The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

So I'm not sure whether the Honey Badger comments are suggesting a Gruden tendency Carr tendency, or both. Reading the comments a second time, it sounds more like a Carr tendency. Watching on redzone I don't get to look at the plays close enough. Are we only running deep routes out of certain formations, or is Carr only looking for them in certain formations?

Gruden clearly does need to switch things up but I have more faith that he will than I do in Carr ever having the composure to win in KC, which we are going to have to do in order to have any hope at being a playoff contender. I hate losing to KC so much. Playcalling could be better, receivers could be better, but as I stated earlier, we've struggled to produce consistently on offense for years, including 2016. Carr has been the only common factor other than Hudson and Jackson. Hudson is a warrior and even though Gabe has been disappointing, you can't blame it all on him 

My biggest problem with carr is that he doesn’t make his teammates better. The great qb’s do that, and in a salary cap league you cant win with a guy who can’t elevate anyone’s play

look at deshaun right now. Mediocre line, mediocre tight end, no run game. All he has is hopkins and he’s playing at an mvp level

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I haven't had any such narrative and defended Carr for the majority of his career. I don't need to push a narrative, you can watch him play. On his best days, he manages the game. On his worst, he throw key INTs that sink his team. 

Really? Did you make the clip? Come on.

It was a terrible game and Carr played poorly. Nothing I can defend him on. However, I'm not going to give into my emotions on a week to week basis. 

Some of you guys are ready to ride into Vegas with him when we win and cut him tomorrow when we lose. It's just not realistic from either extreme. 

I want more from Carr and this team, but they've already exceeded expectations for most of us. I thought they would be in the 6-10 to 10-6 range before the season. Think about that. That was with AB, JJ Nelson, Ryan Grant, Abrams, Burfict, Conley, Key, Lee, Joseph, etc.

No one wanted to see the mess that was today, but no one should've been expecting to win that game at any point beforehand.

As for Carr and KC/cold weather stats, they're obviously not good. However, has he ever gone into one of those games as the favorite and blown the game? Has KC not been a playoff team? 

Did Dolphins fans expect to go into Foxborough in December and win with Tannehill? If anything, there's your cautionary tale. Dump a solid QB that you failed to help as an organization and watch him go have success with a better team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, true2form said:

It was a terrible game and Carr played poorly. Nothing I can defend him on. However, I'm not going to give into my emotions on a week to week basis. 

Some of you guys are ready to ride into Vegas with him when we win and cut him tomorrow when we lose. It's just not realistic from either extreme. 

I want more from Carr and this team, but they've already exceeded expectations for most of us. I thought they would be in the 6-10 to 10-6 range before the season. Think about that. That was with AB, JJ Nelson, Ryan Grant, Abrams, Burfict, Conley, Key, Lee, Joseph, etc.

No one wanted to see the mess that was today, but no one should've been expecting to win that game at any point beforehand.

As for Carr and KC/cold weather stats, they're obviously not good. However, has he ever gone into one of those games as the favorite and blown the game? Has KC not been a playoff team? 

Did Dolphins fans expect to go into Foxborough in December and win with Tannehill? If anything, there's your cautionary tale. Dump a solid QB that you failed to help as an organization and watch him go have success with a better team.

What's realistic is not letting his few wins erase the fact that he's not franchise material.Yes people are guilty of forgiving him when he has a once in a blue moon good game. The Detroit Lions with a 3rd string QB could manage more offense, the Steelers on their 3rd QB, 2nd or 3rd RB, backup WR's can win games. No more excuses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CrashMan510 said:

My biggest problem with carr is that he doesn’t make his teammates better. The great qb’s do that, and in a salary cap league you cant win with a guy who can’t elevate anyone’s play

look at deshaun right now. Mediocre line, mediocre tight end, no run game. All he has is hopkins and he’s playing at an mvp level

Carr fans act like this is not humanly possible even though it’s proven time and time again great QBs elevate talent and make the whole team better. They are monsters under pressure and tremendous at improvising off script. 

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I hate when people ignore Carr but rag on the defense. How can you blame the defense with offense putting up a fg through 3 qtrs 

Yeah it’s ridiculous. That’s what happened the last Chief game too. “How can Carr do well when Curtis Riley sucks so much!” What....? We scored 10 frickin points and had a 10-0 lead. 

The defense has been playing average, which is way better than what we thought they’d be this year. Carr has been terrible. So tired of excuses. You can develop a never-ending book of excuses if you want because no QB situation will ever ever be close to perfect. 

Carr fans want a Top O 5 Line, an elite #1, a solid #2, great TE, and a Kyle Shanahan/Andy Reid play caller. You just described the greatest offense ever assembled basically....

I've still got Carr's back but if Tua slips to our pick I'm on board with taking a shot and seeing if he can shake the injury bug. Then if he can beat out Carr I'll move on. Otherwise 3rd round to develop our next Carr behind Carr so we can want to replace that guy too...I've seen Carr play excellent and dog poop. I do think he's 'broken' from the first injury and might never be consistently excellent. I AM use to the ish QB's over decades so I'm not as quick to move on either. I still think it makes the most sense to build a team and then replace him, but the extra draft assets and Tua's injuries might have him slip right into our lap. If you're thinking he can't beat Mahommes then I doubt any QB we get can beat him and Ried combo. So...It doesn't matter for the next decade right?!? 

