Browns to sign DT Sheldon Richardson

zelbell

To soften the blow alittle....The Browns HAD to spend $44 Mil of the $56.5 Mil Carryover Cash or lose it. I GUARANTEE it's similar to Bitonios 1st 2 years of his insane guaranteed contract as it's 0 dead money after this year. Huge positive. Landrys guaranteed $36 Mil his 1st 2 years with $4.5 Mil the last 3 years. Huge Positive. 0 dead cap after the initial signing of Vernon for 2 years. So expect at least 1 more decent signing.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

That is way to costly IMO. Maybe if he falls but he is projecting b/w 5th-8th. Maybe if he falls out of the top10

That’s where I’m at. I’m not moving top 8 for him with that cost. If he were to slip around 12 though, why the heck not. He’d solidify our LB group on a rookie deal and you can then afford to resign Schobert quite easily. 

1 minute ago, nugpimpen said:

Its probably in reality a 2 year deal with an out at that point. Neither Myles nor Baker will need a deal done before then, so they could have given him 20 a year and I'd be un fazed by it.

And I'll feel the exact same tonight when we give Roby 12 a year lol. Tho I dont think hes that good.

After this signing of Richardson and with Vernon on the books next year without resigning Randall will be approximately $52 Mil....without carryover included. If the Browns hit $44 mil they will have minimum $12.5 for carryover next year on top of the $52. We're good. Depodesta is a contract genius. 

All signings have risk and this one has a lot of it.

Richardson is a "goldilocks" player; that is, everything has to be "just right" for him to be a productive member of the team.

During times of losing/adversity or when he's not utilized how he likes he's a serious locker room problem draining positivity and life by criticizing fellow players and coaches. He'll make public comments that are distractions.

He's been on his best behavior in terms of not smoking weed in ways that produce a positive test and cutback on some hus antics for one reason and one reason alone: He's been on 1 year deals over and over and over again.

No tram would trust him longterm. The question is now that he secured the bag Can we trust him  for 2years?? Im assuming there's an out then.

21Mil guaranteed is a ton for a player with reliability and availability issues.

The winning we'll do will hopefully keep tge goldilocks conditions necessary for Sheldon to thrive. I hope we have some gtd money voids if he gets suspended.

Talent-wise he's got some juice left and it affords us the ability to generate pocket push and inside pass rush, but fot similar money Id have rather signed Suh b/c of Richardson's suspension history.

Ultimately, I wonder if we'd have been better off putting that 21 million gtd elsewhere on a more reliable player at CB.

All in all... It's a solid signing.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Does the money really matter much? Genuine question as I don’t know much about the cap etc.

But I would’ve thought you could cut him after two years no problem. And until then, we’ve got a bunch of studs on rookie deals and we should just try to take advantage of that now.

When the music stops on the cap carry over musical chairs, we could be in serious trouble 3 years from now if we're not very very careful.

Via Spotrac

We're 14th in payroll but were 2nd/3rd in Adjusted Cap Space due to cap manipulation magic wand "carry over of cap," for 3 straight years. With no carry over with a 188 league mandated cap number we'd have been -3 million dollars over the cap (179 mil payroll + 12 mil dead money = 191 mil... 191 mil - 188 mil = - 3 mil.

B4 Richardson and Randall signing, based on what's already on the books we were projected to be 9th-7th in payroll in 2020 and 6th-4th in payroll in 2021.

With these signings and a few more we'll likely be 6th in 2020 and 3rd in 2021.

All owners eventually reduce carry over. The question is when do the Haslams?

The league most teams carry over was less than 8 mil. We've been carrying over a record 46 mil plus for 3 years giving us the illusion of tons of cap space.

When Baker and Myles and Denzel need to get paid if we dont keep up the insane carry over we'll have one of the worst cap situations in the league in 3 to 4 yrs.

That means we're inbour super bowl window actually right now and for the next 3 years.

