The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I don’t know why people don’t understand this.....

And I don't understand why people don't get that we gave up points on up to 75% of drives because our defense is so horrid and then turn around and expect our average offense to match that against actual defenses. Seriously? 

The Titans had the ball 10 times and two of those were late in the 4th milking the clock up 3 scores, so they weren't trying on those. That means they scored 5 TDs, missed a FG, had the interception to Hurst, and were forced to punt in the 8 drives that mattered. 

I'm certain that they would have scored on their opening possession, but we got lucky with the pick by Hurst. Either way it counts as a stop I guess. They then ran off 3 straight TDs and missed a FG. The defense was lucky to not give up 31 points in the first half.

Everyone references the one forced punt to start the 2nd half, but that was really the only true stop of the game also. They "forced" them to punt late in the game, but they were just milking the clock at that point up 42-21. Their final possession was just running out the clock.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can build a nice roster around Carr and what will he ultimately do with it?

That's the entire point!!!!!!!!  We don't know.  None of us can say.  You can guess he'll continue to suck.  I can guess he'll at least be better than he is.

The point remains.  You improve the team and just like the Texans and Chiefs that you mentioned, you pull the trigger to get that QB to put you over the top. Tua is the only guy who "might" be available and "might" become that player. I don't think so, but he has a chance.

Some act like if I say I want Carr to be the starter to begin next year, that that's somehow a lifetime contract.  Unless something I can't predict happens, Carr will be our starter week 1 next year.  Whether we add a FA or draft pick is up to Gruden and Mayock.

This is the way it is. Until something changes, this is my last word on it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, true2form said:

And I don't understand why people don't get that we gave up points on up to 75% of drives because our defense is so horrid and then turn around and expect our average offense to match that against actual defenses. Seriously? 

The Titans had the ball 10 times and two of those were late in the 4th milking the clock up 3 scores, so they weren't trying on those. That means they scored 5 TDs, missed a FG, had the interception to Hurst, and were forced to punt in the 8 drives that mattered. 

I'm certain that they would have scored on their opening possession, but we got lucky with the pick by Hurst. Either way it counts as a stop I guess. They then ran off 3 straight TDs and missed a FG. The defense was lucky to not give up 31 points in the first half.

Everyone references the one forced punt to start the 2nd half, but that was really the only true stop of the game also. They "forced" them to punt late in the game, but they were just milking the clock at that point up 42-21. Their final possession was just running out the clock.

Titans are a super hot playoff team who have beat kc etc. defense did exactly what I expected. I didn’t expect us to win this game and I didn’t expect us to get shut out in the 2nd half. Do you even care about our offense basically only accounting 2 tds?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Titans are a super hot playoff team who have beat kc etc. defense did exactly what I expected. I didn’t expect us to win this game and I didn’t expect us to get shut out in the 2nd half. Do you even care about our offense basically only accounting 2 tds?

Of course I do. However, I'm not oblivious to what they are either.  They are not a high powered offense. Does anyone think they are?

Our best offensive player and best olineman weren't playing.  So I expected them to be worse off than they have been. They actually looked better than they have in weeks.  That doesn't mean they were great or couldn't have done better, but the fact is still a fact.

I get it, we all want more.  I just think my expectations are where they should be and others aren't. If we had lost 49-35 would you feel better? Would that change anything?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

If you're starting Zay Jones, Tyrell Williams, Rico Gafford and DeAndre Washington in your offense, you can't really expect fireworks against an opponent who's giving up 19.6 ppg on the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Don’t forget the Raiders offense was playing with back up RB , LT and  WRS 

33 minutes ago, true2form said:

Of course I do. However, I'm not oblivious to what they are either.  They are not a high powered offense. Does anyone think they are?

Our best offensive player and best olineman weren't playing.  So I expected them to be worse off than they have been. They actually looked better than they have in weeks.  That doesn't mean they were great or couldn't have done better, but the fact is still a fact.

I get it, we all want more.  I just think my expectations are where they should be and others aren't. If we had lost 49-35 would you feel better? Would that change anything?

Actually I would feel better especially if we scored in the 3rd. Momentum is a huge factor in games. No telling how much a scoring drive in the 3rd would’ve impacted the outcome. I just expect more from a 100 million $ qb. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

If you're starting Zay Jones, Tyrell Williams, Rico Gafford and DeAndre Washington in your offense, you can't really expect fireworks against an opponent who's giving up 19.6 ppg on the season.

I would’ve been happy with a loud fart in the 2nd half lol something dam I don’t need the Big Bang.

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Actually I would feel better especially if we scored in the 3rd. Momentum is a huge factor in games. No telling how much a scoring drive in the 3rd would’ve impacted the outcome. I just expect more from a 100 million $ qb. 

not that i disagree, but a 100 mil qb doesnt mean much anymore. 

Right now Carr is scheduled to be the 12th highest paid QB next year... if there are a few QB signings in FA, he will probably come in around the 15th-18th highest paid qb.

Which isnt that absurd IMO 

Carr is Bottom 5 in Air Yards at 5.0 (Traveled Yards) for the third straight season under two different offensive systems. 

He’s been doin this 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8s for 3 years now. It was never a coaching problem. This has always, always, been a Derek Carr problem. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

not that i disagree, but a 100 mil qb doesnt mean much anymore. 

Right now Carr is scheduled to be the 12th highest paid QB next year... if there are a few QB signings in FA, he will probably come in around the 15th-18th highest paid qb.

Which isnt that absurd IMO 

Well money aside I still expect more from our 6 year “franchise” Qb. I expect at least one scoring drive in the 2nd half. As injured and bad as our defense is at least they got a 2nd half stop and even got a t/o in the first half to help the offense score. Our offense just folded in the 2nd half no excuse for that imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Well money aside I still expect more from our 6 year “franchise” Qb. I expect at least one scoring drive in the 2nd half. As injured and bad as our defense is at least they got a 2nd half stop and even got a t/o in the first half to help the offense score. Our offense just folded in the 2nd half no excuse for that imo.

absolutely agreed with that.
not even just the fact we went scoreless, but the amount of 3 and outs is such a momentum killer as well. 

as numerous people have mentioned. the 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8 must just deflate the entire team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Don’t forget The Great Brandon Parker. Dudes will skew stats and make every excuse for the defense just to turn all the blame on DC and the offense. 

3 hours ago, true2form said:

It was a tie game at half. Raiders got two shots to add points and failed. The defense is a mess, but the offense has squandered opportunities to control games all season. 

A ball control offense with a conservative QB and a bad defense is a miserable combination. 

We got lucky by applying pressure, tipping a pass for an INT? If anything good happens on defense it's just luck?

Still, they made a stop in a tie game and the offense did nothing to capitalize on it. They had two shots, did nothing. We know the defense is going to break eventually. But you're paying 125 mil for a QB to play small in a tie game with the playoffs on the line. What happens if the Raider go up 7 and maybe build some momentum? Different game 

• Like 1