2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

On 11/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, wcblack34 said:

They should transition Rhodes to unrestricted free agency next year...

With his dead money dropping significantly after this year, they have the opportunity to renegotiate his contract with the "transition to UFA" as a last resort.  

Edited by swede700

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

With his dead money dropping significantly after this year, they have the opportunity to renegotiate his contract with the "transition to UFA" as a last resort.  

I don't think that should be a last resort, at all. His play this year has not warranted any significant compensation. Rhodes on the field, at any price, has show himself to be a liability. With the progression you'd expect to see from Hughes, Hill, and Alexander, extending Waynes at Xavier's expense will free up room elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think that should be a last resort, at all. His play this year has not warranted any significant compensation. Rhodes on the field, at any price, has show himself to be a liability. With the progression you'd expect to see from Hughes, Hill, and Alexander, extending Waynes at Xavier's expense will free up room elsewhere. 

The problem is that you can't trust Hill at this point and as of right now, Alexander is scheduled to be a free agent.  They need to have a significant veteran.  I think if they didn't trade him before this season (which they should have in my opinion), you have to keep him now, albeit at a lower price.  They may still be able to trade him, but you aren't going to get the return you could prior to the season, and cutting him isn't an option, because then you are guaranteed to not get a return.  

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, swede700 said:

The problem is that you can't trust Hill at this point and as of right now, Alexander is scheduled to be a free agent.  They need to have a significant veteran.  I think if they didn't trade him before this season (which they should have in my opinion), you have to keep him now, albeit at a lower price.  They may still be able to trade him, but you aren't going to get the return you could prior to the season, and cutting him isn't an option, because then you are guaranteed to not get a return.  

Ramsey should let Teams know that you don't get your return on CB's. LOL at the Rams!

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What's the worst case scenario look like for next year?

Rhodes - cut
Waynes, Alexander, Harris, and Kearse - leave in FA

We're left with...

CB: Hughes, Hill, and Boyd

S: Smith and Sendejo

I highly doubt that scenario plays out but that doesn't look pretty. At all.

That's certainly worst case, but also not likely.  It should be noted that Sendejo is a pending FA as well.  I think they'll manage to find some way to bring back Alexander and Harris.  Those are the only 2 I see them prioritizing.  But, even so, it'll all be dependent upon what's done with Rhodes, Everson and Linval.  The defense probably isn't going to look the same next year.

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

That's certainly worst case, but also not likely.  It should be noted that Sendejo is a pending FA as well.  I think they'll manage to find some way to bring back Alexander and Harris.  Those are the only 2 I see them prioritizing.  But, even so, it'll all be dependent upon what's done with Rhodes, Everson and Linval.  

Forgot about Sendejo, I'm fairly indifferent if he returns.

Agreed on Alexander and Harris being the priority. I'd like to squeeze Kearse in there but he sounds like he wants to move on.

These are the problems that a cash-strapped team with high priced stars go through. It means that we need to get the most bang for the buck. 

To me, that means letting Rhodes go, using the savings to lock up Alexander or Waynes, getting Griffen and Linval to restructure, and drafting well again. 

Another draft like this year's, and this won't look so bad. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

These are the problems that a cash-strapped team with high priced stars go through. It means that we need to get the most bang for the buck. 

To me, that means letting Rhodes go, using the savings to lock up Alexander or Waynes, getting Griffen and Linval to restructure, and drafting well again. 

Another draft like this year's, and this won't look so bad. 

Griffen's contract should void if I'm not mistaken. We'll see what he wants for a new deal. The Vikings stuck by him last year and gave him the support he needed. Hopefully he returns the favor and finishes his career in Viking purple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Griffen's contract should void if I'm not mistaken. We'll see what he wants for a new deal. The Vikings stuck by him last year and gave him the support he needed. Hopefully he returns the favor and finishes his career in Viking purple.

He can choose to void his contract, but doesn't have to. The remaining years pay him pretty well if I recall correctly.

• Like 1