After that, we'll have to have smartly stacked our contracts and minimized dead money so that we can pull off a roster reset that will set us back 2 years while Baker hopefullu carries us until we can get to the next new super bowl big winning window much like Seattle had to do with Russell Wilson.

21 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

All signings have risk and this one has a lot of it.

Richardson is a "goldilocks" player; that is, everything has to be "just right" for him to be a productive member of the team.

During times of losing/adversity or when he's not utilized how he likes he's a serious locker room problem draining positivity and life by criticizing fellow players and coaches. He'll make public comments that are distractions.

He's been on his best behavior in terms of not smoking weed in ways that produce a positive test and cutback on some hus antics for one reason and one reason alone: He's been on 1 year deals over and over and over again.

No tram would trust him longterm. The question is now that he secured the bag Can we trust him  for 2years?? Im assuming there's an out then.

21Mil guaranteed is a ton for a player with reliability and availability issues.

The winning we'll do will hopefully keep tge goldilocks conditions necessary for Sheldon to thrive. I hope we have some gtd money voids if he gets suspended.

Talent-wise he's got some juice left and it affords us the ability to generate pocket push and inside pass rush, but fot similar money Id have rather signed Suh b/c of Richardson's suspension history.

Ultimately, I wonder if we'd have been better off putting that 21 million gtd elsewhere on a more reliable player at CB.

All in all... It's a solid signing.

I'm with you on all of this, although I don't recall him being a problem since his days with the Jets.  I also would've preferred Suh, but you can't overlook being 28 versus 32.

Definitely a risk.  Still happy we signed him.

14 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

When the music stops on the cap carry over musical chairs, we could be in serious trouble 3 years from now if we're not very very careful.

Via Spotrac

We're 14th in payroll but were 2nd/3rd in Adjusted Cap Space due to cap manipulation magic wand "carry over of cap," for 3 straight years. With no carry over with a 188 league mandated cap number we'd have been -3 million dollars over the cap (179 mil payroll + 12 mil dead money = 191 mil... 191 mil - 188 mil = - 3 mil.

B4 Richardson and Randall signing, based on what's already on the books we were projected to be 9th-7th in payroll in 2020 and 6th-4th in payroll in 2021.

With these signings and a few more we'll likely be 6th in 2020 and 3rd in 2021.

All owners eventually reduce carry over. The question is when do the Haslams?

The league most teams carry over was less than 8 mil. We've been carrying over a record 46 mil plus for 3 years giving us the illusion of tons of cap space.

When Baker and Myles and Denzel need to get paid if we dont keep up the insane carry over we'll have one of the worst cap situations in the league in 3 to 4 yrs.

That means we're inbour super bowl window actually right now and for the next 3 years.

After that, we'll have to have smartly stacked our contracts and minimized dead money so that we can pull off a roster reset that will set us back 2 years while Baker hopefullu carries us until we can get to the next new super bowl big winning window much like Seattle had to do with Russell Wilson.

So I will say a few things to this.

1. I am looking at over the cap and it seems like right now we have 177 million in payroll + 16 million in dead money putting us at 193 being 5 million over.  So it means were FINALLY kicking into our carry over money.

2. Of that money, 16 million in dead money wont be there next year.  Randell has about 10 million coming off the books.  Drew Station (3.8), Greg Robinson (7), JC Tretter (7.25), Kindred (2), Ogbah (2.1), Higgins (2) all coming off the books.  All in all we would have about 132 million in cap liabilities.  assuming the salary cap is about 200 million that would give us about 68 million in cap space.

3. On top of that we have contracts we can get rid of including...Christ Hubbard (7.3 million saves 5 million), Christian Kirksey (10 million saves 7.75), Chris Smith (5 million saves 3.75), TJ Carrie (8 milion saves 6.3) Duke Johnson (5 million saves 3.6).

