Bears sign Cordarrelle Patterson

beardown3231

unexpected and interesting.... but the dude is dumber than a box of rocks, and this is a fairly complex offense...  I love it for a return man, but yikes on trying to get him to learn the play book.

7 minutes ago, Epyon said:

unexpected and interesting.... but the dude is dumber than a box of rocks, and this is a fairly complex offense...  I love it for a return man, but yikes on trying to get him to learn the play book.

The Patriots have a pretty damn complex playbook too. He will have a defined role, likely won't be doing option routes based on the DBs leverage or zone concepts. 

5 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Well. Ummm. Yaaa.  I got nothing. I have no clue what we're doing.

Upgrading the KR position and the #4 receiver spot + a guy who can be a gimmick out of the backfield

I'm not sure what you people expected. They came into the offseason with little to no holes and they're plugging them with decent players in free agency, aka what good organizations do

Real novel stuff

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Upgrading the KR position and the #4 receiver spot + a guy who can be a gimmick out of the backfield

I'm not sure what you people expected. They came into the offseason with little to no holes and they're plugging them with decent players in free agency, aka what good organizations do

Real novel stuff

Exactly. Better receiver than Bellamy, may not be the coverage STer Bellamy was but is an elite returner (much harder to find and much more valuable), can play RB as well...

He backs up two positions and is one of the best at another. We aren't trying to force him into a 1 or 2 role at WR, so this is a great signing IMO. 

Love this signing. Basically a 1 year $5 million contract with option for a 2nd year. If he busts then you easily cut him next year with no cap ramifications.  Helps shore up the return game and gives Nagy multiple looks on offense. A true swiss army knife of a player. 

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

Well. Ummm. Yaaa.  I got nothing. I have no clue what we're doing.

It's not a bad signing, in my opinion. Reduces Cohen's time on kick returns, which is okay, but also reduces Cohen's usefulness to the team. Makes you wonder if they're going to be stupid and cut Wims, though. Puzzling stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think Cohen has anything to worry about...Garbiel on the other hand...

What you get with Patterson is an elite KR (where we were the worst in the league last year) as well as more potential pre-snap confusion from a personnel standpoint for the defense. The kickoff thing is huge IMO, but I’m more excited about the latter. 

For example, hypothetically with a personnel group in the huddle with Miller, ARob, Burton, Shaheen and Patterson on the field we could like up 5 wide or in a tight power run formation with 2 TE and A WR on one side of the line with Patterson in the backfield. The ideal defensive grouping for those formations is completely different, and until we break the huddle our opponent will be guessing. That’s an incredible advantage to have. 

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What? Patterson isn't going to hinder Gabriel's usage

If he’s going to play any kind of semi prominent role on offense he’s going to have to take reps from somebody. If not Gabriel then who do you think? 

Archived