Bears trade Jordan Howard to Eagles

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Your obsession with that YPC stat is comical. Not a single RB in the past 3 drafts in those rds has put up Jordan Howard's "Overall Numbers" (only stat that truly matters) the past 3 years. Not one!

Only Gurley and Elliott have, that's it. 

Looking at total numbers is a terrible way to base things. If Howard had thise numbers and a 2.5 ypc you’re gonna tell me that’s impressive?

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Looking at total numbers is a terrible way to base things. If Howard had thise numbers and a 2.5 ypc you’re gonna tell me that’s impressive?

You're going overboard now and putting way to much emphasis on his 2018 YPC in a system he clearly didn't fit. As though his career  YPC of 4.3 means absolutely nothing?

Since you're so caught up with the 4.0 YPC did the following players suck in you're eyes too? Especially  since Total numbers in "Your eyes" is a "Terrible  way to base things".

2017 LeVeon Bell 1900+ 11TD 4.0

2017 Zeke 1200+ 9TD (10 gms) 4.1

2016 David Johnson 2100+ 20TD 4.2

David Johnson is a prime example. Did he fall off a cliff too in 2018 with his 3.6 YPC? Or was it his atrocious  OL, Rookie QB and complete lack of proper usage by his OC?

Not seeing much difference. 

15 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

Just last offseason Bears fans were arguing this guy was a top 5-10 RB.  What happened

To a degree his limitations got further exposed in the new offense.

Howard was super productive in a really bad/conservative offense under John Fox. Howard is good at running the outside zone. The Bears ran outside zone left, outside zone right, outside zone left over and over again. There were games where the Bears threw 7 passes. The offense was horrible, but Howard put up big numbers because literally all we did was run the same run play he ran well over and over again.

Last season they wanted to mix the run game up, he was horrible running non-zone runs. They wanted to pass to the RB, he is a check down only pass catcher and he runs 0 routes. They wanted to be explosive on offense and he was one of the least explosive backs in the league. He really could not do anything that the more creative and dynamic offense wanted to do.

The best way that I can explain it is taking a short order cook, who can cook his menu, and dropping him into a fine dining restaurant. Yes, some of the skills are still useful, but they are not equipped for success in that environment. 

I think the deal worked out for both teams. 

The Eagles are not going to use Howard as a 250-270 carry feature back. They are going to use him like Blount where he gets 170 carries and can run the outside zone that the Eagles like to run. He can be the short yardage back and come off the field for passing downs. 

The Bears get an asset for a player they were not going to play and were not going to re-sign. They want a back that is not a tell in the passing game and that can be involved in passing plays on every snap. Howard made them very predictable last season and now they can avoid that. It was going to be much harder for Howard to go from 250 carry feature back to role player in Chicago, transitioning roles is always easier in a new environment.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:01 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

Bears fans just salty in here it's obvious lol. Really trying to justify that 2020 6th for a quality back in Howard.

What are speed/pass catching limited RBs worth? Most Bears fans looked at the Carlos Hyde trade last season as fair value.

I am thrilled they got something for him, many of us were expecting him to be released or languish on the Bears bench and then leave for nothing after the 2019 season. After the Mack trade we need the picks, even later in the draft.

I would have liked the pick to be this year, but getting the conditional 5th probably meant we needed to wait a year.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

You're going overboard now and putting way to much emphasis on his 2018 YPC in a system he clearly didn't fit. As though his career  YPC of 4.3 means absolutely nothing?

Since you're so caught up with the 4.0 YPC did the following players suck in you're eyes too? Especially  since Total numbers in "Your eyes" is a "Terrible  way to base things".

2017 LeVeon Bell 1900+ 11TD 4.0

2017 Zeke 1200+ 9TD (10 gms) 4.1

2016 David Johnson 2100+ 20TD 4.2

David Johnson is a prime example. Did he fall off a cliff too in 2018 with his 3.6 YPC? Or was it his atrocious  OL, Rookie QB and complete lack of proper usage by his OC?

Not seeing much difference. 

I think the counter point is that his 5.2 YPC and 4.1 YPC years were in really bad 1 dimensional offenses that literally ran the same play for him over and over again.

His really good years were inflated by the 1935 offense that John Fox was running.

I think he will be productive in Philly, not like 2016-17, but in a reduced role that does not expose him in the passing game and ask him to run anything but zone runs. I would expect 170 carries x 4.1 YPC for 700 yards and 7-8 TDs.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:
14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think the counter point is that his 5.2 YPC and 4.1 YPC years were in really bad 1 dimensional offenses that literally ran the same play for him over and over again.

His really good years were inflated by the 1935 offense that John Fox was running.

So to be clear, you think he was able to inflate his numbers in a "Predictable" offense but couldn't produce in a "unpredictable" offenses?? Isn't  that that antithesis of what should happen?

We know what's coming, We know who getting the ball but we still can't  stop him? That makes no sense what so ever. Sorry.

11 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

I don't understand how production in a predictable and one dimensional offense is a bad thing. All defense had to game plan for was that and he was hard to stop?

If he can catch a screen pass he'll do just fine

He cant.  That's part of the problem

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So to be clear, you think he was able to inflate his numbers in a "Predictable" offense but couldn't produce in a "unpredictable" offenses?? Isn't  that that antithesis of what should happen?

We know what's coming, We know who getting the ball but we still can't  stop him? That makes no sense what so ever. Sorry.

While you are correct it doesnt make sense, it is none the less true.  He was a hindrance to the offense significantly, particularly on passing plays.  So much so that the Bears kept Howard on the sidelines in critical situations more often than not, instead electing to put Tiquan Mizzell, a far inferior back, on the field in his place. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:36 PM, Tyty said:

I disagree. Think he is a good back but was in a bad fit. He was stellar in our previous offense but an odd man out in our current. Think he very well could destroy in a better suited offense that uses him right. Hope he does too, cause for a bit he was literally the only bear I even cared about lol. Only getting a 6th kinda sucks but I hope he excels elsewhere. 

Dont you guys and the Eagles both come from the same offensive "trees" 

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Dont you guys and the Eagles both come from the same offensive "trees" 

They were both OCs under Reid and have the same wc concepts.  Nagy has incorporated a lot more college concepts into his offense, bringing in Helfrich as his OC.  8 don't really see the fit for the Eagles unless it's as stated 7-10 touches per game in the Blount role.  

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

They were both OCs under Reid and have the same wc concepts.  Nagy has incorporated a lot more college concepts into his offense, bringing in Helfrich as his OC.  8 don't really see the fit for the Eagles unless it's as stated 7-10 touches per game in the Blount role.  

Pederson also found was to utilize properly Ajayi and somehow Adams too. Don't think Howard will be that limited in Pederson's offense. At least not to the point he was under Nagy.

Archived