Jump to content
vike daddy

Amazon and Disney vying for rights to NFL Sunday Ticket

Recommended Posts

Come on, Amazon let's go!!

 Been hoping for NFL ticket to get off of DirectTv for years. It's trash. I had to use my friends apartment address, have them put it on his credit card with the billing address matching, venmo him, and then have my firestick stream it, but the connection and navigating was still horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Dependability? And--you might not care, but the NFL should.  

The SNF and TNF streams have been good and dependable.  It's just DTV that has trouble with it.  

It shouldn't really be surprising to us that services that specialize in streaming would do it better than a service that specializes in live satellite feeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What honestly infuriates me is that the NFL has clearly created a monopoly and fans have done nothing really to speak up about it. Of the 14-16 games each week, 12 of them are on at the SAME time on 2 networks (CBS/FOX), creating a geographical conflict and denying you as a fan the opportunity to choose which game you'd like to watch, without shelling out a ridiculous amount of money, locking you into an egregious 2 year DIRECTV contract with another ON TOP Sunday Ticket purchase.

To top it off, you need NFL Network/ESPN to watch two other Prime Time games (Thursday Night/Monday Night football).

NCAA football is so far ahead of this that it's not even funny. From noon to 1:00 AM, I can watch about any college football game I want as long as I have a basic cable package. Even without cable, I can watch:

The SEC Game of the Week on CBS. (Afternoon)

The BIG 12 Game of the Week on FOX. (Starts an hour and 15 minutes before the ABC prime time game)

The GAME of the Week on ABC. (8:15-8:30, after Fox has started)

An assortment of other games, specifically my geographical affiliate 10 out of 12 times on local channels (Ohio State), meaning that I could really get away with going to some type of sports bar/a friend's house to watch games that I want only offered on ESPN/B1G Network the other 2-3 games of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I couldn't get DTV in my area because of the trees, so I did Sunday Ticket through my PS3. It was GARBAGE. Worst money I've ever spent. 

I use the student discount and get it streaming through the app on the Roku for $99. Works great for me.

Thats also what you get for trying to use a PS3 for anything in the year 2019 lol Trying to use 2006 technology/parts/hardware. Buy a Roku for $39 and download the Sunday Ticket app from the channel store and it works just as smooth as HBO or Netflix.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 8:04 AM, theJ said:

The SNF and TNF streams have been good and dependable.  It's just DTV that has trouble with it.  

It shouldn't really be surprising to us that services that specialize in streaming would do it better than a service that specializes in live satellite feeds.

A great deal of that dependability is on the internet provider. What sort of problems has DirecTV developed with their game broadcasts? I wasn't aware of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I use the student discount and get it streaming through the app on the Roku for $99. Works great for me.

Thats also what you get for trying to use a PS3 for anything in the year 2019 lol Trying to use 2006 technology/parts/hardware. Buy a Roku for $39 and download the Sunday Ticket app from the channel store and it works just as smooth as HBO or Netflix.

This was in 2016, and MLB's equivalent service worked flawlessly.I welcome all competition for Sunday Ticket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

This was in 2016, and MLB's equivalent service worked flawlessly.I welcome all competition for Sunday Ticket. 

As long as the new company doesnt screw with my student discount package and offer something similar Im cool with whatever. Im not about to go from paying $99 for ST to full price $300+ because the new company doesnt give a discount to people with a active university email address.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2019 at 4:20 PM, Heinz D. said:

I'm legitimately confused by them even considering moving away from DirecTV, yet still considering the Ticket as something approaching what it was. Unless you get the Ticket as a promotional deal, it's a fair amount of money. How does that even jibe with Disney+ (starts at $7/month) or Amazon Prime (around $15/month)? I mean...how would they make it work? Also, having the ticket streaming only would be an incredibly bad move, as that's simply not reliable enough for a product that wants to be everywhere, on time and without flaws. The NFL needs to wise up and put aside the massive upfront money and diversify the thing, including doing pay-per-view for single games, or packages of games. They'd end up making more money, and serving their fan base better. 

All these streaming services are starting to feel a bit like Ponzi schemes lately.  The massive financial outlays and commitments they're making upfront to buy their way into securing "exclusive content" rights.  If the new subscribers stop trickling in or people start getting fed up with having to buy half a dozen different subscriptions and cancel in numbers...i honestly don't know how they're going to remain viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

All these streaming services are starting to feel a bit like Ponzi schemes lately.  The massive financial outlays and commitments they're making upfront to buy their way into securing "exclusive content" rights.  If the new subscribers stop trickling in or people start getting fed up with having to buy half a dozen different subscriptions and cancel in numbers...i honestly don't know how they're going to remain viable.

The alternatives are piracy and cable.

Piracy will always exist, cable is dying and will likely be around for years to come but is still dying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

A great deal of that dependability is on the internet provider. What sort of problems has DirecTV developed with their game broadcasts? I wasn't aware of that. 

A lot of people have complained about their streaming service.  It was unreliable, and obviously couldn't support the demand people put on it.

Now, that as of a few years when i tried it last and really paid attention to it.  Maybe it's gotten better, but i seem to remember people complaining about it even last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I already have Amazon Prime so I hope it goes to them lol

It will undoubtedly be an add-on or a stand along package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whatever they do, they better drop the price down... $300 -$400 (depending on package) for the service is ridiculous.. MLB.TV is $119 for way more games.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theJ said:

It will undoubtedly be an add-on or a stand along package.

I'm sure it would be. But one less main sub to buy. If Amazon gets it, I'd consider buying it depending on the price.

Honestly whoever gets the rights to it really should offer single-team Game passes. Most fans don't care about watching every single game and I feel there's a large market for people wanting to watch their team despite them not living in the area. If there was an affordable streaming service that simply allowed me to watch all 16 Dolphins games each season I'd jump all over it. Really don't want to pay the extra cost to get access to the large bulk of games that I have no interest in actually watching (live, anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×