The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

On 11/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, raidr4life said:

I thought it was the dumbest move ever and Downing was no wonder kid.

+1 to this, if you are going to get rid of an OC that has the offense humming (from memory we were #6 offense) you better be sure the replacement is a revolutionary thinker than can change the whole dynamic of your team (in a good way). After years of sucking we got an OC that was moving the ball then we got rid. Crazy stuff.

27 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

+1 to this, if you are going to get rid of an OC that has the offense humming (from memory we were #6 offense) you better be sure the replacement is a revolutionary thinker than can change the whole dynamic of your team (in a good way). After years of sucking we got an OC that was moving the ball then we got rid. Crazy stuff.

They didn't get rid of him, they just didn't renew his contract. Secondly, everyone bought into Downing at the time. Hindsight was very 20/20 on this. Downing and Carr were close, that's why you don't let you QB pick his play caller.

Carr's best years 2016 - with Musgrave and 2019 - with Gruden. The correlation between them. Both guys demand things be ran a certain way and the QB conform to the system. Carr is better when more is demanded of him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr's best years 2016 - with Musgrave and 2019 - with Gruden. The correlation between them. Both guys demand things be ran a certain way and the QB conform to the system. Carr is better when more is demanded of him.

I would say the correlation is it was/is the 2nd year in the same system for Carr.

Going back to the previous point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They didn't get rid of him, they just didn't renew his contract. Secondly, everyone bought into Downing at the time. Hindsight was very 20/20 on this. Downing and Carr were close, that's why you don't let you QB pick his play caller.

Nobody bought into Downing everybody thought it was dumb the only one who bought in was Del Rio. 

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Nobody bought into Downing everybody thought it was dumb the only one who bought in was Del Rio. 

That's Cap lol. Alot of us were "Down with Downing." There were alot of us who hated on Musgrave and wanted him gone because of his propensity to go ultra vanilla in 2nd halves. Downing looked like a young, bright and lively guy to pair with DC. They were best buddies. It made sense.

But man was he awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

There were alot of us who hated on Musgrave and wanted him gone because of his propensity to go ultra vanilla in 2nd halves. Downing looked like a young, bright and lively guy to pair with DC. They were best buddies. It made sense.

But man was he awful.

This is what I remember. Didn’t expect the drop off from hype to reality was as steep as it was with Downing. He would have gotten OC job and if Carr sucked under Musgrave then we’d be saying it’s because we lost Downing. Gee maybe it was an off year because of the injury and hype and we just fell short as a team. Blame to go around but how did KNJ keep his job as long as he did?!?

7 days is a lot of time to dwell and talk about things, especially after such a poor loss. Yes Carr deserves some initial criticism as it was a really poor game on his part but I was dead serious he gets a pass because of his season overall. So I think the criticism this week spiraled a bit too much out of control. Carr has been a fringe Top 10 QB this season. 

However, Chiefs game he isn’t getting a pass. He needs to get that Chief monkey off his back. Winning is a team game and not too realistic this week anyways. I just want Carr to keep us in this game, not get blown out, don’t settle for robot throws like throwing for 3 yards to Waller on 3rd and 7, improvise, don’t turn the ball over, and just look competitive. Show us some promise against KC and not look like a lost cause is what I ask. Their defense isn’t even good. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 5:18 PM, big_palooka said:

I agree with your Gruden / Musgrave comment and is what I want to see in any coaching staff.

Getting rid of and not renewing are kind of the same thing, the point is we could have had Musgrave if we wanted and didn't. Obviously when Downing was appointed I hoped he was some genius and him and Carr were going to re-write the book of football (and probably said positive things to convince my self this was the case), though I didn't "buy it" at the time, after years of wandering in the darkness, we had something to feel good about and then decided to dismantle it all on the promise of an unproven play caller.