Ravens re-sign QB Robert Griffin III

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I am surprised how many think Lamar Jackson can't improve. Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Josh Allen was somewhat expected to start last year, the Ravens coaching staff created a new offense during a bye week to suit Lamar Jackson.

Somehow people don't think changes and improvement applies to Lamar Jackson, although that is the case for the rest of the QB's.

It makes people's lives simpler to think he and RG3 are the same person. RG3 never improved from his rookie season, ergo Lamar Jackson has peaked. 

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude rushed 147 times for 695 yards.  As a Redskins fan, I think I've seen a rookie running QB come in, have a miraculous first season and then crash and burn.  

http://fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2018&GameWeek=&PosID=10&LeagueID=1&order_by=RuAtt&sort_order=DESC 

Dude rushed more than any QB in the NFL last year by a wide margin.  

I'm not saying he was bad in the pocket, my point was that he needs to stay in it or he's going to end up on IR.  

Oh, and lets wait to see what his QB rating looks like when the defense isn't threatened by him running so much.  

His rushes were largely designed play calls, not scrambles. Lamar is actually pretty decent from the pocket, his struggles largely came outside the pocket, which is why when someone says "He needs to learn how to play from the pocket" it's an immediate tell that they've seen maybe one full game of Lamar Jackson tape.

As for the bolded, is that serious? When's that gonna happen? Is Lamar suddenly going to not be the most athletic QB in the NFL next year?

Lamar Jackson can almost certainly improve, but he needs to. If he can improve his accuracy, he'll become braver throwing the ball. It's not normal for a QB to rush the ball 46% of the time. He has more career rushing yards than Rivers does, he's only been a starter for half a season and the other has been a starter for well over a decade. xD

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It makes people's lives simpler to think he and RG3 are the same person. RG3 never improved from his rookie season, ergo Lamar Jackson has peaked. 

RGiii was great as a rookie. It was a little gimmicky and he had receivers open all of the time but because of that (and his running ability) he had great success passing. Jackson isn't there yet. Obviously everything changes when you don't have the ability to run but that time hasn't come for Jackson yet so even if he isn't a long term answer he can be a short term solution. Whether he not he can throw from the pocket without being a real threat to run is different than throwing from the pocket when teams are playing for the run. We just won't know what he can do until the time comes that he has to do it.

3 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Lamar Jackson can almost certainly improve, but he needs to. If he can improve his accuracy, he'll become braver throwing the ball. It's not normal for a QB to rush the ball 46% of the time. He has more career rushing yards than Rivers does, he's only been a starter for half a season and the other has been a starter for well over a decade. xD

People need to remember two things:

1) The Ravens weren't planning on Lamar playing last year. They recognized how raw he was and planned to sit him for a year. Everything we got from Lamar last year was just a bonus and wasn't supposed to happen.

2) The Ravens literally had ONE WEEK to install an entire offense. That's the result we got - the 46% rushing is a result of that. The coaching staff has been adamant that's not going to continue and it's not sustainable.

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People need to remember two things:

1) The Ravens weren't planning on Lamar playing last year. They recognized how raw he was and planned to sit him for a year. Everything we got from Lamar last year was just a bonus and wasn't supposed to happen.

2) The Ravens literally had ONE WEEK to install an entire offense. That's the result we got - the 46% rushing is a result of that. The coaching staff has been adamant that's not going to continue and it's not sustainable.

Well I think he played in every game so they definitely planned to play him. As far as starting him sure, the plan was to sit him but he threw at least one pass in 5 games before he started and had like 30 carries so it wasn't like there wasn't a playbook for him. I wouldn't expect 2019's playbook to look too much different. He probably has to run to have success that the team had. They could take a chance on him just having a few designed runs per game but that is a big gamble.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, Josepho said:

Lamar obviously sucked in that playoff game, but Bradley/Lynn also absolutely took Harbaugh/Mornhinweg to the woodshed and apparently the Chargers knew around 65% of the plays the Ravens were going to run based on the positioning of Ronnie Stanley's feet.

Lamar is also hardly the 1st QB to have a rough playoff debut.

He's also the youngest QB to start a playoff game ever, so maybe he should be given a little slack or runway for improvement.

20 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I think he played in every game so they definitely planned to play him. As far as starting him sure, the plan was to sit him but he threw at least one pass in 5 games before he started and had like 30 carries so it wasn't like there wasn't a playbook for him. I wouldn't expect 2019's playbook to look too much different. He probably has to run to have success that the team had. They could take a chance on him just having a few designed runs per game but that is a big gamble.

They played him in packages as a "weapon", not as a QB though. There wasn't a full playbook for him at all. There was specific packages which eventually turned into a "full" offense after the bye week, but that's it. Expecting the Ravens to build an entire offense in a week is ludicrous.

I think teams will try much harder and be more successful at stopping our run packages next year, but it'll open things up for Lamar in the passing game, especially to the TE's and then we'll get a better sense of how much he's progressed as a passer.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They played him in packages as a "weapon", not as a QB though. There wasn't a full playbook for him at all. There was specific packages which eventually turned into a "full" offense after the bye week, but that's it. Expecting the Ravens to build an entire offense in a week is ludicrous.

I think teams will try much harder and be more successful at stopping our run packages next year, but it'll open things up for Lamar in the passing game, especially to the TE's and then we'll get a better sense of how much he's progressed as a passer.

No, when he isn't able to open up things in the passing game with his threat to run we'll get a better sense of how he has progressed as a passer. Maybe he'll always be able to run and stay healthy and we'll never know but to judge him on his passing alone is impossible until the time comes that he has to do it. Same is true with all running QBs. Vick, Young (Steve, early NFL career), Wilson, Cunningham (early career),  etc... It is a great advantage to be a dual threat QB. They have an easier road because of that which is why it is such an asset.

Archived