Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ironically, the "Low hanging fruit" approach was taught in the second week of my MBA Program. 

AKA there's no reason to not do something that could potentially have tangible results (even small ones) when the opportunity cost is nothing. 

Nobody is saying that Rodgers drew significant numbers to the show, but all it took to get him there is a conversation with his agent.

Thats fine and if we want to create a world where 1 extra subscription proves the point that it was worth it. Great. I just dont happen to live there.
The proposed revenue stream is so small, indirect, tangential, insecure and impervious to direct marketing so as to be farcical. In fact the proposed "market" has been whittled down to turning social media pirates into paying subscribers. You want to apply the "AR theory" to HBO's intentions - fine with me. This conversation reached been there / said it already levels some posts ago - but lastly - IF that was on HBO's mind - they sure shorted these really, really, really, short term customers cause they didnt show AR but for a fleeting moment. Not exactly sound business practice. If that makes sense to you - not a problem for me. We'll simply agree to disagree. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling this thread will be higher than the Depreciation thread at this season's end and there won't be a LaFleur appreciation thread just like Benjamin Franklin gets credit for Independence and nobody knows who Samuel Adams was. 

Just now, Shanedorf said:

He did own a brewery, but it failed because he wasn't great with money.  He was pretty much a minimalist and never cared about money.  He was a tax collector before the Revolution and he sucked at his job because he was so lenient.  The beer was merely named after him.  Probably because there's no Independence without Samuel Adams. 

• Like 1

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/11/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-donates-to-cal-football-creates-new-scholarship/

The University of Cal announced that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has donated a significant amount of money to the school’s football program – in the form of a seven-figure gift – to help renovate the team’s locker room and establish a new scholarship in the quarterback’s name.

Updates to the new locker room, which will be renamed the Aaron Rodgers Team Locker Room, are expected to be completed before the start of the 2019 football season.

The money will also go towards funding the Aaron Rodgers Football Scholarship, which will be awarded to a junior college transfer each year. Rodgers transferred to Cal after starting his football career at Butte College.

“I’m pleased and proud to make this gift to support Cal football,” Rodgers said in the press release. “My years at Cal were among the best years of my life.  My time in Berkeley created lasting, unforgettable memories

Edited by Shanedorf

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gotta put my hater hat on here. 

Don't donate money to a school with an endowment of 4.6 billion dollars and charges out of state students 41,000 per year to attend.

Like most hater hats, I'd suggest yours is misplaced

Every reputable school has an endowment, much of it coming from donations by alumni. You'd be hard pressed to find one without.
Is there some cutoff in endowment balances below which it would be acceptable to make a donation ?

Every State school charges out-of -state students more in great part because their Charter is to educate the students of the State they are in. That's tied to the money they get from the legislature. So again, you'd be hard pressed to find a State school that doesn't charge more for out-of-state students. AR also donated to Butte a few years back and this Cal donation and endowed scholarship are specifically for community college transfers and those players typically aren't getting scholarships. Part of it also goes to the locker room upgrades that were promised to Tedford more than a decade ago, but never came to fruition

Someday, when you've achieved the success you plan on achieving, you may be inclined to give something back to your alma mater and there may or may not be a message board pooping on you for doing just that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Someday, when you've achieved the success you plan on achieving, you may be inclined to give something back to your alma mater and there may or may not be a message board pooping on you for doing just that. 

I wouldn't give a nickel to my alma mater. 

• Like 2