• Like 3

Carr had Waller 1on1 on the outside on the pick six play. Looked like he couldn't have beaten the DB deep too. If teams are eyeing that short route, pump fake it and go to Waller. Let your playmaker make plays. Guaranteed Gruden brings that up in film considering he said he wants him throwing deep more.

He had time in this game for the most part. Awesome rb, solid oline play and you still can't make plays in the pass game. Wrs aren't that talented, but Carr doesn't let plays develop 

Carr looked like he turned the corner a few games back, but these last 3 games are back on track with last year and with the few rough games from earlier this year...

I start to think these few good games from him this year where the anomaly...he is what he is...

He is a gun shy guy, who wants to play his safe dink and dunk all the time...he has a good OL now, he has a potent HB behind him, he has a great TE corp...only his WR group is not strong, but a quality QB, should be able to win with this OL and this skill group IMO. We can add a great WR to this unit, but Carr won't change too much. He might have better stats and might give us a few more W's, but he won't become a QB, who can carry his team deep into the PO...IMO...

We have far more bigger needs on D and we should also try to get a true #1 WR, but at the same time, we need to evaluate every QB and pull the trigger if we see a guy, who can be our L.Jackson, P.Mahomes, D.Watson...funny that neither of them were 1\1...we have a stop gap in Carr, so we can develope the QB of the future the right way.

Get that QB in house in the 2020 draft or in the 2021 draft while we continue to develope the hole roster...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

At this point I’d call DC a game manager with the arm talent to be more. He’ll make some wow throws, but when things break down so does he. Not necessarily a QB to elevate those around him. More of a QB who is capable of elevating when the talent around him is superior. 

I’m still riding with Carr into 2020, let Mayock add some more pieces to this team and see what he does. I think he’s played well enough this year to be the guy next year. 

I believe TW was the only WR that played today that was on the opening day roster. Kind of crazy when you think about it. 

More default than anything. There are no FA QBs out there worth a damn. And they won't be in position to draft one of the top guys. 

The fact the argument for Carr is "add some more pieces and see how he does" tells me he's not the guy. No team is ever going to have all the right pieces, that's just the facts. 

Could you imagine what some QBs could do with the protection and running game Carr gets to play with? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

More default than anything. There are no FA QBs out there worth a damn. And they won't be in position to draft one of the top guys. 

The fact the argument for Carr is "add some more pieces and see how he does" tells me he's not the guy. No team is ever going to have all the right pieces, that's just the facts. 

Could you imagine what some QBs could do with the protection and running game Carr gets to play with? 

Yeah.

I think Gruden has to dive into this QB class and if he feels strong enough about a certain guy and we can grab him with our first pick, do it. Then build the roster with the rest after a busy FA period and let that rookie sit and learn, while Carr can start in 2020.

7 hours ago, true2form said:

I'm very much taking into account his entire career. The areas he continues to show concern are poise, pocket presence and playmaking ability. Yes, he will make a wow throw from time to time, but then revert back to having happy feet in the pocket. He lacks feel and field vision for a top QB. And he simply does not beat winning teams. He folds under that pressure. 

If you want to be a QB for the Raiders, you have to beat the Chiefs and Carr has been getting spanked by them since entering the league. 

I expected to compete. KC is an overrated team. The defense played a great game, they came ready. The QB through the game away before halftime. 

Tannehill is the same QB he was in Miami and a good comparison for Carr. He's a game manage. He's throwing like 20 passes a game right now. They are thriving on the ground where Henry has had 188 (KC), 159 (Jax) and 149 (Indy) on the ground in recent weeks. Henry is taking over games on the ground and they play good defense.

He's managing the The Titans are winning on the ground. 

Do you think the Titans are thinking "we found our QB" with Ryan Tannehill right now? Do you think they win in the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill? 

5 hours ago, G said:

I've still got Carr's back but if Tua slips to our pick I'm on board with taking a shot and seeing if he can shake the injury bug. Then if he can beat out Carr I'll move on. Otherwise 3rd round to develop our next Carr behind Carr so we can want to replace that guy too...I've seen Carr play excellent and dog poop. I do think he's 'broken' from the first injury and might never be consistently excellent. I AM use to the ish QB's over decades so I'm not as quick to move on either. I still think it makes the most sense to build a team and then replace him, but the extra draft assets and Tua's injuries might have him slip right into our lap. If you're thinking he can't beat Mahommes then I doubt any QB we get can beat him and Ried combo. So...It doesn't matter for the next decade right?!? 

This is all I am saying. I don't think you need to cut Carr outright or anything brash. Just get someone with a pedigree in here and stop giving him the starting job. Glennon and Peterman are not a putting pressure on him.

• Like 1