2019 Draft Weekend Discussion!

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Silver&Black88 said:

How does that help? Like it or not, combine hype does play a part in value. Because it causes front offices to act irrationally. You play the man, not the cards.

I watched Ferrell beast on the field and didn't change my mind on him after the combine, and in this case the front office stuck to what they saw 3 months ago and didn't change their minds either..

1 minute ago, Roninho said:

The last part i fully agree.

The first part misses a lot of if's: is there a trade available, is Ferrel available at 10? At 15? at 20? Is there a good value trade available when we need to trade up. how high is the staff on Ferrel versus other prospects. etc.

I don't really believe they had Ferrell as a top 5 player on their board but we'll never know.  Seems more like they just picked the #2 Edge regardless of where the vertical board had him - just like last year when they missed on McGlinchey and took Kolton.

If we traded down for Ferrell and he happened to be gone, apparently Sweat would have been available and we would have had at a minimum a 3rd round pick. Not hating on the prospect we got, but we could have gotten some value even if it's less than chart. We were like I won't trade a dollar for $0.80 and bought the $0.75 candy and left without collecting any change excited to eat.

10 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Actually seems like the exact opposite to me.  Even Mayock said at the press conference that coaches will always go for need over value.  Just like last year, this seems like us locking in on a position instead of going for value.

Doesnt mean Ferrell wont turn into a good player but its a bad use of a top 5 pick.

I fixed it. I meant highest floor.

And i was talking as a prospect. He is a Mayock guy. And really the board is built based on need. Value is based on need. 

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

I don't really believe they had Ferrell as a top 5 player on their board but we'll never know.  Seems more like they just picked the #2 Edge regardless of where the vertical board had him - just like last year when they missed on McGlinchey and took Kolton.

Yeah that would suck if that is the case. 

It all makes sense, Mayock knew that to get value trading down NOONE could know who they truly wanted. He tried to smokescreen with the Murray / Haskins rumours to try to get someone to bite. In the end the three superstar players were taken and there was nobody left that anybody was willing to give up the bank for. The Redskins obviously didn't take the Haskins bait and Ferrell may not have even been there at 15. 

Archived