Cowboys Reportedly Agree to Deal with Randall Cobb

flyingmonkey30

This kind of reminds me of when we let Jason Hatcher walk and signed Henry Melton to replace him. We got the "better player" (but for health) on a much better contract, but it's probably not likely we'll actually get better production than the predecessor and will likely end up relying on other players at his position.

That said, Melton never really had a chance to beat Hatcher's 11 sacks from the year before, which was fluky as hell, whereas Cobb could easily top Beasley's 741 yards from scrimmage last year. It's a super solid signing. As Matts said the raw talent upgrade we've made at WR from 6 months ago to now is staggering

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

This kind of reminds me of when we let Jason Hatcher walk and signed Henry Melton to replace him. We got the "better player" (but for health) on a much better contract, but it's probably not likely we'll actually get better production than the predecessor and will likely end up relying on other players at his position.

That said, Melton never really had a chance to beat Hatcher's 11 sacks from the year before, which was fluky as hell, whereas Cobb could easily top Beasley's 741 yards from scrimmage last year. It's a super solid signing. As Matts said the raw talent upgrade we've made at WR from 6 months ago to now is staggering

I think you have more flexibility with Cobb. He is best suited in the slot like Beasley however he can play on the outside as well, where Beasley was extremely limited.

16 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:
6 hours ago, D82 said:

If you'd told me we'd end up with Cobb last year I would have laughed at you. 

If he's healthy...Cooper, Gallup and Cobb give us a really nice threesome at wide receiver.

?????  that gave me a good laugh at work 

I almost called him out on that earlier. Normal people call it a trio. Des calls it a mengage a trois.

If we were in the market for guys that haven't done anything since 2014 I'd rather have Dez. 

Post 2014:

Dez - 38 games // 2,035 yards // 17 TDs

Cobb - 53 games // 2,475 yards // 16 TDs

Two different WRs that will play very different roles but if Dez is washed up because of his post 2014 totals then Cobb is already dried up. 

Hard not to wonder if Cobb would have ever been great without ARod. Dak isn't going to create some of those opportunities that Rodgers did. I think Cobb is on his down hill slope, but he looks great on paper.

Now sign Dez and we can have the best WR Corp ever on paper.

At least they did something. Good job Kellen Moore. I give you the credit.

Amari Cooper, Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb, Michael Gallup, Allen Hurns, Tavon Austin....

That would be one bad *** group on paper... 3 were first rounders. Four 1,000 yard WRs. A 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder, and Allen Hurns who has been ranked by his peers as an NFL top 100 before.

Maybe not on the field as much. But paper champions.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Cobb has averaged 46 ypg and a TD every 3.4 games since 2014. 

Dez, who has been worthless since 2014, has averaged 54 ypg and a TD every 2.3 games since.

👎

Dez Bryant turned down a 3 year 20 something million dollar deal from the Ravens last off-season.

Randall Cobb just signed for 1 year, 5 million. 

Dez ruptured his Achilles last season.

Randall Cobb had issues with a pulled hamstring.

It's not hard to see why the team might want one over the other. Take off the 88 jersey- I know it's hard. I've been staring at my 11 wondering how to live my life, but it's slowly getting easier. 

3 hours ago, Ace5 said:

Dez Bryant turned down a 3 year 20 something million dollar deal from the Ravens last off-season.

Randall Cobb just signed for 1 year, 5 million. 

Dez ruptured his Achilles last season.

Randall Cobb had issues with a pulled hamstring.

It's not hard to see why the team might want one over the other. Take off the 88 jersey- I know it's hard. I've been staring at my 11 wondering how to live my life, but it's slowly getting easier. 

First, Your 11 jersey doesn't even belong in the same sentence as any of the 88s. He has a career high 833 yards. Dez got fired and missed an entire season and has been more productive post 2014 than Beasley.

37 YPG and a TD every 4 games post 2014 is worse than Cobb. We'll be okay without it.

Second, Dez eventually signed a 1 year, $1.25M contract. 

7 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Cobb has averaged 46 ypg and a TD every 3.4 games since 2014. 

Dez, who has been worthless since 2014, has averaged 54 ypg and a TD every 2.3 games since.

👎

Dez was the teams only real WR threat. Cobb was a utility dude in an offense that had a bunch of weapons. 

Attitude also comes into play.

Also, no one is arguing Cobb is more talented.

Archived