Right now it appears they are building up this team so we can draft and replace.  I see us drafting a 3-tech DT so we can replace Sheldon Richardson in 2 years. I see us drafting a DE so we can replace Olivier Vernon in a few years.  A player like Duke Johnson becomes movable with the signing of Kareem Hunt.  I see us drafting an O-Linemen to replace JC Tretter.  I see us drafting a CB and letting TJ Carrie go.

If we continue to sign players to short term contracts to fill immediate needs and have the ability to draft their replacements we will be in very good shape long term.

Look at last year as a great example.  We traded for a QB to fill that need, but we drafted one to replace him.  We signed 3 CB's to fill our starting need but drafted 1 to be a #1 starter.  W didn't need a OG but drafted one to replace Zeitler and look where that got us.  We signed the best free agent running back to a decent deal and drafted his replacement at the top of the second round.

The more I watch this front office the more I like what they are doing with contracts and with players.  If we continue to draft the best players available to us and replace players that aren't core players we need to keep around for a long time and re-sign the ones that are, we will be in great shape long term!  I trust Paul and John to have a plan for this!

I mean, is this that big of an overpay? I don't think it is. Probably slightly more than he's worth, but not that bad when you compare it to what other DTs are making and the types of contracts players have been receiving so far this offseason. Plus, it seems more like a deal that we can get out of after two years.

Richardson is a massive upgrade over Coley. And now this gives us even more freedom and flexibility in the draft. I still wouldn't rule out DL in the first round, but now we can truly go BPA.

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

So I will say a few things to this.

1. I am looking at over the cap and it seems like right now we have 177 million in payroll + 16 million in dead money putting us at 193 being 5 million over.  So it means were FINALLY kicking into our carry over money.

2. Of that money, 16 million in dead money wont be there next year.  Randell has about 10 million coming off the books.  Drew Station (3.8), Greg Robinson (7), JC Tretter (7.25), Kindred (2), Ogbah (2.1), Higgins (2) all coming off the books.  All in all we would have about 132 million in cap liabilities.  assuming the salary cap is about 200 million that would give us about 68 million in cap space.

3. On top of that we have contracts we can get rid of including...Christ Hubbard (7.3 million saves 5 million), Christian Kirksey (10 million saves 7.75), Chris Smith (5 million saves 3.75), TJ Carrie (8 milion saves 6.3) Duke Johnson (5 million saves 3.6).

Right now it appears they are building up this team so we can draft and replace.  I see us drafting a 3-tech DT so we can replace Sheldon Richardson in 2 years. I see us drafting a DE so we can replace Olivier Vernon in a few years.  A player like Duke Johnson becomes movable with the signing of Kareem Hunt.  I see us drafting an O-Linemen to replace JC Tretter.  I see us drafting a CB and letting TJ Carrie go.

If we continue to sign players to short term contracts to fill immediate needs and have the ability to draft their replacements we will be in very good shape long term.

Look at last year as a great example.  We traded for a QB to fill that need, but we drafted one to replace him.  We signed 3 CB's to fill our starting need but drafted 1 to be a #1 starter.  W didn't need a OG but drafted one to replace Zeitler and look where that got us.  We signed the best free agent running back to a decent deal and drafted his replacement at the top of the second round.

The more I watch this front office the more I like what they are doing with contracts and with players.  If we continue to draft the best players available to us and replace players that aren't core players we need to keep around for a long time and re-sign the ones that are, we will be in great shape long term!  I trust Paul and John to have a plan for this!

Well said.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I mean, is this that big of an overpay? I don't think it is. Probably slightly more than he's worth, but not that bad when you compare it to what other DTs are making and the types of contracts players have been receiving so far this offseason. Plus, it seems more like a deal that we can get out of after two years.

Richardson is a massive upgrade over Coley. And now this gives us even more freedom and flexibility in the draft. I still wouldn't rule out DL in the first round, but now we can truly go BPA.

Now that we have starters filled I would LOVE to draft Simmons in the second round.  Even trade up to get him.  Red-shirt him the first year, let him play in rotation with Richardson and Ogunjobi the following year, then replace Richardson the year after...

Archived