The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

54 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Carr looked like he turned the corner a few games back, but these last 3 games are back on track with last year and with the few rough games from earlier this year...

I start to think these few good games from him this year where the anomaly...he is what he is...

He is a gun shy guy, who wants to play his safe dink and dunk all the time...he has a good OL now, he has a potent HB behind him, he has a great TE corp...only his WR group is not strong, but a quality QB, should be able to win with this OL and this skill group IMO. We can add a great WR to this unit, but Carr won't change too much. He might have better stats and might give us a few more W's, but he won't become a QB, who can carry his team deep into the PO...IMO...

We have far more bigger needs on D and we should also try to get a true #1 WR, but at the same time, we need to evaluate every QB and pull the trigger if we see a guy, who can be our L.Jackson, P.Mahomes, D.Watson...funny that neither of them were 1\1...we have a stop gap in Carr, so we can develope the QB of the future the right way.

Get that QB in house in the 2020 draft or in the 2021 draft while we continue to develope the hole roster...

My fear... you add a top tier WR in the draft and Carr doesn't utilize him anyway. He had issues getting Cooper the ball and he's now thriving with Dak in Dallas. What confidence does anyone have that having a top flight WR will help Carr?

Oline has been good enough at giving Carr time, there are times he needs to use his legs more and scramble. There are times when the wrs don't get open due to talent and/or scheme.  Carr needed to show up yesterday and he didn't. If he does it's prob Raiders lead going into half. Jacobs was on fire.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My fear... you add a top tier WR in the draft and Carr doesn't utilize him anyway. He had issues getting Cooper the ball and he's now thriving with Dak in Dallas. What confidence does anyone have that having a top flight WR will help Carr?

I'm with you. I say we can add a great WR, since we will make our next QB's life easier that way and help Carr and Gruden win some more games in the Vegas debute year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I really don't care about what happened 2016. That's a lifetime ago in the NFL. Where is Carr at today? Where was he at with Cooper before getting traded to Dallas?

Just saying Cooper isn't thriving anymore with Dak than he did at some point with Carr.

43 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I'm with you. I say we can add a great WR, since we will make our next QB's life easier that way and help Carr and Gruden win some more games in the Vegas debute year.

This is my thought as well. Go the KC Bal and HOU route of building a good roster and then trading up to get your guy if Carr can’t be that guy. Yeah Carr has never had a great game against KC but this roster isn’t very good. The Raiders can run the ball and run it well...that’s about it. The defense still needs to be addressed, the Raiders need a number one WR. There certainly are issues with Carr but i still personally think that the Raiders need to shore up other issues instead. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

More default than anything. There are no FA QBs out there worth a damn. And they won't be in position to draft one of the top guys.

This is the problem.

Even if we all agreed and said Carr should be replaced, their really isn't an option. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is all I am saying. I don't think you need to cut Carr outright or anything brash. Just get someone with a pedigree in here and stop giving him the starting job. Glennon and Peterman are not a putting pressure on him.

It’s almost like a Alex Smith /pat homes deal at kc you draft a guy and sit him behind Carr. Hopefully carr shows something and you move Carr for a 2nd or 3rd then go forward with new qb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I really don't care about what happened 2016. That's a lifetime ago in the NFL. Where is Carr at today? Where was he at with Cooper before getting traded to Dallas?

I think Cooper quit on us after that season.  That's why he isn't here anymore.  I don't think Cooper and Mack liked Gruden.  Just my two cents on this question.  As for DC, man I'm so disappointed.  I don't even know what to say.  I see people defending him and I see his stats.  Two horrible games in a row.  A lot of things can be said about this KC game.  It came after they had a bye week.  It was an away game.  We were without Renfrow so the only two players they have to defend against is D. Waller and T. Williams so we have to rely on other players to make plays.  Gabe Jackson looked like he had a bad game.  That play where DC scrambled behind OT T. Brown was kind of odd, like why was Trent Brown just standing off to the side not doing anything?  Why didn't we run more?  I don't even know what to say about this game.  I'm still hoping we go 8-8.  I'll be happy with a couple more wins which I think we can get.  I think the teams moral might be shot though.  Hopefully someone can rally the troops.  It sucks that our starting safeties are out.  We traded Conley for a rookie who's still green.  I'm not making excuses.  I'm just waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel.  Waiting for us to turn the corner.  Still.  I believe Mayock and Gruden will get us there.  I know we will go into this offseason and find players in the draft and free agency and we will continue to improve.  Its just hard having to be patient.

Lastly, I like DC, but if we find the next L. Jackson or P. Mahomes, or R. Wilson, I hope we take him.  If he isn't there, then I hope the team we put together next season gets DC to their level.  That is all.  Happy Holidays!!!

• Like 2

I'm very much taking into account his entire career. The areas he continues to show concern are poise, pocket presence and playmaking ability. Yes, he will make a wow throw from time to time, but then revert back to having happy feet in the pocket. He lacks feel and field vision for a top QB. And he simply does not beat winning teams. He folds under that pressure. 

All valid concerns.  He needs to be better and hopefully he can be, if not we replace him.  It's really not something to debate anymore because it will have to play out.

If you want to be a QB for the Raiders, you have to beat the Chiefs and Carr has been getting spanked by them since entering the league. 

No he hasn't beaten them.  That's true.  However, it doesn't tell the whole story.  If you guys are expecting him to beat a playoff team with a **** team, don't hold your breath.

I expected to compete. KC is an overrated team. The defense played a great game, they came ready. The QB through the game away before halftime. 

I did too and I'm very disappointed in him.  He really needed to show some fire and make some plays. He failed.

Tannehill is the same QB he was in Miami and a good comparison for Carr. He's a game manage. He's throwing like 20 passes a game right now. They are thriving on the ground where Henry has had 188 (KC), 159 (Jax) and 149 (Indy) on the ground in recent weeks. Henry is taking over games on the ground and they play good defense.

He's managing the The Titans are winning on the ground. 

Do you think the Titans are thinking "we found our QB" with Ryan Tannehill right now? Do you think they win in the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill? 

Yes I do.  I think Tannehill will be their QB now and into next year for sure.  I think they can compete and win in the playoffs.  They're built for football this time of the year.  They won't go to or win the super bowl though. He's not a long term solution, but you never know.  A lot of QB's end up being better in their 2nd half of their careers with a different team that drafted them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

More default than anything. There are no FA QBs out there worth a damn. And they won't be in position to draft one of the top guys. 

The fact the argument for Carr is "add some more pieces and see how he does" tells me he's not the guy. No team is ever going to have all the right pieces, that's just the facts. 

Could you imagine what some QBs could do with the protection and running game Carr gets to play with? 

It's crazy because a few games ago I was watching Tannehill and posted in here I wish Carr played like that. Ryan freaking Tannehill, it's that gamer mentality Carr is lacking.