Kerrigan. Heck, I even think Smith is a better fit at LOLB than ROLB, but that being said, he's a better athlete than Kerrigan, Murphy, and Anderson. Galette was the only OLB who was a better athlete than Smith is his time here.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Okay.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm

• 2018 (total snaps = 1033)
    • Ryan Kerrigan = 819 snaps (79.28%)
      • 43 tackles (30 solo), 11 TFL, 19 QB hits, AV 10
    • Ryan Anderson = 163 snaps (15.78%)
      • 18 tackles (7 solo), 1 TFL, 4 QB hits, AV 1
  • 2017 (total snaps = 1096)
    • Ryan Kerrigan = 820 snaps (74.82%)
      • 46 tackles (34 solo), 15 TFL, 17 QB hits, AV 11
    • Ryan Anderson = 193 snaps (17.61%)
      • 14 tackles (11 solo), 1 TFL, 2 QB hits, AV 1

If your assertion is right and he was a backup to Kerrigan, there were plenty of snaps to be had (20-25% of total defensive snaps, depending on the year). Anderson just didn't do much of anything with them.

EDIT: BTW, those tackle numbers include his special teams plays. The snaps are just on defense.

It's hard to do much of anything if you're getting those kind of inconsistent snaps. You can't tell me that Anderson got consistent snaps or even knew he’d be in on certain packages like Galette did when he was here.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal that I won't call Anderson a bust anyways. This whole argument is totally being blown out of proportion. Just bc I won't hate a young player like the rest of you, who I don't feel has gotten a true chance to play meaningful snaps at his best position, does not mean that I’m calling him some good or great player.

I've clearly stated I agree that he's never going to be a great pass rusher. Yet, because I've seen him be stout vs the run and make game changing plus in college and stout vs the run some in the pros some will try to prove that I'm somehow wrong about that by stats that he doesn't have? Huh? 

Watch the guy! He stones RTs & TEs when they try to block him in the field regularly. He holds a very strong edge against the run. I don't need some stat to prove that, I've seen him do it.

Also, I can't call a player a bust when there's just no proof that he is or isn't one yet because he’s been stuck behind our best pass rusher since he was drafted.

I think calling a developing player who's stuck behind a great starter is very irresponsible. The term bust gets thrown around far too often amongst the media and fans, and often times it doesn't fit when describing the player. 

It just is what it is, and no one is changing my mind about it, so stop trying to.

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

I think he'd be better as a 3 down pass rusher in a 4-3 scheme. 

This.  Signing with another 3-4 team was a mistake IMO.  Packers will need to limit him to nickle packages.  He's not a good linebacker, he needs his hand in the dirt.  

Just now, lavar703 said:

I love the fact that Packers fans are arguing over how good Preston Smith is with fans that have watched every snap of his NFL career lol

Dude people have been quoting that stupid PFF statline for years on him.  He's not a good football player.  He just isn't. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Dude people have been quoting that stupid PFF statline for years on him.  He's not a good football player.  He just isn't. 

He looks the part. He just doesn’t have the explosion needed to be a pass rusher. He needs to thank the silly PFF obsession people have for getting him a big payday. 

Archived