2019 Cornerback Coffee Talk, no big whoop...

vike daddy

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

That’s dangerous to have to accommodate your best player, who isn’t a super star QB, to that extreme. Marrone probably deserves to be fired but not because he couldn’t keep Ramsey happy.

If Ramsey's talking, he's probably not the only one in the room that doesn't like Marrone.  Marrone didn't really deserve the job in the first place, considering what he did to the players in Buffalo.  So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's probably not liked in Jacksonville either.  

22 hours ago, swede700 said:

If Ramsey's talking, he's probably not the only one in the room that doesn't like Marrone.  Marrone didn't really deserve the job in the first place, considering what he did to the players in Buffalo.  So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's probably not liked in Jacksonville either.  

I read something somewhere that led me to believe Ramsey's beef was not with Morrone but with Tom Coughlin.  Unfortunately, I can neither remember to details nor the source at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I read something somewhere that led me to believe Ramsey's beef was not with Morrone but with Tom Coughlin.  Unfortunately, I can neither remember to details nor the source at the moment.

Yeah. I heard that as well.  Coughlin is not the kind of guy to coddle players...and is the kind of guy who gives honest feedback, not mincing words.  So called "superstars" in this league (See Brown, Antonio) aren't use to having their ego's pricked by criticism from coaches or front office staff.

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yeah. I heard that as well.  Coughlin is not the kind of guy to coddle players...and is the kind of guy who gives honest feedback, not mincing words.  So called "superstars" in this league (See Brown, Antonio) aren't use to having their ego's pricked by criticism from coaches or front office staff.

Didn’t you just describe Zimmer? Why would he want any part of a player that needs to be coddled?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little disappointing that Xavier Rhodes has gone from one of the best corners in the NFL that Zimmer could use to just take away teams' #1 receiver to the least consistent coverage option on the team. Injuries really seem to have taken their toll and he seems to have lost any explosive athleticism he had. Getting Holton Hill back will help, but I'm honestly not sure why we trot him out there every week in the mean time.

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

It's a little disappointing that Xavier Rhodes has gone from one of the best corners in the NFL that Zimmer could use to just take away teams' #1 receiver to the least consistent coverage option on the team. Injuries really seem to have taken their toll and he seems to have lost any explosive athleticism he had. Getting Holton Hill back will help, but I'm honestly not sure why we trot him out there every week in the mean time.

While not playing at his normal elite level, he's still got a trick or two up his sleeve.  There was a play yesterday where he had a receiver on a go pattern up the left sideline.  X was 1/2 step behind him, but took the inside position keeping the receiver right on the sideline with very little room to catch the ball (he didn't).  That's a mature player right there.  He might not have the same physical skills, but he has the experience and the smarts to do his job.  He's moving on from the All-Pro designation to the Old-Pro title.  Every team needs one or two of those kind of guys.

8 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

His "injuries" sure have added up. When I saw Rhodes leave for a bit early in the game yesterday I thought that rather than telling the grandkids the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf I could just tell them the story of Xavier Rhodes. We'll never know when he has an injury that is actually significant.

One of these days I am going to make fun of his toughness and then feel really badly when I later learn that it was actually a career ending injury that time. But that is the lesson from the story of Xavier Rhodes: when you get "hurt" too often nobody will believe you when you actually are hurt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

This is random and probably very basic, but ... can somebody explain to me what the heck a nickel defense is? (And for corners, the difference between a nickel back and a dime back?)

All it refers to is how many DBs (or often more specifically, how many CBs) are on the field

Nickel = 5 DBs (usually 3 CBs, 2 Ss)
Dime = 6 DBs (usually 4 CBs, 2 Ss)

Years ago, these were subpackages to the traditional base 4-3 or 3-4 defenses, which left 4 DBs (2 CBs, 2 Ss) on the field with the "Front 7." Now, most teams end up running nickel a majority of the time, though the terminology really hasn't changed to my knowledge.

Nickel backs (and dime backs too, I'd assume) usually are the guys who cover interior receivers (see Munnerlyn or an older Winfield for examples).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Klomp said:

All it refers to is how many DBs (or often more specifically, how many CBs) are on the field

Nickel = 5 DBs (usually 3 CBs, 2 Ss)
Dime = 6 DBs (usually 4 CBs, 2 Ss)

Years ago, these were subpackages to the traditional base 4-3 or 3-4 defenses, which left 4 DBs (2 CBs, 2 Ss) on the field with the "Front 7." Now, most teams end up running nickel a majority of the time, though the terminology really hasn't changed to my knowledge.

Nickel backs (and dime backs too, I'd assume) usually are the guys who cover interior receivers (see Munnerlyn or an older Winfield for examples).

While I'm not a formation expert, I'm assuming that the "Dime" refers to the fact that there's 6 DBs and 4 DL (for a total of 10 non-LBs), or am I mistaken?

Vikings cornerback Holton Hill‘s suspension ended Friday, the day after the team’s Week Eight game. Hill served two four-game suspensions, one for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances and one for violating the NFL policy on substances of abuse.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer doesn’t know what kind of impact Hill immediately can have: “I don’t know. He hasn’t practiced in eight weeks. We’ll see how he looks when he gets out there.’’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/25/holton-hills-suspension-officially-ends/