The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Talked about it in the game day thread the last 2 weeks about Carr forcing it to Hunter in 3rd down. Watch this play where Hunter takes the hit. Watch the CB jumps Hunter's route as Carr's eyes are staring him down.  He has Zay wide open past the sticks. 

This frustrates me with Carr at times. He locks in certain targets in certain situations. Teams have gotten keen on him looking for Renfro on 3rd down. He leads right into a hit here. And threw a pick against Cincy last week trying to force it.

Yeah it’s weird especially because I wouldn’t say Renfro is that money on third downs. But who knows maybe him being out of the lineup this will force Carr to look elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Talked about it in the game day thread the last 2 weeks about Carr forcing it to Hunter in 3rd down. Watch this play where Hunter takes the hit. Watch the CB jumps Hunter's route as Carr's eyes are staring him down.  He has Zay wide open past the sticks. 

This frustrates me with Carr at times. He locks in certain targets in certain situations. Teams have gotten keen on him looking for Renfro on 3rd down. He leads right into a hit here. And threw a pick against Cincy last week trying to force it.

He threw a few hospital balls Sunday to be frank.( Hes not the only one to ever throw one) and it’s not the reason the team lost 

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

He threw a few hospital balls Sunday to be frank.( Hes not the only one to ever throw one) and it’s not the reason the team lost 

Didn't say he was the only one or that was that was the reason. Simple pointing out that he's become fixated on Renfro lately. He needs to see the field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Didn't say he was the only one or that was that was the reason. Simple pointing out that he's become fixated on Renfro lately. He needs to see the field. 

My only argument would be that that was the play call.  We all know Carr can read defenses and does it well, so my guess is that was a designed play to go to Renfrow because he didn't even bother looking anywhere else.  You could say he should have done a better job looking guys off though.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ugh. Carr and his tendencies/pre determined throws have always annoyed me. Zay wide open for 1st and Goal. 

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Hard to tell so far away from the field but if Carr tries to throw it to Jones, it looks like he has to put air under that throw, as the CB is between him and the WR, which means the safety could have time to get there.

Looks like the safety is trying to bait Carr into throwing it there to me, he's just waiting for the ball to head that way.

No doubt Carr misses a few open throws here and there, Dak and Brady looked awful in their game too though and the superb Russell Wilson missed a wide open TE in the endzone that I could honestly have hit so it's not exclusive to us or Carr! If you want to you can make gifs like this of any QB pretty much mist games.

No way the safety gets there if Carr gets it to him at the 12 yard line or so. He probaly tackles Zay at the 7-8 yard line. 

Plus the main issue here is he only makes two reads if you look at his head movement. Waller then stares down Renfrow. Never ever looked at Zay. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I said this during the game.  we have been running the same game plan, route concepts, and alignments for weeks.  The Jets figured it out and gave the league a blueprint for how to stop us.  Now it is time for Gruden to earn his money and adapt.  He did a good job of it earlier when teams started taking Waller away.  It is very important that Gruden does a good job because our talent level forces us to scheme the players open.  It is a blessing that Renfrow is out because it forces their hand to change this week and not wait to see if others in the league got the memo.  Carr is now going to have to grasp another aspect of Gruden's offense and style to adapt.  Next year if Carr does a good job through the end of the year with adapting we will be able to hit teams from some many directions if everyone is healthy that we will finally see what this offense is capable of.  I was really surprised at how well we have played this year and just wanted to see improvement.  I have already seen more than I expected so I am happy.  Unfortunately I think this also points to another year of low risk draft picks because I believe Gruden and Mayock are going to want high floor low risk rookies that are not super athletes but can grasp the O quickly.  It worked this yer so I will be less critical if it happens again but  believe this year would be a great opportunity to swing for the fences but what do I know.

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Looks like the safety is trying to bait Carr into throwing it there to me, he's just waiting for the ball to head that way.

No doubt Carr misses a few open throws here and there, Dak and Brady looked awful in their game too though and the superb Russell Wilson missed a wide open TE in the endzone that I could honestly have hit so it's not exclusive to us or Carr! If you want to you can make gifs like this of any QB pretty much mist games.

I agree that it looks like the entire secondary was reading that play and they had set that up on purpose.  My issue with Carr is he is starting to set-up his teammates to get hit.  Expect to see more dropped balls if the receivers know they are going to the well to often.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree that it looks like the entire secondary was reading that play and they had set that up on purpose.  My issue with Carr is he is starting to set-up his teammates to get hit.  Expect to see more dropped balls if the receivers know they are going to the well to often.

TW was wide open when he dropped his ball. This is the NFL it’s gonna be tight coverage, you’re gonna get hit, you gotta catch the rock. Everyone needs to be accountable. 

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

TW was wide open when he dropped his ball. This is the NFL it’s gonna be tight coverage, you’re gonna get hit, you gotta catch the rock. Everyone needs to be accountable. 

I am not saying WRs are not to blame also but your drop rate increases when you start hearing footsteps.  If Carr stares down his receivers, Gruden is predictable, and Carr keeps floating his passes it is a recipe for the receivers needing rib protectors and growing alligator arms.  Just like in boxing, if you go to the body enough the legs tire and the arms start to drop.  The human body can only take so much punishment before it starts to protect itself.