Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, Outpost31 said:

He’s above average.  It’s the truth.  I’m not saying he sucks, and above average is not a terrible thing.  

Bad, below average, average, above average, elite.  

Where else would you put him?

I'd have another tier in there called "good player" in between above average and elite. That's where I'd put Preston.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

I'd have another tier in there called "good player" in between above average and elite. That's where I'd put Preston.

That works I guess, but you gotta draw a line somewhere otherwise you’ve got 7 distinctions.  With only 64 starters, the more distinctions you add the closer you get to just ranking them.  

The Smiths have 25.5 sacks combined, which is more than any other Packers duo had in their respective regular season going back to 1982. White & Paup had 24 sacks in 1993. The pair of White and either Holliday or McKenzie also had 24 sacks in 1998.

After researching this, I don't blame Pettine for not giving Gary and Fack more snaps - the Smiths have been too hot to sub.

The trio of P & Z Smith & Kenny Clark has 31.5 sacks combined, behind only the 34 -sack White & Holliday & McKenzie group.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, Victor1124 said:

Possibly a contract similar to what Z Smith signed. 

Z had 8.5 sacks in his "breakout" season in BAL prior to signing with GB

Barrett just had 17.5, and should land a significantly bigger contract than Z's.

It's actually what makes the Z signing so good.  Gute signed him long term before Z hit his peak..

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Z had 8.5 sacks in his "breakout" season in BAL prior to signing with GB

Barrett just had 17.5, and should land a significantly bigger contract than Z's.

It's actually what makes the Z signing so good.  Gute signed him long term before Z hit his peak..

Gute said in his post-FA presser that all of Z, Preston, Amos and Turner had their best football in front of them. It’s classic GM speak, but in this case, with the arguable exception of perhaps Amos (who regardless fits our defense like a glove) it couldn’t have been more true. 

17 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Gute said in his post-FA presser that all of Z, Preston, Amos and Turner had their best football in front of them. It’s classic GM speak, but in this case, with the arguable exception of perhaps Amos (who regardless fits our defense like a glove) it couldn’t have been more true. 

Turner is also sorta questionable.