2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'll take the short ones over the back breaking deep stuff.  I know we haven't been impressed with his play this year, but I just thought that comparison maybe made it not so bad somehow.  Zim seems to be ok with it so far.  At least he hasn't benched him yet.

Has Zimmer ever benched a veteran player that wasn’t related to an injury?

im just trying to think of an example of this but he’s pretty loyal to his opening day starting roster. 

36 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Has Zimmer ever benched a veteran player that wasn’t related to an injury?

im just trying to think of an example of this but he’s pretty loyal to his opening day starting roster. 

I don't know about out right benching anyone  but maybe reducing their snaps. Brian Robison comes to mind for that.

It'd be interesting to see the snap counts of the corners. I feel like Hughes is getting more playing time lately

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

How many penalty yards has he given up relative to those CBs?

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2019&view=players

Xavier Rhodes - 6 defensive penalties for 100 yards

Jalen Ramsey - No record listed

Stephon Gilmore - 3 defensive penalties for 15 yards

Trae Waynes - 2 defensive penalties for 63 yards

48 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2019&view=players

Xavier Rhodes - 6 defensive penalties for 100 yards

Jalen Ramsey - No record listed

Stephon Gilmore - 3 defensive penalties for 15 yards

Trae Waynes - 2 defensive penalties for 63 yards

Good to know. I think you have to include those yards. Doesn’t look so good then.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Uncle Buck said:

This is interesting if it's true.

When Rhodes was great he followed the best receiver around the field.  Clearly cannot do that anymore and they picked on Hughes big time last night.  Made some great plays early but as the game went on he got beat more and more.  Thought maybe Waynes not being out there was going to help but did not.  All the DBs just seem a step slow and that is disappointing especially considering how long Rhodes, Harrison and Waynes (when healthy) have been together.  Think they would be a much better and more cohesive pass coverage unit than they are. 

Dak is an improved QB and they clearly wanted him to beat them instead of Zek and he was really close to doing exactly that.  They dominating throwing the football and did they even punt once in the 2nd half?  At least they got the win but the secondary is clearly an issue and with the free agents they have coming up next year they need to address it in the draft and it has to be a 1st or 2nd round pick most likely.  Hell Jaleel and Stephen played pretty good at the DT spots compared to the secondary in that Dallas game.  

To Rhodes credit last night he did not get beat much but he was also not challenged much either.  They really went at Hughes and hopefully he can learn a lot from that, he should of had a pick 6 early in the game that could have changed everything.    

• Like 1

Bucs just waved Vernon Hargreaves.  Sure he has kind of disappointed as a 1st round pick but I would like him on the Vikings to help at corner but doubt it happens.  Is arguably the best CB available but probably will not be for long.  

Freaking sweet they signed Andrew Sendejo again, love him as a backup compared to freaking Epps and it was a good move.  Sendejo is more of a hit man but at least provides a little depth in a need position if anyone gets hurt at safety.  

On 11/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, Ozzy said:

When Rhodes was great he followed the best receiver around the field.  Clearly cannot do that anymore and they picked on Hughes big time last night.  Made some great plays early but as the game went on he got beat more and more.  Thought maybe Waynes not being out there was going to help but did not.  All the DBs just seem a step slow and that is disappointing especially considering how long Rhodes, Harrison and Waynes (when healthy) have been together.  Think they would be a much better and more cohesive pass coverage unit than they are. 

Dak is an improved QB and they clearly wanted him to beat them instead of Zek and he was really close to doing exactly that.  They dominating throwing the football and did they even punt once in the 2nd half?  At least they got the win but the secondary is clearly an issue and with the free agents they have coming up next year they need to address it in the draft and it has to be a 1st or 2nd round pick most likely.  Hell Jaleel and Stephen played pretty good at the DT spots compared to the secondary in that Dallas game.  

To Rhodes credit last night he did not get beat much but he was also not challenged much either.  They really went at Hughes and hopefully he can learn a lot from that, he should of had a pick 6 early in the game that could have changed everything.    

