Flashback: Mel Kiper's comments about Brady in 2000

7DnBrnc53

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

His take on Mack Wilson was just strange.  McShay had Pratt as an EDGE rusher which is a real headscratcher.  I keep wondering who these guys are watching.

Oh that was it. Says he's a great coverage backer sideline-to-sideline or something? That aint him

28 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Oh that was it. Says he's a great coverage backer sideline-to-sideline or something? That aint him

Kiper's pick: Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama

This is all about filling a need. Wilson doesn't have the lateral athleticism of the top two off-the-ball linebackers, Devin White and Devin Bush, but he'll be a force in the run game.

McShay's pick: Germaine Pratt, OLB, NC State

Pittsburgh still needs an edge rusher. I like Pratt's angles and closing speed, and he could develop into a starter behind T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree.

These were the two I was talking about.  Realize I just looked at the Steeler picks but I do not think I could handle much more than that.

• Like 1

Quite honestly, this is pretty tame and positive for a guy taken at 199.

They talked about how he was a leader, and how the Michigan offense played better with him than with the supposedly more talented Drew Henson. They talked about how he threw accurate passes and was still growing as a player, becoming more and more adept at reading defenses and cutting down mistakes. They noted he had quality touch on his passes. The only weakness they bring up is mobility, but also note that the offense was built around Bledsoe’s lack of mobility. 

On 4/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, Outpost31 said:

I watched all that and the only thing I came away thinking was that Mike Sherman looked really angry. 

And that GB did, in fact, have to worry about their QB position.

And that holy cow looking back with hindsight is strange. 

Mike Sherman looks like the un-sub in an episode of Criminal Minds here. 

• Like 3

Seems like most scouting reports had very positive things to say about Brady. Saying he was accurate, he had a good enough arm with good touch, was a good decision maker with low interception numbers, he was constantly improving, he had great leadership qualities, and most importantly he was a winner unlike his supposedly more talented successor. I guess all of those positives meant nothing since he ran a slow 40. Crazy to think how much emphasis was placed on that one number. Wonder how high he could have gone had he only ran a couple fractions of second quicker.

7 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Seems like most scouting reports had very positive things to say about Brady. Saying he was accurate, he had a good enough arm with good touch, was a good decision maker with low interception numbers, he was constantly improving, he had great leadership qualities, and most importantly he was a winner unlike his supposedly more talented successor. I guess all of those positives meant nothing since he ran a slow 40. Crazy to think how much emphasis was placed on that one number. Wonder how high he could have gone had he only ran a couple fractions of second quicker.

He had a lot of intangibles without much a resume though. Let's not sit here and act like Tom Brady is going to be inducted in any College Football hall of fame. There are plenty of college players you can say similar things about who weren't drafted high.

• Like 1

The thing that spooked a lot of NFL scouts was that Brady was sharing time with Drew Henson. 

The Michigan coaching staff loved Henson and bent over backwards to get him playing time. The NFL scouts thought there was something wrong with Brady, and never realized it was just incompetence on the part of Lloyd Carr. 

The Patriots were guilty of that as well. Had they known then what they know now, they would have taken Brady in the second round (they had no first rounder in 2000). 

8 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

The thing that spooked a lot of NFL scouts was that Brady was sharing time with Drew Henson. 

The Michigan coaching staff loved Henson and bent over backwards to get him playing time. The NFL scouts thought there was something wrong with Brady, and never realized it was just incompetence on the part of Lloyd Carr. 

The Patriots were guilty of that as well. Had they known then what they know now, they would have taken Brady in the second round (they had no first rounder in 2000). 

I wonder if the combine also had something to do with it. His performance and appearance (he looked like a malnourished kid on a Sally Struthers commercial) didn't inspire greatness.

14 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Brady's skill sets didn't mean much against lousy defense on college level.

Edited by William Lee