The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

Carr didn't play badly yesterday from what I observed over the broadcast cam. I saw a lot of covered receives and a lot of dropped passes. Also, I don't really think the Jets got a lot of pressure; I thought the line pass protected pretty well. Carr stood in the pocket and stepped up well. I put the blame primarily on the receivers for not getting open and dropping passes.

On defense, I thought Darnold balled out more than the defense played badly. Darnold made a lot of spectacular throws and showed off his escapability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr didn't play badly yesterday from what I observed over the broadcast cam. I saw a lot of covered receives and a lot of dropped passes. Also, I don't really think the Jets got a lot of pressure; I thought the line pass protected pretty well. Carr stood in the pocket and stepped up well. I put the blame primarily on the receivers for not getting open and dropping passes.

That's what I was seeing, not a lot of separation. Maybe part of it was the weather but still, need more from our WRs. I also think Gruden could be a bit more clever about getting guys open. Some play designs and when he calls them are genius. I just wanna see less of Waller getting bottled up. They keep talking about being able to play left-handed but the left hand is not strong enough.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

On defense, I thought Darnold balled out more than the defense played badly. Darnold made a lot of spectacular throws and showed off his escapability.

Right on point.. we lacked some pressure but wrs also made some grabs in good coverage and some contested Grabs. We got outplayed and Frankly team looked dead. Also we abandoned running game way too fast. Didn't set up and playaction.

This really can be a statement game for Carr. A borderline 'must win' type game against a defense that isn't very good. He can't come lay an egg in Arrowhead again. 

This is the type game that will go a long way in determining who this player is. Can he buck his negative trend and elevate his play in a cold weather road game against a winnable opponent? 

• Like 2

run game couldnt get going, that was the problem. where does our WR core rank in the league? Bottom 10 for sure, if we aint running the ball, and the WRs aint getting seperation and then dropping dimes, how much is that going to fall on the QB? I know some of yall like to bash Carr, but context is key. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

run game couldnt get going, that was the problem. where does our WR core rank in the league? Bottom 10 for sure, if we aint running the ball, and the WRs aint getting seperation and then dropping dimes, how much is that going to fall on the QB? I know some of yall like to bash Carr, but context is key. 

Its better than the Eagles current guys with Renfrow and Williams, but I've not seen any other WR core as bad this year. With Renfrow out and Williams seeming to get more erratic by the week its a huge worry for sure. Doss and Ateman should be given a chance to see what we've got in them but Id like to see at least 3 guys brought in through the draft (high picks) and FA (role player). 

Yes our WR core sucks but the cold weather stats and performance are there. You can’t argue against them as they are career stats. Stop with this context stuff. Carr does not like cold, never has, and performs terrible in cold weather. Even his old coach/great friend Del Rio just said Carr doesn’t like (aka sucks) in cold weather games. In 2016 most of our road games were in a warm climate, and he didn’t play in Denver that year because he was injured. 

Carr in places like Kansas City, Denver, New York, Seattle, has never gone that well. 

Edited by BayRaider

Iirc, Peyton Manning and Brees were/are known for struggling in cold weather as well. That's not to say Carr is on their level but that's not uncommon, even for elite QBs, to have a serious drop off in tough conditions. So we'll just have to get home field advantage in the playoffs in LV!

• Like 1

I see we've reached the stage 2 of our post loss grief cycle here... the dreaded "worst in the league" stage. 

This is the stage where we call every unit on the team "the worst in the league". Symptoms include hardcore whining. Extreme hot takes and inevitable "I'll take that guy over anyone one at that position on this team in a heartbeat". 

Next up... Stage 3, acceptance. This is where a fellow poster will post a new game day thread and we all debate this Sunday's game. Everyone is excited for a new opportunity to see their team play. 

• Like 2