Is he 100% back from the ACL injury yet?

I thought Hughes played okay in his role against the Cowboys. He seemed to do very favorably against the Gallup and the lower tier Cowboys' receivers and really only gave up the toe tap sensational grabs against Cooper. He didn't play phenomenally, but there is promise that he can take over for Rhodes next year, which would be my hope.

5 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I thought Hughes played okay in his role against the Cowboys. He seemed to do very favorably against the Gallup and the lower tier Cowboys' receivers and really only gave up the toe tap sensational grabs against Cooper. He didn't play phenomenally, but there is promise that he can take over for Rhodes next year, which would be my hope.

Still feel it’s more likely that Rhodes returns over Waynes for the fact that Rhodes already has been paid (hopefully they can rework his deal to make it cheaper) and Waynes has a chance at getting paid for future potential. Waynes will be making more than Rhodes next year is my estimation. And they have to pay Alexander for future production as well and that probably won’t be cheap either.

i think we will see Rhodes, Hughes and Alexander as the top 3 CBs with Hill and another high pick as the reserves in 2020.

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Still feel it’s more likely that Rhodes returns over Waynes for the fact that Rhodes already has been paid (hopefully they can rework his deal to make it cheaper) and Waynes has a chance at getting paid for future potential. Waynes will be making more than Rhodes next year is my estimation. And they have to pay Alexander for future production as well and that probably won’t be cheap either.

i think we will see Rhodes, Hughes and Alexander as the top 3 CBs with Hill and another high pick as the reserves in 2020.

I agree with you that keeping Rhodes over Waynes is more likely, but man is that a scary proposition. I really just want Rhodes off the field for us, his play is only to get worse as he ages.

16 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I agree with you that keeping Rhodes over Waynes is more likely, but man is that a scary proposition. I really just want Rhodes off the field for us, his play is only to get worse as he ages.

Zimmer and Rhodes need to figure it out in the offseason but hopefully Hill or another early pick at CB can be worked into the rotation to limit Rhodes reps. This scenario is all dependent upon having a LCB who can play most of the snaps as Waynes has and we need Hughes to be that player in year 3. 

But ultimately, what’s better for the team? Paying Rhodes and Alexander $18 million per year combined or paying Waynes alone maybe $15m and needing to find a veteran slot Cb on the cheap. I don’t think it’s feasible to extend both Alexander and Waynes and I think you could argue that Alexander is better against his peers (as a nickel/slot CB) than Waynes is (as a starting boundary). 

At least letting Waynes walk opens the door to potentially finding a better starter in the draft than Waynes ever developed into and should net a third round comp pick. If you keep Waynes and Hughes as your starters, it may be hard to justify taking a CB early.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

What you just have to hope is that he can recognize the weakening of his physical skills and learn to adjust his play as a result.  I know he's tried some, but that may need to be done over an offseason...and working with Terence (if he can get Terence to come back and assist in the offseason).  

• Like 2

Does safety talk go in here too? Because I still  have no idea why Kearse doesn't play more. I know he has legal issue that is ongoing, but the rumor swirling on twitter is this is his last year in Minnesota, yet he's been one of the best players in coverage for the Vikings.

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

Does safety talk go in here too? Because I still  have no idea why Kearse doesn't play more. I know he has legal issue that is ongoing, but the rumor swirling on twitter is this is his last year in Minnesota, yet he's been one of the best players in coverage for the Vikings.

Kearse is definitely better than Sendejo.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Kearse is definitely better than Sendejo.

Kearse got away with some holds in that game.  But did play decent coverage on Fant late, at least used his length to get in his way and quickness.  Sendejo is a far superior tackler to Kearse though especially in the box.  But again with how bad Rhodes has been moving him to safety makes a lot of sense especially next year.

No clue why Hughes is still back returning punts, he looked rough.  Surprised he did not play more CB outside with how bad Rhodes was playing.  Great they got two wins but honestly with how bad the D played this past two games it seems like two losses in many ways.  Hopefully this Bye week can help them square a lot of things away or think of something new to do with the talent they have.