We are at a crossroads.

DudeWhat???

As I go back and forth about this draft and what our team should or should not do...more than anytime ever...i have come to the conclusion that we are at a crossroads. Our team, organization and front office is archaic ....... as we go through these troubles we flashback to the times of wanting CBs who can tackle instead of cover....in this new pass happy league in which the defense is purposely handcuffed ....our defense is no longer supreme....we thought it was just losing shazier....but it was always much more..we didnt notice it as much because our organization kept in step with times by landing the killing Bees...no one saw this in brown or bell...or juju for that matter....now because of classic locker room problems ...but in all reality players wanting more guaranteed money up front....we have nothing....on both sides of the ball we are behind the times...so here we are...the decision is this... do we focus on building a defense for this era...a backfield that can cover with less concern on tackling and a d line that can pressure ? or do we focus on building a high powered pass happy offense with fast TEs and speed demon or large WRs? what should be the focus?

Good post.
You have to start with D. Load up that backfield and
find some playmakers, so there's competition everywhere.
At least one corner and one FS to add to the mix.
Draft two to three LBS and a new DL with potential, as well.
And, yes, find one new weapon for Ben, maybe with one your top 4 picks.
I'd love to see 7 picks on D, 3 the other way.

You must have missed the other crossroads:D

It is a bad draft for the Steelers when they need playmakers because of injury or social media.

This is tough for the Steelers.  They were not expecting to HAVE to draft a WR but they do.  They were not expecting to need a ILB, but they do.

Soooooo......I disagree.

And I know that sounds funny, but I 100% believe that we have the template for what to do.  Denver Bronco's a few years ago.  We're primed to have a bunch of cap next year.  I say we do this: Load up.  Load up.  Backload some contract cap wise.  Bring in the talent.  Surround Ben with some great play, namely on defense.  Understand he's going to make mistakes.  Have a defense that can hold teams to 18-21ppg.  Then all they have to do is score 24ppg.  No more of this 30ppg talk.  

The Steelers are where they are at their best. Underdogs. At least how they are viewed media wise. They lost 1 player, albeit a great one, and now they are supposed to be garbage? I don't see the Ravens sustaining success with that Offensive game plan. The Browns look great on paper but are likely to need some time to gel. And I can't wait to see how 2 egomaniacs Mayfield and OBJ manage each other. The Steelers will be less explosive but more consistent. Which will make for a better football team imo. Get some quality Defensive players and an Offensive player or 2 and they are as good a contender as any other team. 

A difference is that the Steelers generally draft looking to the next year.  Shazier injury and MBC have messed that up.  THey still have not fixed the ILB issue and now they need a decent WR.

Looking ahead they MUST draft a CB.  Haden and Burns are potential FA.  i predict this will be in the 1st 2 rounds.

Other than that, TE should be drafted because McDonald is at a Club option and Grimble will be a FA.

That ignore the gaping talent hole at ILB.

The Steelers show -- at times -- they are one of the best in the league. Other times, they show they are not very good at all. I do believe the offense is good enough to win a Superbowl, but only if they can minimize the turnovers and mistakes. Frankly, I haven't seen that consistently for several years now.

The D is not good enough. They have a few moments during games where they make a few plays, but I just do not see them making a crucial stop or turnover when the game is on the line. A few FA additions have me encouraged, but unless they are going to start playing tighter coverage on a more consistent basis, I just do not see the Steelers doing much in '19.

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

A difference is that the Steelers generally draft looking to the next year.  Shazier injury and MBC have messed that up.  THey still have not fixed the ILB issue and now they need a decent WR.

Looking ahead they MUST draft a CB.  Haden and Burns are potential FA.  i predict this will be in the 1st 2 rounds.

Other than that, TE should be drafted because McDonald is at a Club option and Grimble will be a FA.

That ignore the gaping talent hole at ILB.

That and that’s not even factoring in IOL with Foster another year older and more $$, and Finney being FA.

OLB with Dupree being FA and Chick at a $6.5 mill cap hit If on roster next year.

Oh and S with currently no depth and Davis being a FA at end of year.

Hence why it would surprise me to see a WR drafted before day 3.

i think they need to simply draft BPA and rely on the coaches to develop them and develop a game plan to maximize the talent whether it be on O or D

we seen super bowls winners with offense and with defense. super bowls can be one with either. 

id be worried that loading up on one side or the other would have us passing up better players

talent is important, but i feel attitude and scheming is just as important, maybe more.

we need more football players and less athletes with potential

our HC is able to win the regular season games with better talent but fails come playoffs.

we need a change of philosophy, attitude, ego and new rah rah from the HC to motivate the 'volunteers'

On 3/28/2019 at 3:02 AM, DudeWhat??? said:

As I go back and forth about this draft and what our team should or should not do...more than anytime ever...I have come to the conclusion that we are at a crossroads.

Some talent has exited the building over the past few years, but some cancers have as well.  Tough year, mistakes caught up to the team, team philosophy, player treatment, locker room issues, etc, etc, etc. Good news is that it isn't the end of the road and no need to mail in the upcoming season.

Our team, organization and front office is archaic ....... as we go through these troubles we flashback to the times of wanting CBs who can tackle instead of cover....in this new pass happy league in which the defense is purposely handcuffed ....our defense is no longer supreme....we thought it was just losing Shazier....but it was always much more.

Shazier was never a great run supporter.  He made up for a lot by being so athletically gifted.  His leadership and character are sorely missed on the field though.  There are players who can be drafted to help in this area.  We need an ILB who is balanced (Can drop, but can stick his nose in there in the running game). I believe that a solid ILB can be drafted outside of the first round, should they miss on the Devin's which is looking more and more likely without a trade.

