Bears sign Mike Davis

beardown3231

On 3/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, beardown3231 said:

I agree that Henderson has that big play ability on tape but after his underwhelming workout I can't help but wonder if he was cruising due to the competition. I think Jacobs has that big play in him because he simply runs through people in the open field. Sanders had a great timed 40 but perhaps he plays slower.

This is the issue. There are a ton of IF's and no obvious game breaker in the draft.

This goes to my thinking that Pace may not see any back he feels is all that special or is willing to trade up for and simply lets one fall to him from a group he has ranked as being much the same in value to him.

I see a lot of indications Nagy is headed towards a RBBC approach and Davis could be a valuable part of that having the overall skills Nagy wants.

The key then is finding Howard's replacement and this draft may or may not have that guy.  He may still draft one to compete for a role but keeps Howard for now knowing he can look to trade him later if the rookie pans out.

I don't know what the 2020 RB class looks like but this one doesn't seem exceptional.  With two 2nd round picks next year it's possibly Pace will punt 'til then and simply ride with Howard, Davis, and a rookie whoever for 2019.

I'm not one who believes he needs to force the issue if the right guy isn't there.  He's done so well in rounds 2-5 why reach more than he has to?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We will have to trade up for Miles Sanders.

how comfortable are people with that scenario?

I wouldn't want to move up in this draft unless something crazy happens...way too much mid round talent...

If we had to move up for an RB I would go for Montgomery rather than Sanders and I like both.

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm comfortable if Pace and Nagy believe he's the right guy to replace Howard.

Me too, but I personally don’t see Sanders being a better prospect than Montgomery, who outside of Josh Jacobs is my guy as far as the draft eligible RB go. 

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 3:46 AM, soulman said:

Then what happen if Pace shocks us and doesn't even draft a RB deciding to ride with Howard and signing some UDFA guys to come in an compete with Mizzell and Nall who are both still under contract as the #4 back?

This actually seems to be most likely scenario in my mind...  everybody knows we want to draft a RB and the cupboard will be completely BARE come pick #87 

Reminds me of draft after Cutler trade where everybody knew we wanted a safety and FUDGE pakers snaked Morgan Burnett from us ... 

Hoping to have a guy like Davis break out, w Howard and Cohen already in fold, and then trying to get lucky w an UFA is about as good as Pace can do under circumstances ... vert smart management IMO

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We will have to trade up for Miles Sanders.

how comfortable are people with that scenario?

I agree that Sanders requires a trade up, and I dont mind the Forte comparisons at all, I mean we are talking about the charter franchise's possible 2nd best back of all time, so if I'm Sanders I take that and run with it all day long.  Interestingly enough Forte was also a guy who tested much better than expected at the combine (in fairness, that was quite possibly the fastest rb class ever.  It included Chris Johnson, Jamall Charles, and Run DMC, even the big bruiser backs like Stewart and Mendenhall ran in the 4.4s.  It's insane how great that class was, and the only one who even could be considered for the HOF is Forte)

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I agree that Sanders requires a trade up, and I dont mind the Forte comparisons at all, I mean we are talking about the charter franchise's possible 2nd best back of all time, so if I'm Sanders I take that and run with it all day long.  Interestingly enough Forte was also a guy who tested much better than expected at the combine (in fairness, that was quite possibly the fastest rb class ever.  It included Chris Johnson, Jamall Charles, and Run DMC, even the big bruiser backs like Stewart and Mendenhall ran in the 4.4s.  It's insane how great that class was, and the only one who even could be considered for the HOF is Forte)

Man i had such a hard on for the bears to draft Mendenhall that year.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Me too, but I personally don’t see Sanders being a better prospect than Montgomery, who outside of Josh Jacobs is my guy as far as the draft eligible RB go. 

Jacobs is probably as good as it gets as far as this draft goes and the drop off after him is noticeable.  Therein lies the problem.

Jacobs will go end of round one beginning of two at the latest and that's probably a fair ranking.  But then based on supply and demand RB hungry teams may begin to push other backs up a round or more ahead of where they might have gone in other drafts and over draft some guys.  I hope we aren't one of those teams.

