The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Same issue as about 98% of all QBs I've ever seen. Watch the Superbowls that the great Tom Brady has been on the losing side in, one thing the D does is pressure him and he's the consensus best there's ever been.........take the flavour of the month Desaean Watson and watch the Ravens pressure and hit him and make him look hesitant and clueless. Aaron Rodgers against the Chargers, Rivers against us and so on.......

Honestly the only guys I've seen that can thrive under pressure regularly are Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cunningham and Steve Young (there may be one or two more that I forget like Doug Flutie) and I've been watching since the 80s. I don't think anyone , anywhere on this board is saying Carr is elite or doesn't have some issues, all QBs do. If we can protect him well and provide some semblance of targets he plays well. It would be similar with most good QBs. In fact he's playing well despite having probably the worst WR core in the NFL. 

No one is going to the extreme in defending Carr that I can see and no-one has said that he has great pocket awareness or footwork and most agree he should run more and try and extend plays, hyperbole only seems to be used when trying to criticise him, if he plays well it's all on the other 10 and supreme protection, if he plays poorly it's all Carr seems to be the de facto take. One of the reasons the stats for the OL look so good is that the gameplan (Gruden and Olsen take a bow) and Carr are getting the ball out quick and staying ahead of the chains giving us good 3rd down opportunities. Just like 2016.

Plenty worse QBs than Carr have competed in or won a Superbowl but no teams of the 2019 Raiders standard have.  

Very well said.  I couldn't agree more as this is what I have been saying all along. 

If you pressure almost any QB they will underperform. As he points out Russell Wilson, Rogers, Young can all extend plays with their legs when the pocket breaks down which makes them more efficient in those circumstances.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Did you miss the last two seasons where we went 10-22 and he played like a below-average QB?

You realize there are 22 starters on each team. This isn't the NBA. Judging an individuals ability based on wins and losses in football and sophomoric. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

You realize there are 22 starters on each team. This isn't the NBA. Judging an individuals ability based on wins and losses in football and sophomoric. 

It is a weak argument. Look who he was playing with. 0 defense, at times bordering on worst in league history. Nobody at the skill positions. And for a bit there even his trusty Oline turned average to below average. You have to give a QB someone or something to work with. Even Brady has had Belichick, always defense, at times very good to great skill players (sometimes not), good Olines. Brees has always had great skill players to work with, Sean Payton. Manning had amazing receivers, runners, a consistent and solid system. At Denver he had an absolute  killer defense. And no, those QBs didn't do everything to make those guys look better. Those guys, units, coaches also have and had merits of their own.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His individual numbers weren't great either though. 

It's not about the numbers. It's about context and continuity in a ******* system. If you can't understand that and see his growth on the field, I literally have no reason to continue this conversation.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Did you miss the last two seasons where we went 10-22 and he played like a below-average QB?

This is a ******* kindergarden argument. Did you see the team we were fielding? It's casual narratives like this that make me want to blast my head off when talking to other Raiders fans online.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's not about the numbers. It's about context and continuity in a ******* system. If you can't understand that and see his growth on the field, I literally have no reason to continue this conversation.

This is a ******* kindergarden argument. Did you see the team we were fielding? It's casual narratives like this that make me want to blast my head off when talking to other Raiders fans online.

This is why Im done with this conversation. He gets no credit when playing with a crappy roster, instead blamed for it. Then the roster improves some and that's the only reason he's "average".

Total lack of understanding and waste of time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

His individual numbers weren't great either though. 

Yeah his numbers are going to be bad when he was playing next to XFL players not to mention he looked UNCOMFORTABLE in the system, and lacked confidence in the players around him to do their job.

2019 Derek Carr, in regards to QB Evaluation points, is top 5 currently in the league, including all the old timers still playing. For the remainder of this season ARod and Russ are the are only QB I would want to lead my franchise instead of Carr.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think this has been Carr's best year of his career. He's not a top-flight, elite quarterback though. He's an above-average player that can thrive if he has the right pieces around him. 

1 minute ago, OG_C2X said:

2019 Derek Carr, in regards to QB Evaluation points, is top 5 currently in the league, including all the old timers still playing. For the remainder of this season ARod and Russ are the are only QB I would want to lead my franchise instead of Carr.

You would take Derek Carr over Patrick Mahomes? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think this has been Carr's best year of his career. He's not a top-flight, elite quarterback though. He's an above-average player that can thrive if he has the right pieces around him. 

You are flat out WRONG. Carr is an ELITE QB. There is NOTHING he can't do under Center. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You would take Derek Carr over Patrick Mahomes? 

In a heartbeat. Watson and Jackson too. 

Flash doesn't do it for me. Mahomes makes some of the worst reads from a QB I have ever broken down. I said he would be a bust coming out, said he set the KC franchise back 8 years, so after last year I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I missed. What I discovered is no one had an easy job at QB, in the history of the NFL then Mahomes did in 2018, of his 50 TD's, I think I noted less then 7 I would credit to Mahomes making the play. He is better then I projected definitely. And won't become the next VY, RG3, Kaep like I said he would. I think he will stick around. Get hurt and fizzle out after an 8 year career. 

He is more arrogant of a passer then Favre with a fraction of the talent. He is WILDLY inaccurate. Without Andy Reid Scheming plays getting  Kelce and Tyreek wide open, or using Tyreek and Kelce as decoys to Scheme someone else WIDE open. He would have more INT then TDs.

Edited by OG_C2X