***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

https://ew.com/events/star-wars-celebration-2019/amp/

Episode IX

Friday — 11 a.m. CT/12 p.m. ET Finally! The first trailer for the December film (and surely a title) will be presented during an epic panel featuring director J.J. Abrams and special guests. We're likely to see new stars and veterans, creatures and droids, and maybe some surprises.

The ppl at the panel will see the trailer.  Whether or not LucasFilm/Disney releases it to the rest of us tomorrow remains to be seen.  Usually at conventions like this, those kind of trailers generally aren't released the same day publicly.  I'll wait until they do So I can see it in HD and not some bootlegged copy from somebody's janky Samsung phone in the back of the ballroom.  LoL

3 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Will Mary Poppins be in this next movie? Or SJW Rose, whose story line has nothing to do with what actually happens? The Force is Female in case you didnt know.

It really is a shame that more writers can't adopt a G Martin approach to these characters. I know I gripe about his hiatus but Martin knows how to deal with Mary Sue's or in his case Gary Sues. If Rose was in GOT she wouldn't have even gotten named after one of Ramsey's dogs.

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It really is a shame that more writers can't adopt a G Martin approach to these characters. I know I gripe about his hiatus but Martin knows how to deal with Mary Sue's or in his case Gary Sues. If Rose was in GOT she wouldn't have even gotten named after one of Ramsey's dogs.

Thats the thing. GoT is maybe the biggest tv show of all time. Guys of all ages, size, and intellect love it. Women love it......Guess what? It has bad *** female characters. No one cares. They are written well and serve a purpose in the show. Ive never once in 76 episodes thought "Why was a woman placed here, or why was a woman cast for this role."

Hollywood doesnt realize that men dont care if there are strong female roles. We just want them to be written well and not shoehorned into a role. Ghostbusters failed because it was a ****ty movie. The Alien series thrived because it was in the hands of writers and directors that knew what they were doing. Sara Conner? Bad *** in Terminator and Terminator 2. The new movie? Its a SJW wet dream. Its going to fail hard, and I have no interest in it at all. Maybe people should look at movies like Salt. Made 300 million worldwide, and it was a female driven action movie that people actually wanted to see.

But no.......The Force is Female.

• Like 4

Just now, devils1854 said:

Thats the thing. GoT is maybe the biggest tv show of all time. Guys of all ages, size, and intellect love it. Women love it......Guess what? It has bad *** female characters. No one cares. They are written well and serve a purpose in the show. Ive never once in 76 episodes thought "Why was a woman placed here, or why was a woman cast for this role."

Hollywood doesnt realize that men dont care if there are strong female roles. We just want them to be written well and not shoehorned into a role. Ghostbusters failed because it was a ****ty movie. The Alien series thrived because it was in the hands of writers and directors that knew what they were doing. Sara Conner? Bad *** in Terminator and Terminator 2. The new movie? Its a SJW wet dream. Its going to fail hard, and I have no interest in it at all. Maybe people should look at movies like Salt. Made 300 million worldwide, and it was a female driven action movie that people actually wanted to see.

Yep, you complain something is a **** movie and you're labeled a bigot or one of the many other terms now to try and quiet you. It's the new marketing tactic when people gripe about a movie that the studio tries to paint anyone who dislikes it as evil or toxic.

And yes GOT knew how to build up characters perfectly. If there was ever a way to write female empowerment they should go follow the Arya Stark storyline about writing adversity and overcoming obstacles. Arya didn't just have to look inward to overcome everything external, she would have been murdered the first episode she tried anything. What happened? She ran for like 5 books, and 6 seasons. She killed here and there but mostly she survived learning anything she could here and there along the way until she became arguably one of the best fighters in the show and arguably the deadliest person there. It took a long time to do, like it took a long time for Luke Skywalker to become a Jedi which he didn't even do until movie 3 set years into the future. That's great story telling but people now days are easily entertained and don't appreciate it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, devils1854 said:

It's weird how I can pretty much agree with the Hollywood agenda part of this post, but completely disagree that TLJ was a victim of it.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Christ, this turned into a cesspool super quick.

Fragility is strong in this thread.

Stop.  Rose was a **** character and literally everybody knows it.  That's coming from the biggest TLJ defender on this site.  40 years of Star Wars fandom, which essentially created strong female characters in science fiction/fantasy and now people are fragile because they don't like a terribly-written character?  Stop. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Stop.  Rose was a **** character and literally everybody knows it.  That's coming from the biggest TLJ defender on this site.  40 years of Star Wars fandom, which essentially created strong female characters in science fiction/fantasy and now people are fragile because they don't like a terribly-written character?  Stop. 

Really no reason to keep crying about it though. Which is what people are doing about Rose. 

Do you think it's cool that social media comments made her delete her entire SM presence because of **** like what you're defending? 'Cause I don't.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Do you think it's cool that social media comments made her delete her entire SM presence because of **** like what you're defending? 'Cause I don't.

Obviously not.  That they're attacking her for Disney's decision is wrong and cruel and I feel bad for the person.  That's not what people are doing here.  They're not fragile.  They're fragile about a beloved series and how they perceive it to have been ruined, but they're not fragile about what you're accusing them of being fragile about. 

As far as people continuing to cry about it, that's kinda annoying to me, too.  Especially how everyone acts like TLJ was this terrible, god-awful movie and that it's unanimously accepted that it's a terrible movie.  If it was that bad, it would have a lower rating than 7.2 on IMDB. 

Movies that are universally hated or really bad do not maintain a 7.0 a year after their release. 

Like a good portion of my favorite movies, TLJ will appreciate with time. 

• Like 1

See, I didn't have a problem with a big chunk of Rose's character outside of the whole preventing a soldier from giving his life to stop the First Order thing so she can give him a little kiss.  The main problem I had with her was plot related, and the fact that she and Finn had no chemistry at all.  She was just kind of there, and didn't interact with him.  Their whole side mission was heavy handed, and IMO dumb.

Rey is absolutely a Mary Sue, but I'm OK with that to a degree in movies.  I was fine with it in the first movie, because the first movie was fun, Rey and Finn were great on screen together, and it was 90% fanservice (which, as a fan, I'm all about).  TLJ didn't have enough going on to save the bad writing, just the most boring chase sequence ever, bad, pointless sideplots, and a thematic bait and switch that kinda ruins the whole "we're trying something different this time" thing that it had going.

If IX gets a good audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, I might still end up convincing myself to see it.  But I don't know, man.  I feel like the films that aren't part of the main storyline are where they should experiment, not the main timeline.  I liked that Rogue One was different in tone and execution that the regular continuity.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

See, I didn't have a problem with a big chunk of Rose's character outside of the whole preventing a soldier from giving his life to stop the First Order thing so she can give him a little kiss.  The main problem I had with her was plot related, and the fact that she and Finn had no chemistry at all.  She was just kind of there, and didn't interact with him.  Their whole side mission was heavy handed, and IMO dumb.

This is the main thing I can agree with about TLJ.  It was an unfortunate side plot that hopefully is given meaning in the final film in this trilogy.  Other than Rose and Finn plotline, I think TLJ was a top 4 Star Wars movie. 

• Like 1