The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has been balling with very limited talent around him. Why couldn't he have done the same in our offense last year? 

Kyler Murray was the rightful #1 pick, he looks fantastic. If Jacobs gets injured, he’s a lock for OROY. I wouldn’t trust OGX scouting a QB as far as I could throw him. 

Cards will be special next season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but if you give him a top flight drafted WR and the defense improves, sky's the limit for this team.

If the Raiders make the playoffs he’ll be an MVP candidate this year.  He won’t win but will be in the discussion.

13 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

You are flat out WRONG. Carr is an ELITE QB. There is NOTHING he can't do under Center. 

Carr is not an Elite QB. There are only like 3-4 guys in the league that are "elite" right now. Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and maybe Brees but fading.

Brady is no longer elite. Watson isn't there yet but growing.

• Like 2

Murray is a straight up stud for all those who tried to say he was going to bust. 

Gruden loved him and we are seeing why. I'd argue that with Murray in his offense right now it'd be on another level. His feel for the game is exceptional. Such a great arm talent and ability to play outside structure. 

• Like 1

I’ll admit i am surprised by Murray. I still don’t think he’ll last as long in the NFL because I’m not a believer of mobile QBs long term. 

On Carr since this is his thread and all. I think his small ball mentality has held him back since his 2016 season. He certainly has all the tools but he hasn’t had that mamba mentality he used to. For me to put him in the elite category he’s got to become a guy who will stomp teams out. Slowly he’s changing that narrative. 

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Murray is a straight up stud for all those who tried to say he was going to bust. 

Gruden loved him and we are seeing why. I'd argue that with Murray in his offense right now it'd be on another level. His feel for the game is exceptional. Such a great arm talent and ability to play outside structure. 

Slow your roll is not doing that good.  Baker had a better year and look at him now.

13 minutes ago, Totty said:

Not good under pressure.  🙄

He gets what is known as happy feet to the scouting world (this is a huge reason Carr and Jimmy were 2nd Round Picks and not Top 10, you can look at any of their scouting reports) when his line is not Top 5 in the league and allowing pressure throughout the game. When his line is solid and only allows a pressure here and there, it does not effect mindset. It’s actually a rare trait and I don’t wanna hear the “Every QB sucks under pressure” argument. If Carr consistently gets under pressure (not even consistent, like average amount of pressure) his mindset goes into a completely scared style of football 

Carrs Pocket Presence is pretty average to slightly above average. If you are gonna sit here and tell me his Pocket Presence is really good, we have a problem. It’s not. Which isn’t a bad thing. His arm, accuracy, and defensive reads have been money this year. 

Edited by BayRaider

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Carr is not an Elite QB. There are only like 3-4 guys in the league that are "elite" right now. Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and maybe Brees but fading.

Brady is no longer elite. Watson isn't there yet but growing.

I'm a Carr fan and even I won't say he's elite. I'm not sure he has the tools to be "elite", as that distinction is (supposed to be) rare and attained over time. Outside of the rare exceptions (Mahomes), very few become truly elite early on imo. The term is thrown around way too often and too early these days. 

That said, I don't think that non-elite QBs are bad, and I put Carr somewhere in the group that hosts Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Trent Green, etc. Guys you can win with, who probably should have had at least 1 ring, but were never "elite". It isn't bad company, nor is it a sleight. 

For the most part, teams luck into elite QBs. If you need one to win games, you don't just have a QB problem, you have a team problem. It's why Matt Moore and (insert Patriots backup here) have had success filling in for clear cut top 5 QBs over time- the team was already good, just elevated by their elite QB to absurdity. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He was extremely conservative start to finish. 

Carr was the only player trending Top 10 earlier on Twitter, and not for good reasons...

He was pressured quite a bit. If we had a balanced gameplan and could run, we would have had more manageable gameplans, which in turn would mean better pockets and more chances for chunk plays. The game was out of reach pretty fast. If we had one of the 2020 WRs right now, I still would have felt like we could come back. But right now the team is too 1 dimensional. It's a "1 possession" team. If we're ever down by more than 10, it's over.