When did you fall in love with football?

Kiwibrown

October 31st , 2007

I was a lanky, unpopular guy in my Freshman year of highschool. I had a friend that had a "in" with some of the "cooler" guys in school. On Halloween he invited me to go trick or treating with some of these cool, athletic guys. Before we started, they wanted to play a pickup game of touch football. I played with them even though Ive NEVER played football before. I somehow ended up playing SUPER WELL, even making a onehanded catch! They were saying things like "Wow that was like Randy Moss!" which BOOSTED my confidence like crazy and I went home and became OBSESSED with football! I read up on it everyday on the internet and watched almost every game for the past 11 years!

My first game I watched after getting into it? Vikings vs Chargers Nov 4th, 2007-- the game where Adrian Peterson went OFF for a record 296 yards B|

Probably 2002/2003.

Hanging out with friends in Middle School/High School on the weekends playing Madden made me want to know more players, who was good, who was bad, what are players strengths, what teams are good at certain things, learning plays and picking favorite players ect and really took it from "yeah football is cool" to "where are we watching the games this weekend and who do the Browns need to draft" 

There was also a moment of transitioning to wanting to see the players who you play with in the video game play in real life.

I was 9 at my grandpas house. Was 1999, Raiders vs Chiefs final game of the year. Think it was an OT 41-38 win for the Raiders. I was absolutely glued to my seat while on the edge the whole time, mouth open, and my grandpa tells my dad “I think he’s really going to be into football”. 

On 3/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, SBLIII said:

around 1999 I believe.

Dang, you’ve had the luxory of a good Pats team just about your entire life. Sox have been beasts since ‘03, and Celtics have been pretty good overall. 

I envy you sir, I envy you. I’ve never experienced a World Championship outside of the Warriors and I’m wayyyy more of a Football and Baseball fan than Basketball. 

2008, week 17, Broncos Chargers. That was the first time I tried watching the NFL. I tuned in just before the second half and I was entranced. Darren Sproles was amazing. He's the reason I fell in love with this sport.

I then bought a second hand copy of Madden 08 and ended up a Browns fan.

3 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

2008, week 17, Broncos Chargers. That was the first time I tried watching the NFL. I tuned in just before the second half and I was entranced. Darren Sproles was amazing. He's the reason I fell in love with this sport.

I then bought a second hand copy of Madden 08 and ended up a Browns fan.

😂 

the year after our one good season 

Beginning of last season.

I realized when I began watching other teams and getting to know the players. 

I started watching at the start of the 2015 season, but I've been memorizing the route tree, formations for a little while and have been watching highlights everyday and keeping up with Cheesehead TV, Packer Nation etc for awhile now.

Hmm when did I fall in love with football? I guess probably in high school. Was at a party, got drunk and then I suddenly noticed all of the girls had left and I was alone in a room with a football. One thing led to another and I've been committed to football ever since.

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Hmm when did I fall in love with football? I guess probably in high school. Was at a party, got drunk and then I suddenly noticed all of the girls had left and I was alone in a room with a football. One thing led to another and I've been committed to football ever since.

Lies - everyone knows there are no women in Cleveland.

*When did I fall OUT of love with football (specifically the NFL)???

2018, when the NFL decided to become Arena Football.  Seriously, the NFL has basically come out and made all defense illegal these days.  Can't hit anybody anywhere, can't breathe on a QB in or out of the pocket, defenseless receiver BS, critical PI's called all game long, legitimate sacks somehow being called roughing the passer, I mean I can go on and on.  None of these "amazing" offensive stats that we are seeing today have any value because it is all so cheap and contrived. 

Of course Pat Mahomes can come into the league and immediately be better than John Elway, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino ever were; today's NFL has turned into the Big 12!  Believe it or not, some of us actually want there to be a level playing field between offense and defense, with no slant EITHER way.  It makes it that much more meaningful when your offense goes off on a really good defense that is actually allowed to try and stop you, rather than watching every team just go up and down the field all game. 

But yeah, this is the instant gratification generation and all that matters is shiny TD's and 80 yard bombs and who cares that your 65 points were the direct result of countless terrible PI's, roughing, and defenseless receiver penalties all game!!!

When Did I fall out of love with football?

Three words- Brady. Belichick. Bama.

i used to love football. Now, I merely tolerate it and just root for whoever plays these evil empires.

i will fall in love with football again when Brady and Belichick go way for good and stop sucking the joy and fun out of this sport.

Archived