2019 NFL Draft Thread v5.0

BayRaider

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ferrell not go until day 2. Ferrell seems like a dime-a-dozen end who will play in the league a long time, but is not a difference maker in any way. The more ends I watch the further down he goes on my list.

Clelin Ferrell will be an even better Frank Clark. His tape is amazing. He will be a great run defender from day one and a 10 sack a year guy. Yeah he’ll never be a Mack or Bosa but that’s fine. 

Gary’s tape is subpar. You’re basically drafting a super athletic run defender hoping he can develop into a pass rusher. The more I watch Gary, the more I think his potential will not be realized in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Clelin Ferrell will be an even better Frank Clark. His tape is amazing. He will be a great run defender from day one and a 10 sack a year guy. Yeah he’ll never be a Mack or Bosa but that’s fine. 

Gary’s tape is subpar. You’re basically drafting a super athletic run defender hoping he can develop into a pass rusher. The more I watch Gary, the more I think his potential will not be realized in the NFL. 

They always link the Raiders to these athletic, but un- productive college players because Al davis would fall for them.

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't agree with you at all with Ferrell being better than Clark. Clark has fierce speed and pass rushing techniques that most DEs would never attempt. He rushes with reckless abandonment of the run. Anyone that's watched his YouTube highlights knows this. Ferrell just doesn't do that.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I don't agree with you at all with Ferrell being better than Clark. Clark has fierce speed and pass rushing techniques that most DEs would never attempt. He rushes with reckless abandonment of the run. Anyone that's watched his YouTube highlights knows this. Ferrell just doesn't do that.

O.o

Clark was raw coming out of the draft. Ferrell is more polished coming out with even more room to improve. Comparing 2019 Clark and 2019 Ferrell being a rookie isn’t a fair comparison. 

I’m basically giving him a player comp and it’s been said by more than me. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

O.o

Clark was raw coming out of the draft. Ferrell is more polished coming out with even more room to improve. Comparing 2019 Clark and 2019 Ferrell being a rookie isn’t a fair comparison. 

And Ferrell is still ascending people will be sorry.

I think a possibly realistic draft with a trade down with the redskins (and get their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and our draft could look like:

1. Brian Burns DE

1. Hollywood Brown WR

1. Jeffrey Simmons DT

2. Polite DE

2. Savage S 

3. BPA

4. Darrell Henderson RB

Just now, TheMadStork said:

I think a possibly realistic draft with a trade down with the redskins (and get their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) and our draft could look like:

1. Brian Burns DE

1. Hollywood Brown WR

1. Jeffrey Simmons DT

2. Polite DE

2. Savage S 

3. BPA

4. Darrell Henderson RB

Not a bad draft at all. Two EDGE’s, Simmons is a Top 5 Player in the whole draft, and Hollywood is the 2nd best RB/WE/TE player in the entire draft only behind T.J. Hockenson imo. 

My final mock draft is ending with the raiders building the front 7. I know some people will say bad value with White and Gary is a bust. But I disagree. 

4. Oakland Raiders - Devin White LB - LSU

***TRADE 9 and 40 to Raiders for 27 and 24
9. Oakland Raiders - R. Gary DE Michigan

***TRADE 19 and 82 to Raiders for 35 and 40
19. Oakland Raiders - C. Ferrell DE - Clemson

82. Oakland Raiders - L. Johnson CB - Kentucky 

106. Oakland Raiders - B. Love RB - Stanford

Ferrell/Mayowa - Hurst/Hall - Ellis/Hankins - Gary/Key

White/Lee - Burfict - Marshall/Whitehead

Johnson could push to start next to Conely. Joyner in the slot in Nickle and FS in the base defense. Joseph at SS and Harris or Richards as the 3rd safety. Worley and Lawson are good depth at CB

With the weapons we added in Offense in FA.

We could be a much much improved team in 2019.

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

O.o

I’m basically giving him a player comp and it’s been said by more than me. 

I'm not saying Ferrell will be bad by any means. I just don't personally see the comp. I'm bad at player comps though. Just think they're different.

And I'm joking about the YouTube highlights, I always joke about that because that's a pretty common response when people disagree, mocking the other person saying they probably just watched some YouTube highlights.

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I am not amazed by Ferrell's tape and I don't think the Clark comp is apt. Clark is a stand-up rusher in Seattle who is explosive off the jump and is almost hyperactive in his pursuit of the quarterback. Ferrell is more of a 3-point stance set the line guy who will not win much with burst in the NFL but has good length and strength for setting the edge and getting some bull rush pressures. I think Ferrell's double-digit sack seasons will be few and far between.

I also disagree that Gary's tape is subpar. Gary is extremely strong and fast for his size who doesn't have a lot in terms of pass rush moves or hand usage, but he still gets pressure one-on-one and he has an endless motor. I also disagree with the sentiment that Gary is boom or bust. Gary doesn't have a lot of bad tape, but he has what I call "quiet" tape. Quiet tape can be good, bad, or neutral, but I thought much of his quiet tape was due to either his lack of proficient hand usage (getting stuck on blocks) or scheme (holding the line/setting the edge). That said, he rarely was the cause of an offense's success.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I am not amazed by Ferrell's tape and I don't think the Clark comp is apt. Clark is a stand-up rusher in Seattle who is explosive off the jump and is almost hyperactive in his pursuit of the quarterback. Ferrell is more of a 3-point stance set the line guy who will not win much with burst in the NFL but has good length and strength for setting the edge and getting some bull rush pressures. I think Ferrell's double-digit sack seasons will be few and far between.

I also disagree that Gary's tape is subpar. Gary is extremely strong and fast for his size who doesn't have a lot in terms of pass rush moves or hand usage, but he still gets pressure one-on-one and he has an endless motor. I also disagree with the sentiment that Gary is boom or bust. Gary doesn't have a lot of bad tape, but he has what I call "quiet" tape. Quiet tape can be good, bad, or neutral, but I thought much of his quiet tape was due to either his lack of proficient hand usage (getting stuck on blocks) or scheme (holding the line/setting the edge). That said, he rarely was the cause of an offense's success.

I never said Gary was boom or bust. I think he’ll be a great edge rub defender while piling up 4-5 sacks a year. This is something I’d draft at the back end of the 2nd Round honestly. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I never said Gary was boom or bust. I think he’ll be a great edge rub defender while piling up 4-5 sacks a year. This is something I’d draft at the back end of the 2nd Round honestly. 

I wasn't responding to you; I was responding to the "sentiment" that he is boom or bust. Also, I don't necessarily think Gary will be a double-digit sack guy year-to-year, but I do think he'll be a high-end pressure guy--similar to Brandon Graham.

50 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree on Burns. I think Burns is more or less already a finished product. He's long and skilled as a pass rusher, but he has absolutely no power in his game and his long legs sap some of his ability to bend the edge--which he will have to do more often if he's not going to convert speed to power. I just don't see players with Burns' profile become top edge prospects often in the NFL. My comp from the beginning for him is Leonard Floyd.

A player I liked much more last year was Lorenzo Carter. Despite being profiling as almost identical athletes. Carter has a power element to his game I never saw from Burns.

Unlike Carter, Burns has great tape. Carter had almost no tape and a very good combine.  

Watch some of Burns highlights. He uses his hands and has a better spin than any DE I’ve watched this year. That’s including Josh Allen. I think Burn has very good bend. I also think he’s far from a finished product; in fact his thin 6’5” frame shows so much room to gain strength. Just my opinion. 

Archived