We didn't notice it as much because our organization kept in step with times by landing the killing Bees...no one saw this in brown or bell...or juju for that matter....now because of classic locker room problems ...but in all reality players wanting more guaranteed money up front....we have nothing....on both sides of the ball we are behind the times...so here we are...the decision is this...

I don't believe this is as much a shock to those intimate with the situation as those of us following, but from the outside looking in. The warning signs and "handwriting" was all over the wall. We just hoped it would work itself out. Prime example, the Bell drama lasted way too long.  Many of us said, take the decision out of his hands. That drama lasted until he finally decided not to show up and forfeit the season more than halfway through the year.  Too long and too much hanging over their heads and even over Connors shoulders.  Hopefully the team and Coaches learn from this.  I like the fact that Coach T hasn't said much.  He looks "driven/motivated."  And he should be! I see some changes in philosophy and other things happening.

do we focus on building a defense for this era...a backfield that can cover with less concern on tackling and a d line that can pressure ? or do we focus on building a high powered pass happy offense with fast TEs and speed demon or large WRs? what should be the focus?

I think the Steelers have to build a TEAM.  While most of us flipped at the Edmonds drafting in round one, he is a high character person, as is Sean Davis, Ju Ju, Connors, and others. While everyone wants to get PAID, not everyone goes about it the same way.  I think you build with players who have character more than having a cast of characters. You need a balanced football team.  Some games you have to be able to win shoot-outs and then you still need the defense to make a stop if the opposing team gets the ball last.  As many stated, we didn't have that in several games. With our kicker struggling and our offense at times out of sync it all contributed to an under-performing season...AGAIN!  Follow your draft board. I don't see one player taking this team over the top immediately, but I can see several contributing to help do that.  We need  (no particular order) another young CB, TE, ILB, OLB/Edge, WR, DT/NG, FS/SS.  There are players and pieces in place to build around on both sides of the ball.

To this point, this is my first year that I can remember that I’m not “ALL IN” for on position or one side of the ball for that matter.

I too believe we are not as far off as most in the media are saying. We did lose the game’s greatest WR but as other alluded to, it may bring about balance and a good chunk of Bens turnovers were do to obvious forcing to AB so the turnovers may be reduced slightly as well.

In all, I simply want BPA at EVERY PICK! No projects, no what if’s, no down the road, I want the best ball players that can contribute immediately. If that’s Hockenson in round 1 and a CB in round 2 fine. If it’s Burns and Thornhill fine. Mack Wilson and WR like Ridley in round 2, cool. I’m going into the draft open minded as ever and hoping the scouts and coaches can reload instead of rebuild. 

43 minutes ago, waffles7 said:

To this point, this is my first year that I can remember that I’m not “ALL IN” for on position or one side of the ball for that matter.

I too believe we are not as far off as most in the media are saying. We did lose the game’s greatest WR but as other alluded to, it may bring about balance and a good chunk of Bens turnovers were do to obvious forcing to AB so the turnovers may be reduced slightly as well.

In all, I simply want BPA at EVERY PICK! No projects, no what if’s, no down the road, I want the best ball players that can contribute immediately. If that’s Hockenson in round 1 and a CB in round 2 fine. If it’s Burns and Thornhill fine. Mack Wilson and WR like Ridley in round 2, cool. I’m going into the draft open minded as ever and hoping the scouts and coaches can reload instead of rebuild. 

I agree, my delicious breakfast named friend. I think we are maybe one piece away from having a top flight defense. I think adding Devin White to this defense would put us over the edge. I think adding depth/rotational pieces are necessary too, obviously. A good DE that can rotate and get after the QB would be helpful. 

A more balanced and physical offense coupled with our defense with a new playmaker puts us in contention to win it all. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:25 AM, jebrick said:

You must have missed the other crossroads:D

This.

We have been at a "crossroads" for several years.

This year really isnt any different.

Problem is, the team is always going to be at a crossroad when they fail at fixing certain issues.....even moreso when they create more issues on top of the ones they already have.

The front office cant decide if it wants to win with Ben or try to build for after him.     Obviously, anyone they are drafting in recent years is building for the future, but when you do things like overdraft a raw project at safety in the first round and draft a development QB of the future with a 3rd round pick when you dont even have a plan for him and he may never play is just idiotic.

I have little faith in this front office, and believe this team will go as Ben goes, and then it will topple over....barring some kind of dramatic change to how our current front office is run.  

18 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

This.

We have been at a "crossroads" for several years.

This year really isnt any different.

Problem is, the team is always going to be at a crossroad when they fail at fixing certain issues.....even moreso when they create more issues on top of the ones they already have.

The front office cant decide if it wants to win with Ben or try to build for after him.     Obviously, anyone they are drafting in recent years is building for the future, but when you do things like overdraft a raw project at safety in the first round and draft a development QB of the future with a 3rd round pick when you dont even have a plan for him and he may never play is just idiotic.

I have little faith in this front office, and believe this team will go as Ben goes, and then it will topple over....barring some kind of dramatic change to how our current front office is run.  

agreed

i think the steelers super bowl opportunity was last year and the  year before. they had the talent to win it all and could have drafted a player or two and signed  a FA or two that would have had immediate impact but chose not to.  although they spent a little money in FA this year,  i think they should have gone after better (and sometimes cheaper guys). if they really wanted to maximize bens final couple years.

i guess i dont blame them for sticking with the old tried and true philosophy of  'just trying to win the division'.  is good  enough

Archived