S George IIoka signed

WizardHawk

I wanted Iloka last year when the Bengals let him go. Not sure why we want him now but didn't want him when he was a year younger.

BUT 

This means that we won't have Jeff Heath penciled in as a day 1 starter for the first time in a few years. I like it.

Not sure how to feel. On one hand Iloka this guy can hit over the middle and stop the run, but on the other he struggles in space and will give up big plays because he lacks top end speed. I wanted Berry, but his price might still be too high. I'm curious to see how much he signs for because I think he was a risk worth taking. 

All in all, I'm happy that Jeff Heath is not starting at safety anymore. 

16 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Not sure how to feel. On one hand Iloka this guy can hit over the middle and stop the run, but on the other he struggles in space and will give up big plays because he lacks top end speed. I wanted Berry, but his price might still be too high. I'm curious to see how much he signs for because I think he was a risk worth taking. 

All in all, I'm happy that Jeff Heath is not starting at safety anymore. 

If Iloka is coming in to play SS, then he won’t be playing in coverage all that much. He’ll be in the box most of the time.

I don’t know him that well. But he from what I’ve seen better in the box area. Might not be a upgrade on deep coverage then heath   Still gives us experience.  And he will be playing for a coordinator that is known for getting the best out of players including the secondary so might see him improve with us

20 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

So what are the numbers? 

I’m guessing close to the vet minimum with little to no guarantees- nothing that assures him a roster spot, much less a starting job.

I like Iloka, but I wouldn’t be shocked if this ends up being a situation like Deonte Thompson last year where we end up cutting him midseason to get back a comp pick. I’m sure we still plan on drafting someone given that 5 of our Top 8 DBs are on one-year deals.

The Cowboys signed George Iloka to a one-year, minimum salary benefit contract that will count $735,000 against the cap. He will make a $930,000 base salary and $90,000 in bonus money. Of the base salary, $210,000 is guaranteed.

per todd archer

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

The Cowboys signed George Iloka to a one-year, minimum salary benefit contract that will count $735,000 against the cap. He will make a $930,000 base salary and $90,000 in bonus money. Of the base salary, $210,000 is guaranteed.

per todd archer

I think that contract puts him below the threshold to count in the comp pick formula. If not he could get Deonte Thompson’d

Archived