2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

On 2019-10-21 at 7:35 AM, swede700 said:

While I'm not a formation expert, I'm assuming that the "Dime" refers to the fact that there's 6 DBs and 4 DL (for a total of 10 non-LBs), or am I mistaken?

It’s just a pun, AFAIK. Dime is the next step up from nickel.

7 DB formations sometimes get called “quarter” or “dollar”.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 12:08 AM, y*so*blu said:

This is random and probably very basic, but ... can somebody explain to me what the heck a nickel defense is? (And for corners, the difference between a nickel back and a dime back?)

Don't feel bad, buddy.  Lord Favre didn't know what a nickel defense was for a long time either. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Krauser said:

It’s just a pun, AFAIK. Dime is the next step up from nickel.

7 DB formations sometimes get called “quarter” or “dollar”.

are quarterback, halfback and fullback just puns too? i'll always been confused that the fullback plays in front of the halfback.

46 minutes ago, whitehops said:

are quarterback, halfback and fullback just puns too? i'll always been confused that the fullback plays in front of the halfback.

According to this article — https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football_positions — they were originally descriptive terms (in rugby). But as the game has evolved, the terms no longer refer to where the positions usually line up.

IIRC there was similar evolution of positional terminology in soccer.

Central defenders are called centre-backs but used to be called centre-halfs, while wide defenders are called fullbacks (or just backs, as in right back or left back). This is because the centre half used to be a midfield position and there were only 2 fullbacks. As the game evolved, the centre-half dropped into the back line (and eventually was duplicated for teams playing 4 at the back), with the fullbacks splitting outside to make room. 

• Like 1

The Vikings secondary could get a boost going forward, as cornerback Holton Hill is now eligible to return from suspension. The second-year cornerback was assessed a pair of four-game suspensions in the offseason.

Hill: “It’s an amazing feeling. I’m happy to be back with the guys. I’m just ready to get to work. I’m really grateful for this opportunity, most people only get one opportunity at this, so I’m really grateful to be with such a great organization that stood by me and believes in me. I'm just being really attentive in meetings, and when I was able to work out, just going hard and realizing when I was out that I wanted to come back full-speed.”

Hill wasn’t allowed inside Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center the first four weeks of the season, but said he spent time working out on his own in the Twin Cities. The cornerback was allowed inside the team facility over the past four weeks, but could only attend meetings. He hasn’t practiced with the Vikings since before the preseason.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-holton-hill-grateful-for-opportunity-to-return?sf222413549=1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings secondary could get a boost going forward, as cornerback Holton Hill is now eligible to return from suspension. The second-year cornerback was assessed a pair of four-game suspensions in the offseason.

Hill: “It’s an amazing feeling. I’m happy to be back with the guys. I’m just ready to get to work. I’m really grateful for this opportunity, most people only get one opportunity at this, so I’m really grateful to be with such a great organization that stood by me and believes in me. I'm just being really attentive in meetings, and when I was able to work out, just going hard and realizing when I was out that I wanted to come back full-speed.”

Hill wasn’t allowed inside Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center the first four weeks of the season, but said he spent time working out on his own in the Twin Cities. The cornerback was allowed inside the team facility over the past four weeks, but could only attend meetings. He hasn’t practiced with the Vikings since before the preseason.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-holton-hill-grateful-for-opportunity-to-return?sf222413549=1

Good for him, and they sure do need him.  Will be interesting if he gets some starting time with Rhodes and Waynes just playing so so recently.  But curious how he looks out there when he gets his chance.  

Unless there are multiple injuries, he has zero chance of getting any starting time.  I'd actually be surprised to see him out there at all this week.  My guess is that we wouldn't see him until the Dallas game at the earliest.   

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unless there are multiple injuries, he has zero chance of getting any starting time.  I'd actually be surprised to see him out there at all this week.  My guess is that we wouldn't see him until the Dallas game at the earliest.   

Might depend on Kearse. I could see Hill filling in as the nickel that Kearse plays, now and possibly next year if the Vikes can’t afford to bring Kearse back.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Might depend on Kearse. I could see Hill filling in as the nickel that Kearse plays, now and possibly next year if the Vikes can’t afford to bring Kearse back.

Has Hill even ever played nickel?  I thought he was strictly an outside corner.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kearse started as a Safety and he eventually moved into the big nickel. I am not sure if Hill could do it but he certainly has the size if they want a big athlete like Kearse in that spot.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I believe he did play a little Saftey in Texas and had to cover in slot. He can play big nickel against TEs and Big WRs because of his athleticism. He doesn't have enough experience or quickness to go against smaller slot WR's.    

Edited by dc_vikingfan