If Sanders and Montgomery are the next highest rated backs it may require getting to the top ten in round 3 to get one of them.  If we can't use Howard to pull off a trade that by whatever combination of picks and swaps can get us there Pace may just lay out 'til another back he likes falls to him like he did when he took Howard.

Personally I'd say that if there's a hot OLB/Edge guy or CB on the board at #87 I'd almost prefer we go that route.  Even if we sign an OLB/Edge guy for a year we still need to add another rookie and CB can't be ignored either.  Along with OL those are positions we should be drafting every year IMHO.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Same. Mine goes Jacobs, Montgomery, Sanders for my top 3 backs that I'd want for this offense. 

I'd be fine with a trade up but would rather trade up for an EDGE or CB. I'm not a huge fan of any of the HBs in this class and think a 2nd or 3rd might be better reserved for next year's class in the long run. 

30 minutes ago, soulman said:

Jacobs is probably as good as it gets as far as this draft goes and the drop off after him is noticeable.  Therein lies the problem.

Jacobs will go end of round one beginning of two at the latest and that's probably a fair ranking.  But then based on supply and demand RB hungry teams may begin to push other backs up a round or more ahead of where they might have gone in other drafts and over draft some guys.  I hope we aren't one of those teams.

If Sanders and Montgomery are the next highest rated backs it may require getting to the top ten in round 3 to get one of them.  If we can't use Howard to pull off a trade that by whatever combination of picks and swaps can get us there Pace may just lay out 'til another back he likes falls to him like he did when he took Howard.

Personally I'd say that if there's a hot OLB/Edge guy or CB on the board at #87 I'd almost prefer we go that route.  Even if we sign an OLB/Edge guy for a year we still need to add another rookie and CB can't be ignored either.  Along with OL those are positions we should be drafting every year IMHO.

After watching a ton about Mike Davis the past several days I’m actually more intrigued by him than I was before. I have zero expectation that he’s gonna be Kareem Hunt, but he opens up some of the things in the offense Howard didn’t, and perhaps more importantly, there isn’t anything he does poorly. Were he to get all of Howard’s 250 carries this year I think he could very well be a 1100 yard rusher. I don’t think he’s going to get that many though. I’m expecting he gets 200-220, Cohen gets about 100 again and a rookie gets about 100 too. At that workload I can very easily see Davis getting between 900-1000 yards and catching 45 passes. All of that of course is dependent upon who our rookie is too. If we end up with Montgomery or Sanders I think they and Davis may get a more even split of the non-Cohen carries. 

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

After watching a ton about Mike Davis the past several days I’m actually more intrigued by him than I was before. I have zero expectation that he’s gonna be Kareem Hunt, but he opens up some of the things in the offense Howard didn’t, and perhaps more importantly, there isn’t anything he does poorly. Were he to get all of Howard’s 250 carries this year I think he could very well be a 1100 yard rusher. I don’t think he’s going to get that many though. I’m expecting he gets 200-220, Cohen gets about 100 again and a rookie gets about 100 too. At that workload I can very easily see Davis getting between 900-1000 yards and catching 45 passes. All of that of course is dependent upon who our rookie is too. If we end up with Montgomery or Sanders I think they and Davis may get a more even split of the non-Cohen carries. 

I don't think any of that challenges reality.

Davis has never been the principal ball carrier in an NFL offense save for 6 games back in 2017.  But he does have all of the traits of 3 down back so I can't see why over two seasons he won't be given a fair shot at it no matter who else he shares the backfield with.

We know Howard will be gone this year or next and we're looking to draft a guy to replace him.  But what if Davis is that guy already and the draftee is a faster more explosive back who replaces Davis in the supplemental role?  That possibility also exists in my head.

Pace is so good at keeping his hand disguised pre-draft how he's gonna draft and who he's gonna draft really does become a guessing game.  Often he and his guys have seen potential in players we haven't especially in the middle rounds and UDFA.

Bryce Love makes sense if he has clean medicals... had surgery in December and said his time-table has him being ready by mid Training Camp (I think that's a bit aggressive).

Bruce Anderson wasn't invited to the combine but I'm curious to see how he performs at his Pro Day.

Archived